Steve Jobs Had Liver Transplant

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Steve Jobs received a liver transplant in Tennessee two months ago, according to this Wired report (the source WSJ article requires a subscription to read). Jobs, who has been on medical leave from Apple since January, unsurprisingly did not comment on the article when asked. He's set to come back to Apple later this month.

The Journal cited no source in particular for its story, and got no direct comment from Apple itself. It quoted a “a person familiar with the thinking at Apple” that Jobs would have a diminished schedule at first when he returns to work and also reported that “At least some Apple directors were aware of the CEO’s surgery” as part of an agreement Jobs made with the board before he went on leave.

I wonder which Mac owner gave up his or her liver. :p

I have to wonder if this procedure cost someone else a chance... it's widely understood that celebs and "famous" or wealthy folk get favors, so I just gotta wonder now if Jobs has a liver that potentially was set up for someone else and because of who he is, perhaps things just "worked out" in his favor.

It's an obvious question so... I'll be the first to put it out there in this thread I suppose. Reasonable doubt, right?

I have to wonder if this procedure cost someone else a chance... it's widely understood that celebs and "famous" or wealthy folk get favors, so I just gotta wonder now if Jobs has a liver that potentially was set up for someone else and because of who he is, perhaps things just "worked out" in his favor.

It's an obvious question so... I'll be the first to put it out there in this thread I suppose. Reasonable doubt, right?

well, in all fairness hes been not looking great for a while, so i doubt this was a "i need a liver" and the next day some mexican boy felt ill and steve jobs had a liver lol

while i wouldent agree with celebrities getting priority, nobody said life was fair right? :(

It's possible I suppose, but who knows how long he was waiting for a transplant. The article says he went to Tennessee to get on the shortest possible waiting list.

I don't care for Apple, but I don't wish ill health on anyone. I hope he recovers and lives a long healthy life.

Why all the mystery and deception anyway? If he took a medical leave of absence so Apple could focus on their products and people wouldn't focus on him why not simply state why he needed a transplant (or even the fact that he needed one, instead of alluding vaguely to "hormonal imbalances" and "simple procedures")... Seriously, could he be any more of a diva? :rolleyes: Shame on the Journal for catering to it too...

Why all the mystery and deception anyway? If he took a medical leave of absence so Apple could focus on their products and people wouldn't focus on him why not simply state why he needed a transplant (or even the fact that he needed one, instead of alluding vaguely to "hormonal imbalances" and "simple procedures")... Seriously, could he be any more of a diva? :rolleyes: Shame on the Journal for catering to it too...

Any kind of change or instability can hurt company stock value.

I thought he was busy selling his soul to the devil. Oh wait . . . I guess someone sold their soul to him. Then He took that poor sap's liver. :p

This is a pretty lame post. Of course well-off people have better medical resources at their disposal, but I doubt that whatever hospital he was in would allow him to bypass the usual queue for transplants. That would be highly unethical on behalf of the doctors.

Having said that, his cancer and any other non-liver related health problems might have been strikes against him getting through the queue.

Any kind of change or instability can hurt company stock value.

You're kidding right? Of course it can, obviously, but what he's doing isn't any better... In fact it's probably worse. Vague statements and rampant speculation over a period of months can be even worse. People can spin all kinds of stories and play with the stock like candy if there's zero official statements about what's going on, hell even the Journal's article has zero corroborating facts.

You'd hope shareholders were better informed of it all than the rest of the public, but somehow I doubt it.

"Welcome to the real world..."

As if doctors don't do unethical things... pishaw. It's a question that deserves an answer, and I'm sure some enterprising sleuth of a journalist will find out sooner or later if something was amiss in the process.

Disclaimer: I have a good friend that was in such a situation years past, and was on a waiting list, and it was discovered after he finally received one in the proverbial nick of time that yes, prior to the final dispensation of the one implanted in him, two other viable candidate livers had been on-track for him, and were somehow misdirected with no decent explanation offered, delaying his treatment into territory that put his life at even further risk.

Nobody ever stepped up to admit wrongdoing, but in the long run one hospital administrator and several ranking members of a board of directors for that hospital tendered resignations within a week of each other, just days after his implantation was a success.

Get the right lawyer working for you and shit happens... ;)

Steve Jobs' new iLiver Pro is going to be all the rage!

LMAO!
7221e5c8ec6b08ef6d3f9ff3ce6eb1d1.gif

This is a pretty lame post. Of course well-off people have better medical resources at their disposal, but I doubt that whatever hospital he was in would allow him to bypass the usual queue for transplants. That would be highly unethical on behalf of the doctors.

Thing is, there's plenty of loopholes in the system. He may not be skipping thru the queue per se, but he's still coming out ahead thanks to the pile of cash in his bank account. Someone with less resources doesn't have the money to go wait in a queue in Tennessee for a transplant (exactly as he did), and the article itself said you don't even have to be a resident to get into treatment at the facilities there.

He doesn't have to deal with a lot of the red tape insurance companies will put up against people with less resources either.

It's like that case on the news a month ago where NIN raised money for a guy that couldn't afford a move in order to receive a transplant at a facility in another state, because no facility within his state offered it and his insurance only covered in-state transplants in that specific case... It's a screwed up system, and money definitely oils things up in this kinda process.

