• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Stereo Speakers and Receiver

Riddleofsteel

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 4, 2007
Messages
1,983
I'm looking for stereo speakers and a receiver with good stereo functionality that also has optical. I'd like to spend less than $500 US for both, but I'd consider something close if it's over that amount. I have a Claro Halo sound card right now with Denon D2000 headphones.

I'm tentatively looking at the M-Audio AV40 or the Swan D1080MkII 08 for speakers and either the Yamaha RX-V365 or the Marantz at Accessories4less for receivers, but I don't know if the Marantz has optical. Thanks for any help with this.
 
I would look at the Tweak City Audio WAF-1 if you love music and critical listening. I can't name a better speaker that would fit into your price range. It's sort of a spiritual successor to the AV123 X-LS, which was once the best speakers you could get for $200. Linearity is unparalleled and this pair consistently beats speakers in the $1k range at (informal) speaker shootouts.

http://tweakcityaudio.com/index.php...&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

That said they are probably some of the worst speakers I've ever seen, but all the effort and $ went into audio parts components and not decor design.
 
Last edited:
Hey Riddleofsteel,

Where did you find Swan D1080MkII 08? I too am interested in buying these, but they are nowhere to be found.
 
i have the yamaha rx-v365. using spdif IN from a htomega striker card. works great! the receiver is excellent given the price.
 
Last edited:
Oh. I was thinking the receiver had a better DAC possibly. I wanted to put all the cables into one easy to access device instead of plugging them all into my sound card. Is there any other way? Thanks.

I'm liking the looks of the Energy speakers and the WAF-1. Both look like good choices.

Oh, about headphones. If they're both un-modified, would a set of Denon D2000 or Beyer Dt770 80 ohm be better for gaming and music? Thanks again.
 
Riddleofsteel, You do know that the AV-40 & the Swans are active and don't need any external amplification,

No Reciever Needed..



Here's a link to those speakers,

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php/p/swan-d1080mkii-08/products_id/144

Awesome, thanks. I looked at their site many times in the last few days, but never found the '08 version. I guess they just added it last night.

I wonder how these compare to the original D1080MKII and if they are worth the price of $159.
 
Any thoughts on whether the D2000 or the DT 770 80ohms are the way to go for stock headphones?
 
They are both comparable for gaming imo. I think some might prefer the DT770 for comfort, though.
 
From what I can recall on Head-Fi, the d2000 are more neutral and the dt770 are a little more bassy. I tend to take that kind of information as the d2000s are more suited for music.
 
Back
Top