Steve Jobs Awarded Posthumous Grammy

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
At the Special Merit Awards portion of the Grammy presentations held on Saturday, Steve Jobs was presented a posthumous award for his contributions to the music industry. The award was accepted in his behalf by Eddie Cue, Senior Vice-President, and longtime friend of Jobs.

Accepting this award means so much to me because music meant so much to him. He told us that music shaped his life...it made him who he was.

Yeah, because iTunes and the iPod were what revolutionized the music industry? Puh-leeze, so sick of reading about this guy.

I'd like to give the music that "made him who he was" a listen, especially the stuff that shaped the parts that aren't all sunshine, fairy dust and unicorns.

Yeah, because iTunes and the iPod were what revolutionized the music industry? Puh-leeze, so sick of reading about this guy.

In fairness the ability rip CD digitally, and the MP3 format has changed the way groups can do things they've also completely changed the way consumers think about albums and recordings. However, in fairness the only thing Jobs had to do with any of this was the iTunes Store which was simply a convenient licensed tool.

In fairness the ability rip CD digitally, and the MP3 format has changed the way groups can do things they've also completely changed the way consumers think about albums and recordings. However, in fairness the only thing Jobs had to do with any of this was the iTunes Store which was simply a convenient licensed tool.

"simply a convenient licensed tool," lol. I remember when people were expecting, knowing, Sony to create a new super walkman or Creative a new PMP and just kill off the iPod. No one in the tech industry gave any mind to iTunes back then, just as no one on this grumpy forum will now. Don't worry, as bad as the iTunes software is, no one has caught up, and I doubt anyone will.

"simply a convenient licensed tool," lol. I remember when people were expecting, knowing, Sony to create a new super walkman or Creative a new PMP and just kill off the iPod. No one in the tech industry gave any mind to iTunes back then, just as no one on this grumpy forum will now. Don't worry, as bad as the iTunes software is, no one has caught up, and I doubt anyone will.

Sony killed their own efforts with their MiniDisc with bricked digital transfer abilities. As with so many of their formats, Sony killed their own effort with hardware inconveniences and gimped abilities.

Sony killed their own efforts with their MiniDisc with bricked digital transfer abilities. As with so many of their formats, Sony killed their own effort with hardware inconveniences and gimped abilities.

:eek: I swear Sony is not run as one company, rather as 200 small ones that just happen to share the same name, lol. Up until very recently, there was almost no association between different Sony branded product lines :(

Steve Jobs was actually very good at what he did.

He didn't innovate or come up with new things, but he did make it easier to use those things. One could argue that he is the poster boy for the way society is headed, which is not having to think about what you're doing because it's being done for you.

Everything Apple does, they keep control of, so that the user doesn't have to think about what's happening or why it's happening. They only have to do what they want and it works. And this is widely accepted because the populace as a whole because they want what's easiest for them, no matter the cost, because the cost isn't tangible. It's like the noose tightening around your neck without realizing it until you're already hung.

:eek: I swear Sony is not run as one company, rather as 200 small ones that just happen to share the same name, lol. Up until very recently, there was almost no association between different Sony branded product lines :(

I don't think so. Every Sony format is the same old story. Come up with a new format, restrict it, license it, lock it down into oblivion, overprice it more than a bit....and then act surprised when you MiniDisc, MemoryStick, etc fails to go anywhere compared to alternatives.

I'm astounded their BluRay has yet to die. Wish it would. Hate formats that go out of the way to restrict Fair Use.

I don't think so. Every Sony format is the same old story. Come up with a new format, restrict it, license it, lock it down into oblivion, overprice it more than a bit....and then act surprised when you MiniDisc, MemoryStick, etc fails to go anywhere compared to alternatives.

I'm astounded their BluRay has yet to die. Wish it would. Hate formats that go out of the way to restrict Fair Use.

well, BluRay does have it's purpose, mostly since the internet still sucks in most parts of the developed world, and 4k res content is not out yet... :D

This. Totally, totally, had enough of it. The only time we hear about Apple lately is because:

1. They're suing someone to death over nothing
2. They're bringing out their latest "innovation"
3. The people who make their products are choosing suicide over working for them
4. Steve Jobs was the most amazing person ever in history, now that he's dead

Funny how once someone dies that happens, huh?