Thing is, there's plenty of loopholes in the system. He may not be skipping thru the queue per se, but he's still coming out ahead thanks to the pile of cash in his bank account. Someone with less resources doesn't have the money to go wait in a queue in Tennessee for a transplant (exactly as he did), and the article itself said you don't even have to be a resident to get into treatment at the facilities there.

He doesn't have to deal with a lot of the red tape insurance companies will put up against people with less resources either.

It's like that case on the news a month ago where NIN raised money for a guy that couldn't afford a move in order to receive a transplant at a facility in another state, because no facility within his state offered it and his insurance only covered in-state transplants in that specific case... It's a screwed up system, and money definitely oils things up in this kinda process.
What is he supposed to do? Not try to get a transplant in the timeliness manner possible?:rolleyes:

I'm not saying he's evil for doing it or anything, nor even the slightest bit immoral... I'm just saying, money does make it substantially easier to get a transplant even if you're not getting skipped ahead in the queue per se because of it, you might as well be the way the system works tho. It's just part of life, I'm sure if we could come up with a better system with the resources available we would, 'till then... Them's the breaks.

I was just pointing out how it works for anyone naive enough to believe that the queues trump everything and everyone is relegated to patiently wait their turn w/everyone else, is all.~ The news section needs edit damnit.

Steve Jobs is a Cyborg.

Jobs is the new iBorg.. He will press the big red button at his desk and all the zealots will turn into one iBorg... :D

His liver transplant is just a cover up to finish up the final iBorg enhancments :D

Ya ya i know it's chessy...

Maybe because it's his personal life. He doesn't belong to anyone, and it's not like he owes anyone an explanation for his medical leave. The guy is a cult icon, and he wanted some privacy. Big whoop.

It's certainly his personal life and he's got some right to privacy, but he's also got a responsibility to the company and he's not exactly inspiring confidence with all the suspense. If he's a cult icon it's partly of his own doing, coming back and expecting the same level of privacy as the average joe is just never gonna work... And I doubt that's even what he was doing. /shrug

It's certainly his personal life and he's got some right to privacy, but he's also got a responsibility to the company and he's not exactly inspiring confidence with all the suspense. If he's a cult icon it's partly of his own doing, coming back and expecting the same level of privacy as the average joe is just never gonna work... And I doubt that's even what he was doing. /shrug

Ditto. Share holders were already pretty pissed over him lying about his cancer last time.

As for getting a liver well if you have enough $$$ you can always buy one on the chinese black market.

Damn,I bet he got his quick,just found out today my daughter-in-law's mother is in need of a new liver,wonder HOW long that's going to take?

I wonder what he did with the old liver. If it didn't involve fava beans and a nice Chianti, I'll be disappointed.

Maybe because it's his personal life. He doesn't belong to anyone, and it's not like he owes anyone an explanation for his medical leave. The guy is a cult icon, and he wanted some privacy. Big whoop.

He's a CEO over a global corporation that has again become profitable due to HIS iron fist way of doing things.

He croaks tonight and Apple's stock dies as soon as the market opens. Shareholders absolutely DESERVED to know that the CEO of the company they invested in was having such major surgery done so that they could determine what they wanted to do with their stock.

How did this guy get that high on a list to receive a new liver? Normally people with a history of cancer aren't on the top of the list or even considered for organ replacement due to the possibility of the cancer relapsing.

I hope the previous owner of his liver was a windows user.

He's a CEO over a global corporation that has again become profitable due to HIS iron fist way of doing things.

He croaks tonight and Apple's stock dies as soon as the market opens. Shareholders absolutely DESERVED to know that the CEO of the company they invested in was having such major surgery done so that they could determine what they wanted to do with their stock.

That's funny, because since his sabbatical we've all discovered that Apple can run itself and the world isn't going to end.

Maybe that was his point?

Mickey Mantle was found to have liver cancer on the table during his liver transplant.

David Crosby is alive and well due to a transplant.

Having some fame won't hurt when you need an organ replaced.

The hospital folks in Tennessee probably got new iPhones.:eek:

That's funny, because since his sabbatical we've all discovered that Apple can run itself and the world isn't going to end.

While I won't disagree, some people will never see it that way. He still had a serious health problem and a major surgery without notifying the shareholders. At this point his health is STILL a huge issue with the company. His health is even more in question now. Shareholders deserve to know this type of information because it can and will affect their share price.

Even during his time off rumors about him caused the stock to flux. If he doesn't come back by the end of June the stock will drop. I bet it even drops this Monday once the market opens up based solely on this news about his transplant.

This is what happens when a CEO like Jobs is the total face of the company. Whether it runs or not without them it doesn't matter. What matters is the value of that stock to the shareholders.

The problem isn't whether or not Apple can actually survive without Jobs, nor does his temporary absence prove that the company can survive without him.

The problem is that Apple lied to shareholders about his health. We don't know how Apple would fare in the long term without Jobs, and the past has shown that the company doesn't do very well without him. Shareholders are right to be concerned.

I think Apple would have been much better off just saying "hey, Jobs is really sick. Here are the facts..." rather than just telling everyone he went to live on a farm upstate for awhile.

Back