Steve Ballmer to Retire as Microsoft CEO

I fully expect the CEO to be internal within Microsoft.

Whatever they do, don't hire the dude that JC Penney did
he fucked up their ship so fast in 1 year.

I think the new CEO should come in, lay a straight, solid direction for
the new workspace, and then go out and buy a bunch of companies with
the massive piile of cash they have that can help them do that change
quick.

RETIREMENT RETIREMENT RETIREMENT RETIREMENT.

RETIREMENT RETIREMENT RETIREMENT RETIREMENT.

I'd also like to see them be a little smarter about their pricing too; Datacenter needs to go back down in price. And if they are serious about wanting a slice of the mobile market, they need to start giving away their OS, or very nearly. They also need to bend over backwards to lure developers to their app store.

That'd be a way to make Windows RT a major player - free. Windows 8 Pro? No way. But, with Windows RT, you'd gain a lot of market share. Windows tablets with Office for $300 or less? Sure, I'll take one. With the Surface RT down to $350, I'm close to buying one. If I can get a refurb w/ keyboard for $300, I'm in.

Maybe the replacement for Ballmer will actually have a direction he (or she) wants to take the company and he (or she) will be more successful. It seems like Ballmer really wanted to do a lot, but didn't have that solid direction to head in. Just keep moving forward without having a destination...

A free version of Windows RT would be interesting, yeah. It's certainly something I'd be interested in putting on little ARM-based single-board computers and shit like that. The Windows Store is actually large enough for that to be a compelling thing.

Ho, ho, ho!

Bill_Gates_and_Steve_Ballmer_dance.GIF

Merry Christmas!

I can hear the Haddaway now.

I'm not getting too excited. The new CEO will probably be the ribbon lady or somebody with a similar history of crapping things up.

Getting rid of Sinofsky, Mattrick and Ballmer were all good moves, but to fix Microsoft they really need a whole new executive team, preferably one that's interested in delivering what customers want rather than desperately trying to be Apple and Google.

Any chance they hire Marissa Mayer away from Yahoo?

Better Yet, they can hire Carly Fiorina.

She will decide that Microsoft should get out of the software business and get into the "small pillow" market because that makes more sense to her.

Kind of how she tried to turn around HP.

If you have been watching Microsoft for the last few years, then I don't find him leaving a surprise. Microsoft has clearly lost it's way under his leadership and the Surface RT debacle final opened enough eyes to get him out of there. He was not a worthy successor to Bill Gates.

They should hire Angelina Jolie as the new CEO.

That'll move a lot of SQL Server licenses, guaranteed.

Maybe the replacement for Ballmer will actually have a direction he (or she) wants to take the company and he (or she) will be more successful. It seems like Ballmer really wanted to do a lot, but didn't have that solid direction to head in. Just keep moving forward without having a destination...

I think that for the first time in a while Microsoft does have a pretty clear direction, but execution of the details have tripped them up a lot. Ballmer is definitely a number cruncher and he actually did pull Microsoft through the anti-trust stuff very well. Now that that's over he did finally focus on technical strategy but it was very late to come in the mobile space.

The technical platform of Windows 8/RT and the Modern UI are very solid foundations Even the most vocal Windows 8 opponents say all that is needed is a Metro off switch and Windows 8 would be flying off the shelves. I don't believe that simply because the new PC market is shrinking. The ability to make Windows work on different devices and in different ways is absolutely critical to the future of Windows. But perhaps a new CEO can clean up the details. It's going to be interesting and hopefully they will be able to get a great candidate and go from here.

About. F*cking. Time. He obviously was coherent enough to understand the company implosion that was slowly taking place.

God help them if the ribbon lady steps into the role. Actually, that would be the comedy gift that keeps on giving.

Suck it, HLS! :)

Let's bring Paul Allen out of retirement!

Srsly hope you were kidding....having worked for that man for a decade and a half, I can guarantee you you'd be wanting Ballmer back after 6 months...

I have to admit, I was shocked to hear this. Is there any heir apparent? What kind of person would it take to bring Microsoft full-force into the consumer market?

Odd statement considering all the things people are complaining about in the Win8 interface MS kinda aped from Fischer-Price.

Fixed that for ya. I'm not sure how Metro is ANYTHING like iOS or OSX. I'm not a fan of Apple's clenched-fist business practices and products but I've never seen big, ugly, monochrome tiles on any of their operating systems.

I'm going to miss Ballmer he's like my nuty looney toon drunk uncle Ben who's always drunk at family gatherings.
Ballmer I solute you!
lulzsecuritylogo.jpg

They should be looking to highly experienced sea captians, try to get the ship afloat again. :p

Great damn news for a Friday morning!

