Steam sales have started

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only thing that appeals to me is the Crysis Pack. I beat the first one but it wasn't my copy so I couldn't play online. I didn't get to try out Warhead but I heard it was good (better than the first?).

Same here. I already got Dirt 2 and Mount and Blade none of the others really look like much fun. Plus I've already spent like 100$ on games, I'm only buying titles now that I really want since I don't want to spend more then 50$ more. 5 More days left so 10$ per day is my soft cap, I'll spend more though if I see titles I really want. :p

I agree, and I'm glad Bethesda also agrees. I play games because I don't like movies..

I'm going to have a try Dragon Age cause of this. I absolutely loved Baulder's Gate II and I liked Neverwinter Nights so Dragon Age just seems like a natural game to play. Will see later if it's fun or not I ain't so sure.

Does anybody know if there is an active community at all for crysis warhead? Also is the game any fun? I really liked the first crysis single player, but didnt really touch the multiplayer portion.

Does anybody know if there is an active community at all for crysis warhead? Also is the game any fun? I really liked the first crysis single player, but didnt really touch the multiplayer portion.

No real community, The mods don't really make the game any better. It was ok I beat it a few months ago. Like it about as much as the first. 7/10

I don't care if I'm comparing apples to oranges or whatever, I'm just trying to have fun... Oblivion is definitely the pinnacle of an RPG... from what I could tell of what DA was going to be, Oblivion is far more open ended and you actually feel connected to your player because you don't control multiple (which is stupid IMO). I mean you can even purchase a house and store all your goods. Not only that it was extremely mod-able. I think Oblivion might of had like 2 cut scenes.

And I cannot knock you because we're talking about a matter of opinions here. I was just trying to point out that you clearly thought Dragon Age was something it wasn't. Its a micro.. tactile group management RPG where you manage a squad of protagonists including yourself. Oblivion is so very different, the only thing these two games share is theme and them being western RPG's.

1 is a sandbox RPG, the other is still open ended (non linear) but more tactile in nature. Strategy RPG vs Free roaming.. both fantastical in their own regard. Cutscenes do little to pull the player from immersion, in fact by design they are there to do the opposite. Oblivion had cutscenses throughout, they were simply done in first person form as you share diaglogue with NPCs. In Dragon Age its done in third person with a much more detailed and rich reactionary conversation system.

Both great games in their own right.

Again? It hasn't been on sale at all on Steam as far as I know.

He means the vietnam expansion, not the base game. It's clear that the base game was on sale for so little because they want people to buy vietnam which is $15.

@YamahaAlex: To be fair, while the start of DA:O was littered with cutscenes, it gets better later. Also, aren't pretty much all the cutscenes just 'cinematic' versions of otherwise normal dialogue? Been a while since I played it.

No real community, The mods don't really make the game any better. It was ok I beat it a few months ago. Like it about as much as the first. 7/10
I was more curious if people actually played the online component to warhead (crysis wars) thanks for your opinion though.

Can someone chime in on Mount & Blade? I've heard it said that it's better just to go with Warband and ignore the original content.

I gotta laugh at the idea that DA:O was cutscene heavy. It's like a 60-90h game and I'd be surprised if there were even 1h of cutscenes.

There are plenty valid reasons to dislike DA:O, cutscenes just isn't one of them.

Can someone chime in on Mount & Blade? I've heard it said that it's better just to go with Warband and ignore the original content.

Well except for a few mods like the excellent Expanded Gameplay mod there is literally no reason to play the original Mount and Blade as Warband has everything the original has and so much more and even then there are still many mods out and being made for Warband so I'd say that there is very little reason to buy the original.

Well except for a few mods like the excellent Expanded Gameplay mod there is literally no reason to play the original Mount and Blade as Warband has everything the original has and so much more and even then there are still many mods out and being made for Warband so I'd say that there is very little reason to buy the original.

what sculelos said. Original does have more mods, but that will probably change in the future.

Cheers. I was planning on gifting it to someone but am a bit hard up so wanted to go for just Warband if I could. I'll see what the rest of the sale has in store and pick it up at the big blowout at the end.

Tally from the Steam sale so far:

-Simcity 4
-M&B Warband
-Assassin's Creed 1 and 2
-Sid Meier's Pirates! and Railroads!
-Silent Hunter 4
-The Witcher
-Fallout New Vegas and X3 Terran Conflict (got these as gifts though :D )

Just finished Lost Horizon. I'm not an adventure gamer at all but I enjoyed the storyline a lot. Played it for maybe 8-10hrs or so before it was finished(with a guide that told me how to do every puzzle).

Hint, keep choosing retreat at the final battle and you get to see a badass ending. Having the option to replay the last scene without having to go through saved game bs is a nice touch too.

Tally from the Steam sale so far:

-Simcity 4
-M&B Warband
-Assassin's Creed 1 and 2
-Sid Meier's Pirates! and Railroads!
-Silent Hunter 4
-The Witcher
-Fallout New Vegas and X3 Terran Conflict (got these as gifts though :D )

How is Pirates? I'm tempted, but is the gameplay/graphics dated?

