Steve Jobs: iTunes 10 Icon Does Not ‘Suck’

Haha just installed iTunes 10 and checked out the icon. Jobs is wrong.

It looks like it came from a graphics designer from 2002.

it DOES suck... and as someone else mentioned, it reminds me exactly of WMP. fuck that, when and IF i upgrade to 10.0 i will change the icon back to the old one.

Now that I think about it I would've expected the musical cleft being on top of something like an iPod instead of the CD they used to have.

Haha just installed iTunes 10 and checked out the icon. Jobs is wrong.

It looks like it came from a graphics designer from 2002.
Bingo! We have a winner.

It really is poor design. It's not iconic and looks very generic.

I think I have that exact icon in an icon pack I bought a few years ago when I was designing a brochure and needed fancy marble/glass graphics.

Why the hate for iTunes? Serves my needs great and thats all I care about. Although I do turn off iTunes store on my Mac because it seriously slows down on my G4.

The new icon looks better and makes more sense. The old one is the notes over a CD. Who buys CDs anymore? It's about as dated as going to the record store.

cds forever. i'll never buy anything from itunes/amazon mp3/etc if there is a cd available.

the old one was dated, the new one is generic, in the end Jobs responds to these things to create press.

After going from itunes with an ipod to zune software with a zune i miss itunes... seriously dont knock it till youre forced to use the fucking zune software. They go so far into form over function they completely forget about function. Like i find myself constantly doing things and wondering "who thought of this!?"

I use the Zune software for music playback and I don't have a Zune.

Why the hate for iTunes? Serves my needs great and thats all I care about. Although I do turn off iTunes store on my Mac because it seriously slows down on my G4.

See:

Doesn't matter how much iTunes sucks or not, any software that behind my back also installs:

Bonjour services
Quicktime
and Apple Software Update

is NOT going on my machine. Why the f*** is a media player ~80MB

Plus the crappy bloated interface.

Doesn't matter how much iTunes sucks or not, any software that behind my back also installs:

Bonjour services
Quicktime

100% agree with you. As much crap as the Apple camp likes to spew about Windows being bloatware, their own (Apple's) software is far from svelte.

I also like the fact that it's 2010, and Apple still can't install software without require a reboot, and even then, the quick-launch icons don't work and need to be redone. Every update. WTF?

Bonjour services
Quicktime

Bonjour is a network protocol used by all the iDevices (especially the AppleTV) to do network streaming/communication.
Quicktime is a codec library that's the actual decoding backend for iTunes.
And finally, automatic updates are actually pretty nice, since the latest firmware always requires the latest release of iTunes. Just turn off the "check for other Apple software too" option.

Bonjour is a network protocol used by all the iDevices (especially the AppleTV) to do network streaming/communication.

And is not strictly necessary for iTunes use, so why is it automatically installed?

Quicktime flat out blows.

So congratulations on filling us in on what the Apple bloatware does...it's STILL bloatware.

And is not strictly necessary for iTunes use, so why is it automatically installed?

Ehhh, yes it is pretty necessary for iTunes use. Would you rather be slapped with "HEY YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD BONJOUR K?" when you try to stream? No ty, just install for me please.

Quicktime flat out blows.

Quicktime is an excellent and very fast MPEG4 decoder, and was one of the only free (and legally licensed) ones out there until Microsoft started including one with Windows 7.

You seem to have a decoder and player confused...or more likely, don't know what either is. ;)

Ehhh, yes it is pretty necessary for iTunes use. Would you rather be slapped with "HEY YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD BONJOUR K?" when you try to stream? No ty, just install for me please.

You're assuming that streaming media through iTunes is something that I want to do.

Quicktime is an excellent and very fast MPEG4 decoder, and was one of the only free (and legally licensed) ones out there until Microsoft started including one with Windows 7.

You seem to have a decoder and player confused...or more likely, don't know what either is. ;)

And yet, as you yourself admit, Windows 7 now provides the codec support, which furthers the whole, it's bloatware and doesn't need to be included bit.

And I must've missed the option with Quicktime to install the Quicktime decoder without installing the shitty ass player in Windows at the same time.

I haven't bought a (brand new) CD in almost a decade, they're passe in this day and age. Most people that buy them if they have an iPod or some portable media player or computer are going to rip them to mp3 or some other lossy format anyway so...

Only issue (if I have one) is the new icon does seem a bit blase I suppose. One joke I keep seeing around is "It's not shiny enough..." or words to that effect.

Someone please release a new graphics card or something. I have to cringe my way through H's news lately. It's 50% Apple flame bait.

Then I suggest you wipe the tears, put down the apple scented tissues and start a letter writing campaign to Apple asking them to quit PROVIDING the flame bait. ;)

If it seems like every other damn day there is something retarded about Apple in the news, blaming the MESSENGER is surely the answer. :rolleyes:

And finally, automatic updates are actually pretty nice, since the latest firmware always requires the latest release of iTunes. Just turn off the "check for other Apple software too" option.

I think it should be like the winamp installer where the default options will automatically install all the things you might need, but then you can have a custom install option and uncheck the things that you don't. I have a very big problem with software that installs things that I don't intend it to, change my browser homepage, install a toolbar (skype!), puts icons where I don't want them to, doesn't allow you to change the install location, etc.

The majority of people aren't music collectors. It makes sense to get rid of CD in the icon.
The issue isn't so much the change in the icon's metaphor as it is that the new icon is poorly executed. I think getting rid of the CD is a legitimate move, but the problem is that the icon is just...shitty. It's likely one of the blandest and most generic-looking application icons I've seen.

Back