Fixed that for ya. I'm not sure how Metro is ANYTHING like iOS or OSX. I'm not a fan of Apple's clenched-fist business practices and products but I've never seen big, ugly, monochrome tiles on any of their operating systems.

We can debate the aesthetics but functionally on a tablet Windows 8/RT, iOS and Android share a lot. The one thing that these tiles do very well is convey information.

He will stay at the helm of the company until a special committee appoints a new CEO

Basically shut the candidates in a dome, all may enter, one can leave.

Maybe Gates should temporarily take over and set things straight again :p

Basically shut the candidates in a dome, all may enter, one can leave.

This is certainly to be a highly coveted job. Microsoft, a once great tech giant on the ropes, who can save them? At least that's what the PR will look like, meanwhile the company's financial position is fortress. So it's a job that could reap enormous personal accolades to the person who can turn Microsoft around but at the same time have a very strong company already to turn around. A high reward/risk ratio.

We can debate the aesthetics but functionally on a tablet Windows 8/RT, iOS and Android share a lot. The one thing that these tiles do very well is convey information.

To people that would give a shit, which apparently most users don't since Windows TILE os adoption on every platform is pretty pathetic.

That'd be a way to make Windows RT a major player - free. Windows 8 Pro? No way. But, with Windows RT, you'd gain a lot of market share. Windows tablets with Office for $300 or less? Sure, I'll take one. With the Surface RT down to $350, I'm close to buying one. If I can get a refurb w/ keyboard for $300, I'm in.

A free version of Windows RT would be interesting, yeah. It's certainly something I'd be interested in putting on little ARM-based single-board computers and shit like that. The Windows Store is actually large enough for that to be a compelling thing.

A free, closed-source version of Windows 8 RT would make a lot of sense, honestly. It'd put it straight up against Android and possibly Chrome OS.

It may not run x86 desktop programs like Surface Pro but having Office RT on a tablet that could cost $299 or $399 retail would be very tempting to a lot of consumers. And, if Microsoft wants, can add on an optional Skydrive and Office 360 bundle subscriptions to recoup costs.

MS stock may have gone up, but I hear that Arrid XX Dry stock is plummeting.

To people that would give a shit, which apparently most users don't since Windows TILE os adoption on every platform is pretty pathetic.

Perhaps, but I don't think that too many people really care about a static list of icons in the Start Menu, it's simply more familiar.

Bringing back the start menu would really bother you wouldn't it? I swear the fan boy crowd is just as bad....

Wow, that took longer than I thought. :D Good job. :p We will have to see what is going to happen. As I said in the past, if you are going to call me a fan boy, get it right and realize I am a fan boy of all computer technology and Operating Systems. :rolleyes:

I think this is the best MS related news I can recall in quite some time. Of course it all depends on who takes his place as well. Good news could become "oh crap" pretty fast.

I hope they promote the chick responsible for metro. I am not done enjoying watching the Titanic sink just yet.

Wow, that took longer than I thought. :D Good job. :p We will have to see what is going to happen. As I said in the past, if you are going to call me a fan boy, get it right and realize I am a fan boy of all computer technology and Operating Systems. :rolleyes:

I think the real point is you and heatlesssun calling us haters is like the pot calling the kettle black. :rolleyes:

Microsoft has done almost a complete 180 on the Xbone while also making major concessions with Win 8, and now all of the sudden Ballmer is retiring. How come everyone "gets it" including MS except the blinded fan boys? And I wouldn't know what fan you are other that MS the way you thread crap any negative comment about MS. Those seem to take up the majority of your comments so that's how I call it?

"ROUND #20245... FIGHT!"

This is what I see right now and what will happen with this thread in the next few pages...

:eek:

I think the real point is you and heatlesssun calling us haters is like the pot calling the kettle black. :rolleyes:

There are people that make legitimate points against Windows 8, I have plenty of times but that gets ignored by some around here.

Microsoft has done almost a complete 180 on the Xbone while also making major concessions with Win 8, and now all of the sudden Ballmer is retiring. How come everyone "gets it" including MS except the blinded fan boys? And I wouldn't know what fan you are other that MS the way you thread crap any negative comment about MS. Those seem to take up the majority of your comments so that's how I call it?

Making major concessions with Windows 8? Not with 8.1. Most of the changes in 8.1 were called for by people like myself that like Windows 8 such as better Start Screen management, better in the box training and better multitasking and multiple monitor support for the Modern UI. The Start Button, booting to the desktop, quicker access to the Shutdown controls, etc. were not high on my list of priorities but they don't really change the essence of Windows 8 and certainly more needs to be done beyond 8.1,

Back