Is there any? thought they were going till jan 2, but nothing on the homepage now.

Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood™ - (-75%)
The Ball - $4.99 (-75%)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent - $6.80 (-66%)
Greed Corp - $2.50 (-75%)
Hearts of Iron 3 Complete - $14.10 (-75%)
City of Heroes Going Rogue Complete Collection - $10.00 (-75%)
Swords and Soldiers HD - $2.50 (-75%)
Sniper: Ghost Warrior - $7.50 (-75%)
QUAKE Collection - $10.20 (-66%)
Plants vs. Zombies GOTY Edition - $4.00 (-60%)
Dead Space - $6.80 (-66%)

Anyone have any thought on this two games?

Brother In Arms series
Sniper Ghost Warrior

Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood: $2.50
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway: $4.99
Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30: $2.50
Brothers in Arms Pack: $9.99
The Ball - $4.99 (-75%)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent - $6.80 (-66%)
Greed Corp - $2.50 (-75%)
Hearts of Iron 3 Complete - $14.10 (-75%)
City of Heroes Going Rogue Complete Collection - $10.00 (-75%)
Swords and Soldiers HD - $2.50 (-75%)
Sniper: Ghost Warrior - $7.50 (-75%)
QUAKE Collection - $10.20 (-66%)
Plants vs. Zombies GOTY Edition - $4.00 (-60%)
Dead Space - $6.80 (-66%)

Brothers in arms has the worst AI I've ever seen. One time I order my squad mates to take up a defensive position behind a rock fence - I placed the cursor exactly behind the fence - and they ran towards the fence, jumped over it, so that they were now in direct line of sight, and proceeded to get shot to death. Unfortunately, that sort of thing was a common occurrence with this series.

But the real kicker: from point blank range... and I mean point blank... I once unloaded an entire clip on an enemy soldier, and he didn't go down. He shot me dead when I was reloading. There's something deeply wrong with the shooting mechanic for this series.

Sniper Ghost Warrior

I don't have much experience in the genre, but this game was received rather negatively.

However, I loved it. Which probably suggests once I play some more CoD/MoH/BC2 etc, I'll probably understand the criticism.

At $7.50, I'm going to buy it, though. (It's been on Gametap's catalog for a month or so, so I've been able to "rent" the game to play it.)

Anyone have any thought on this two games?

Brother In Arms series
Sniper Ghost Warrior

I played Hell's Highway back when it came out and enjoyed it. Instead of just gunning by yourself you actually tell your teammates to move up, setup MGs, etc in order to flank.

i bought it on release and played most of the way through. i can see why people like the squad-command type gameplay, but to me it just feels like work having to tell my AI squad members where to go. after awhile i got sick of always having to tell my gunner to lay down a base of cover fire, etc. but for anyone who likes that style of gameplay, this seems like a good deal.

interested in opinions on Sniper Ghost Warrior as well.

Kane & Lynch 2 is worth it at five dollars just to see the art direction - this title surprised me. I felt like I was a character in the movie Heat.

i bought it on release and played most of the way through. i can see why people like the squad-command type gameplay, but to me it just feels like work having to tell my AI squad members where to go. after awhile i got sick of always having to tell my gunner to lay down a base of cover fire, etc. but for anyone who likes that style of gameplay, this seems like a good deal.

Yeah, I'll agree it did get old after a bit, but offered something a little different than the standard shooters at the time.

Kane & Lynch 2 is worth it at five dollars just to see the art direction - this title surprised me. I felt like I was a character in the movie Heat.
the single player only took me 3 hours. :eek:

I picked up Amnesia and Plants vs Zombies and I might give the The Ball a go if the demo is good.

One criticism of SGW that I did find very accurate is the AI can see you from anywhere, and when they see you, the even more accurate criticism is that they have unbelievable accuracy.

For the fun of it I played the stealth missions as typical gun & run missions, and while freakin' hard, it was doable. But yeah, when you start getting hit, when you realize where the guy that's shooting you is, you'll /facepalm yourself over WTF the devs were thinking.

(Getting hit is possible and believable, but the level of accuracy in their shots from an automatic machine gun rivals what you're able to accomplish with your sniper rifle looking through a high-powered sight. Now you'll understand the criticism...)

Still, fun game. Short though, too. I thought I sucked at these games, but my first playthru was only 5.5 hours, and I kept getting killed.

Once you get good at the game, you can speedrun some levels in two minutes.

So play the game, then watch Heat, then play the game again. That's nine hours of solid entertainment, folks.

Yep it's a 3 hour game. And there's no one playing multiplayer. So basically, all you get for your money is a very short, very average shooting gallery with a very annoying camera.
well you can turn on steady cam and then its just fine. I liked the way the game was done because it was different. there just needed to be much more single player content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back