Guess what? People were using MP3s LONG before iTunes and the iPod came out. As someone said above, his only contribution has been to stop people thinking for themselves. The slogan "it solves problems I never knew I had" sums it up perfectly. They probably weren't really problems if you weren't aware of them, were they? But you Apple fanboys go ahead and keep on drinking up the shit Apple shovels you.

What I'm more interested in is where Apple will be in 5 or 10 years time without Jobs at the helm. Hopefully one of two things has happened... it's become WAYYY more open, or it's died. My bet is on option 2.

Hello? THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

At the Special Merit Awards portion of the Grammy presentations held on Saturday, Steve Jobs was presented a posthumous award for his contributions to the music industry.

Give me a break. The guy was a master marketer. THAT ALL.

*This just in, we have a late entry for Whitney Houston

They should.

Her...I hate to say this...sadly unsurprising death (how/why) are going to hang all over that thing tonight with a heavy pall.

IMO he at least deserves the 'taking the initiative to market a product to music pirates everywhere with the means to take their massive "stolen according to the RIAA" music collections with them on the go, which in turn massively devalued the music industries ability to make money using a broken business model, and then turning around and 'buying the shop' (itunes) so to speak'. :p

I mean I had a 160gb ipod back in 2005 and I sure as hell loaded that up with all that music I bought :rolleyes:

Problem with apple is the raw cost of being in their ecosystem IMO, I'd rather nerd out occasionally and have things not work and then have to fix whatever the stupid problem is, and get more performance per dollar than be a noob and say apple, do this shit for me, I don't know how to set up backups for all my shit :S.

When is the Grammy association giving an award to Sim Wong Hoo of Creative Labs for his contribution? I mean the Soundblaster and the Nomad were far more revolutionary to music and entertainment that the ipod.

Agreed.
I hate all the proprietary & locked down stuff and avoid it wherever possible.
The Mini Disc and Memory Stick are prime examples. I especially dislike the Memory Sticks and all the different, incompatible versions they brought out.
However, I think Sony might finally be learning. I actually bought a Sony camera last year because it supported SDHC cards.

c1EBa.jpg

Psh, Grace Hopper is more important than either of those two combined and not a single peep about her.

The one thing that Jobs did was that he broke the industry to offer music downloads and make it available to the masses. Without that then we'd still be forced into buying CDs.

When is the Grammy association giving an award to Sim Wong Hoo of Creative Labs for his contribution? I mean the Soundblaster and the Nomad were far more revolutionary to music and entertainment that the ipod.

I agree! I still walk around with my Soundblaster in my pocket.

I love seeing all the people on campus walking around showing off their SB.

Some of guys are so full of shit it's not even funny. Whether it was through his sensationalism skills, an idea he came up with on his own, or him sticking to his guns with a "stolen" idea - it doesn't matter - he changed many markets, plain and simple. To deny that is...well, blatant denial. And just stupid.

Exactly. He convinced the entire world we had a problem that never existed, and my hats off to him for that.

So being forced to pay full price for a CD $20+ to be able to listen to one or two tracks was never a problem?

Oh and Indie artists finding a way to distribute their music to the masses was never a problem either?

Seriously why the fuck does he get this. He did not do anything that was already tried before him...

Psh, Grace Hopper is more important than either of those two combined and not a single peep about her.
QUOTE]

Hmm, never knew about Grace Hopper. Just read her entries on wikipedia. Quite interesting indeed. First compiler ever... developer of universal programming languages, etc. Pretty cool life story too. Like turning down a full professorship at a university to continue working as a research fellowship for the Navy. That's impressive in itself because she basically turned down the gravy-train most professors dream of for continuing hard research-work that paid only a navy salary(not that much)

Steve jobs was the antt christ and evil man that didn't do jack for anything since 1982 and all he did was make music sound like compressed mp3 crap and trick fucking apple hipsters that are dumb enough to buy his crap into buying horrible sounding .mp3 and mp4 formats music online.

you know rather than using the real fucking cd and ripping them your self on a mp3 player that did not suck as much as the ipod did.

Back