Steelseries looking for keyboard input on new design. What does [H] think?

Ripster55

Limp Gawd
bgzMn.jpg

• I would change the layout to be a more standard one (with a single-row RETURN key);
  • Very expensive;
  • I cannot understand how that travel feature is useful compared to just unplugging the keyboard;
  • Nice touch on the media keys, but is it easy to accidentally press them?

Well, I think that's it.

Sounds like OCN doesn't like it Steelseries.

That BigAss Enter key always drove me nuts on your keyboard designs.

You guys are DANES, not TAIWANESE!

should make the enter key one row with a normal sized backspace key. backlighting should be a full range of color

Make the enter key standard as well as the Function keys. (groups of 4 not 3)
Ditch the detachable cable, its dumb.

Make the price less than $100

Is it fully backlit, or are only the "gaming" keys backlit?

With companies like Corsair and Logitech getting into the mechanical keyboard market, I think this is priced way too high (regardless of what you think of either of those companies). Even a Ducky or a non backlit Filco is cheaper. Rosewill and CM have been pushing prices down too... I feel like any keyboard priced higher than $150 at this point should be damn near perfect. Increased volume should make these things cheaper, not the other way around.

The location of those media keys seems a little too close to shift/control too, should be fine if they're not raised and they're on a different level tho. I imagine Enter would be changed for the US no? A lot of keyboards are sold like that internationally and with a different layout stateside.

The keyboard seems designed for Europe The smaller return/enter key is popular in the US.

Trying to decide what I think of the media keys, I do not think they will be miss hit by most consumers. The question I keep asking myself is would they be better on the right side. From a typical gaming point of view(for right handed users) it might be easier to use ones right thumb on that side to press said keys while gaming. Of course it depends on the game and play-style of said player at which hand they would prefer to use. Which then leads me to consider if they would be better off as general macro keys on both sides.

I am conflicted about the price point. It depends on the wrist rest quality and how well the multi-color leds work. Depending on the height and angle of the keyboard you might be better off unbundling the wrist rest and lowering the price point. My guess is if you are including a wrist rest you feel the keyboard needs one... so including it might help reviews and reduce fatigue.

Not sure if the detachable plug design is worthwhile as most keyboards in this category have usb based plugs. There might be an unexpected reason for this newer design I am missing. Reduced fatigue on the connector maybe? or is it simply an attempt to sell extra cables? So is this worthwhile or something you can drop to reduce said price point.

multi-color backlight is pretty cool

Everything else I don't like. Large enter key, audio ports, USB hub, media control. I don't want any of that of my keyboard. Prefer a simple classic layout without clutter. Quick release? I would never use it. I don't travel with my keyboards

The over-sized return key is a deal breaker for me.

Beyond that, this would be a gaming only keyboard for me with it being cherry red based and with that garish backlighting (option for changing colors or getting a single color across the whole board?). As such, the price seems a bit steep but I can't necessarily knock it, especially if it's good build quality and folks get good use out it. Myself, I'd prefer to see it with cherry browns (maybe a custom option?) or at a lower price point. Otherwise, I couldn't justify purchasing it.

Trying to decide what I think of the media keys, I do not think they will be miss hit by most consumers. The question I keep asking myself is would they be better on the right side. From a typical gaming point of view(for right handed users) it might be easier to use ones right thumb on that side to press said keys while gaming. Of course it depends on the game and play-style of said player at which hand they would prefer to use. Which then leads me to consider if they would be better off as general macro keys on both sides.

I like them on the right side for a simple reason, it allows me to keep moving in most games with my left hand while my right hand adjusts volume. Not a deal breaker either way, looks like they could be hit with the pinky on this board.

-Get rid of the Detachable cable. It serves zero purpose and can be lost when you are packing things for travel, defeating the purpose of it. Its also another spare part the company has to keep in hand driving up costs.
-Standard USA keyboard layout
-Move or remove the media keys. I can't tell you how many times I have hit the programmable G-Keys sitting next to my control, shift, and tab keys on my Logitech G15 keyboard. They are so annoying I actually popped the caps off so I don't accidentally bump them anymore.
-$209.99 is ridiculous. You are absolutely batshit insane if you think you will sell volume at that price. That's a fucking video card upgrade for most people, and most people would rather spend that money on the video card to improve their framerates than on a keyboard that has little tangible upgrade benefits to anyone except the most serious gamers. Get it under $150 and I might consider it. $130 would be the sweet spot considering the backlighting, USB hub, and audio ports.

There's a ton of plain mechanical boards for people that want one without any extra media keys, I don't understand why they harp on any board that has them... It wasn't until last year that the people who do want those things started to get some models that cater to them. If done well there's no reason media or macro keys should ever see accidental press... The lowered plane macro keys on the K90 are a perfect example.

Not defending this board btw, the price is still too high and some of the design choices are questionable, just saying...

Needs:
single row return key
get rid of the audio and USB ports
get rid of the mouse cable anchor and multi-color backlighting
get rid of the detachable cable
drop the price a little
keep the detachable palm rest

Why cant a "keyboard" just be a keyboard anymore?

I'd be down with it if it wasn't ridiculously priced, had a single row enter, with a full backspace and backslash. I dig the detachable cable though - hate bending cords at the root.

these "features" are mostly useless.

Trim it down, give it a good ANSI layout (seriously screw L shaped enter keys), MXred keys, maybe some lights (lets be honest, they're aiming for a certain group here, so lights are fine), palm rest is a plus, and then you're done.

Detachable cable = I LOST MY CABLE
built in USB AND? headphone hub = CTHULHU WANTS TO INTERFACE WITH MY PC.

Also, who brings a heavy ass full size keyboard like that to a lan party where the hubs and detachable cable would actually be useful? Make a fullsize barebones that you leave at home, and then make a mini 40% or 60% or TKL with the hubs and detachable shit so you can have a more lightweight portable thing THATS ACTUALLY PORTABLE.

I know, lots of caps, lots of yelling. I get emotional about this stuff.

$209...include a high DPI gaming mouse with it and it's even a MAYBE at best...jeebus, that's highly priced

Those grouped by three function keys would drive me insane.

Why the need for a fancy removable cable? What is wrong with the standard USB removable cables that tons of other mechanical boards have? No need at all for some fancy screw in cable. Doubt you will be playing anywhere it might vibrate out...

Holy crap, and I thought I paid a lot for my Das Model S Pro, with the Cherry Blues no less. Which, by the way, has none of the fancy stuff on it, and yet still I would prefer it 100 times over to what I'm seeing here, for gaming or otherwise. No one needs a detachable cable like that, no one's going to use one of those aboard a military aircraft.

Also, huge return key etc etc

Absolutely must have a single row return key imo.

This. And move that forward slash key down to the next row and make the backspace key bigger.

$210?! are you bloody insane?

*edit* heh. I didn't even see the other poster using the "bloody insane" term.

I'm not your target market for this though because I refuse to spend over $40 on a keyboard.
I scored three Logitech Waves for $30 each, so I'm good to go for years.

Last edited:
200 euro for that? o.0 that's way overpriced. You can get cherry MX Red keyboards like K90 or Osmium for half that price. Granted you don't get the WSAD in different colors on those, but are different colors on keyboard worth 100 euro extra? I doubt it

Back