• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Steam Updated Deleted Games!

Well, I have almost 300 games on Steam but I don't go around singing it praises or saying how much I love it or how cool it is. It's just a store/digital content distribution to me. Nothing else. That makes me a very, very small minority.

So, considering how many games I have there, it's funny seeing people call me a Steam hater or Origin defender or whatever since I don't praise it 24/7. I guess the Church of Steam™ thinks I'm a heretic even though I have more invested there than your average "Hammer Legion Member" :p

But then again I have 30-ish games on Origin so I guess most people must think I'm some kind of Origin missionary, doing work for the anti-GabeN :D
 
I bring it up because everyone always pulls this shit in Origin threads. I just want to see the reaction here, and it isn't different from what I thought. All hail Steam it is.
Then he was mistaken. You are creating controversy rather than looking for it.
 
As a Captain, I request that you address me as "sir" or as "The Amazing Rando".
 
Sounds like something on your end. Steam has had about an equal amount of issues for me since I started using Origin when I downloaded the BF3 alpha. I have more game time in Origin the past two years than Steam, though only with a few titles.

Origin never crashed for me. Updates are extremely rare compared to Steam. Probably once a quarter. It does not crash my games that crash on their own (BF4 and ME3). I moved my BF4 installation to a new drive just fine; though the first DLC had issues. I had to delete that and reinstall the single DLC. Though I would think that is more of a BF4 issue and not an Origin one. For the Steam titles I moved, I still had to redownload a small amount of things, re-verify, ect. Both programs can use a more automated process in this instance.

Origin is less feature rich, but is rather stable. And I actually like the more simplified approach in many cases. And the download speed is considerably better than what Steam offers.

Overall, if given the choice between Steam and Origin I would go with Steam. I like it better. But Origin is very stable for me and just about everyone I know who uses it.
It sounds like something on my end? Ive been through 2 computers now since i started using origin. LOL! Im glad Origin works great for you but that doesnt mean it does for everyone.
The crashes, never experienced them but I don't doubt you so I'm not sure what caused them. As for moving games, Origin had the ability to easily move games way before Steam did. AFAIK Steam added it after the fact that Origin had it. It took me 5 minutes of Google to figure it out 2 years ago(I used a symbolic link then, but there are easier methods now)
Ok. I have my origin installation on my F drive, Also all of my origin games are installed there. When i go to move the entire contents of drive F to drive G why is it that when i click check for updates on each game i queues the game up like it wasnt ever installed? It starts over at 0 and redownloads the whole game again for every game. For steam all i need to do is a validity check on all of the games and its good to go.
That's debatable. It lacks some features but that doesn't mean it's crap. Steam was a steaming pile of shit when it came out and everyone hated it. I should now, I was there. Now everyone loves and praises it.



Origin doesn't "crash a lot". Origin never crashed for me and I've been using it since it was called EADM and was just a download manager. If it's crashing a lot then it's a problem on your end. Probably some piece of software conflicting with it, like this guy.



Are you talking about having games on different HDD/partitions or just moving your games from one place to another? If the former, it's not possible right now. If it's the latter, then you probably didn't update the game installation location in the applications settings. I've done it and it works fine.


EDIT: Dang darnit. It would seem I've been ninja'd (not really, I got distracted :()

Yes it is debatable, Its my opinion. Im glad you dont have the same problems i do.


The biggest problem people have with origin is the reason it was made. The company developing/supporting/using origin is the same one that made BF4. Thats 2 pretty serious strikes IMO. But hey if you love it then great! I personally dont and likely never will.
 
Yeah, it's really nasty.

I keep Steam and its library on a secondary drive, so when I reinstall Windows, all I need to do is run Steam as administrator and I'm ready to rock. With Origin, it's a tremendously tedious process.
 
Well my main gaming PC is down so hopefully they sort that issue out before I get it back online. :eek:
 
7 steps. Damn, are you guys stupid? Sorry, but that is pretty straight forward. I will agree though, Steam has made it much better now. But before that, Steam was an even bigger bitch to move games.
 
But then again I have 30-ish games on Origin so I guess most people must think I'm some kind of Origin missionary, doing work for the anti-GabeN :D

Really? 30 games. I had a bunch of $10 discount codes for Origin a couple weeks ago and for the life of me could not find a game I wanted to buy. I tried. Its pretty much just BF3, BF4 and Crysis3 sitting in my library. There was a time I grumbled about BF3 only being available on Origin and I even went to the lengths of running a modified DLL that bypassed Origin when joining BF3 MP games, but now I just don't care - its fine. It is what it is, a glorified download manager.

I think people speaking about "Origin hate" these days are either exaggerating or still have their heads stuck back in the time when it was newer and the backlash was a little more pronounced. I think most people have settled down about it at this stage of the thing. On the other hand there isn't a whole lot of excitement about it -- not like anyone waits for the big "Origin sale" like they do Steam. Who knows, maybe in time, though with EA behind it I don't have much confidence it will ever catch up in terms of built up goodwill and credibility.
 
I had the game "Beat buddy" (which I didn't remember owning) redownload in full yesterday, other than that nothing suspicious. I only have 159 titles installed though so YMMV.

And no, Origin is still a steam pile of crap. I had to disable their extra security layer, which unlike SteamGuard, was completely broken and requested I enter a code every other time I tried to log in. Of course that all went to hell when their emails started showing up hours late.
 
I had the game "Beat buddy" (which I didn't remember owning) redownload in full yesterday, other than that nothing suspicious. I only have 159 titles installed though so YMMV.

And no, Origin is still a steam pile of crap. I had to disable their extra security layer, which unlike SteamGuard, was completely broken and requested I enter a code every other time I tried to log in. Of course that all went to hell when their emails started showing up hours late.

And Steamguard sends me a code every time I sign in on Firefox, even though I have signed in multiple times from this PC. But I don't hear anyone complaining about that.
 
And Steamguard sends me a code every time I sign in on Firefox, even though I have signed in multiple times from this PC. But I don't hear anyone complaining about that.

Does this stop you from playing your games when you want to? Doesn't sound like it would. So yeaah, not really on the same level.

Said Origin problem also affected logging in to their support forum to complain about the problem, in addition to the main issue of making it impossible to log in to play.
 
I recognize both flaws and benefits of Steam. I just choose not to gloss over one or the other.

Although it is also one of their strengths, one of the critical problems with PCs is that they have so much flexibility that one person might have problems that no one else has ... I think this is part of why some folks are more dismissive (or cranky) about problems than others

I would like to see many improvements in Steam but they may not be what the masses want ... I would like to see Steam become more like Kickstarter for Project Greenlight ... I would like to see Steam expand their cross market game offerings (soundtracks, add ons, more robust documentation or behind the scenes, etc) ... I would like to see Steam offer more extras to games (like GOG) ... I would like to see more focus on the single player gamer experience and not so much on Multi player (something a store like Origin is far less likely to do as their flagship products tend to be multi player) ... but most of these things are out of the mainstream and I won't beat up Valve for not offering them

If you are a serious gamer (dare I say "REAL" gamer :p ) then you support more than one store anyway ... although Steam is my primary I have titles through about 6-7 stores ... all have positives and negatives and all can be improved ... Steam does have the benefit of being the eldest of the existing stores so they do tend to be a little more stable for most folks ... although that also meant until recently they were slower to change ... they are now trying to update and improve their services (as are their competitors) ... we are definitely in the Golden Age of digital distribution right now :D
 
(As a side note to the new direction this thread has taken: I am not missing any games. Still showing 83 games, 15 installed. Continue your debate. I was never here....)
 
I seem to be one of the few people that want these programs to act as a content (game) delivery system, something which seems to be lacking in terms of feature set and support. Get the game to me and get me playing the game basically which is why I play games (the games themselves).

Take Steam for example, I tried the bandwidth limiter and it didn't seem to work. I would also like more schedule control over downloading. The autopause function at the moment assumes you primarily play MP games and so autopauses downloads at launch whereas I mostly play SP games, some control over this would be nice.

The main Steam addition I have been excited about is the new content system which basically is related to content delivery. This made things like patching more efficient and allowed multiple Steam folders and easier mobility for game folders.

The only non content delivery feature I'm interested in is the in home streaming service that is being implement, although that is still somewhat related to content delivery. Although really this is still somewhat related to game content delivery.

The other extraneous things don't really interest me. Actually some things like the social features actually are problematic due to creating further fragmentation and as far as I now I can't consolidate it via third party program.
 
How did this thread got turned into Steam vs Origin :eek:

Anyway mine seems to only affect Valve games. Had to redownload most of them. Not all of them were completely removed, some only had to download part of it (not the entire size). Strange problem.
 
Anyway mine seems to only affect Valve games. Had to redownload most of them. Not all of them were completely removed, some only had to download part of it (not the entire size). Strange problem.

Same here. Although a few of them were not Valve's. 2GB "updates" for most of them.
 
The issue I've always had with Steam is the lack of customer service/communication and why I have to go on a fucking treasure hunt to find out WTF is going on instead of them sending a fucking pop-up box (similar to the one they use for daily deals when you first log on) notifying you if you own the game(s) that is affected. Also having to to on an Easter Egg hunt to find patch notes when a game requires a download is a pain in the ass too.

  • Men Of War: Condemned Heroes
  • Cities in Motion
  • Sonic Generations
  • Men of War: Assault Squad
  • Sniper Elite V2
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent
  • The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
  • Defense Grid: The Awakening
  • Shank
  • Psychonauts
  • Portal 2
  • Half Life 2: Lost Cost
  • Counter-Strike:S Source
 
The issue I've always had with Steam is the lack of customer service/communication and why I have to go on a fucking treasure hunt to find out WTF is going on instead of them sending a fucking pop-up box (similar to the one they use for daily deals when you first log on) notifying you if you own the game(s) that is affected. Also having to to on an Easter Egg hunt to find patch notes when a game requires a download is a pain in the ass too.

  • Men Of War: Condemned Heroes
  • Cities in Motion
  • Sonic Generations
  • Men of War: Assault Squad
  • Sniper Elite V2
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent
  • The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
  • Defense Grid: The Awakening
  • Shank
  • Psychonauts
  • Portal 2
  • Half Life 2: Lost Cost
  • Counter-Strike:S Source

Good points. I'm tired of buying games that simply won't start or crash. They offer these bundles and about half of them won't run.
 
Back
Top