Steam Sale is on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do the people who have played/own The Witcher think of it? For someone who thoroughly enjoyed Oblivion, is this a worthwhile game at its current price?

I bought it becuase I usually have a stable internet connection and I dont own a console. it is quite ridiculous being required to be connected the whole time for a single player game though. also there seems to be issue with saves disappearing and users losing progress that has me a bit worried.

Hey cannon I found this on the AC2 forums

"In the Ubi Launcher click on the "gear" icon and disable saving to Ubisoft server (your savegames will be stored localy). "

What do the people who have played/own The Witcher think of it? For someone who thoroughly enjoyed Oblivion, is this a worthwhile game at its current price?

It's on KOTOR's level. It's not as sandbox as Betheseda games but that is probably why I hate their games.

$5 is worth the intro and ending scenes alone

Incredibly, incredibly, buggy.

I encountered 0 bugs in my play through. Using the Director's cut version of the Enhanced Edition. Yeah, there ARE bugs, I've read some forum posts here and there about them, but I didn't encounter any.

Oh, and it's an excellent game. One of the best I've played in recent years, might be my retroactive GOTY (for 2007, I believe).

So here I am on the first day of the sale and I see FEAR 2 (and 1 and all DLC's for that matter) are on sale for a GREAT price; my heart sinks as I can't invest the ten bucks on the game I've had on my wish list for two sale seasons with no sale. :(

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Doth my eyes decieve me?!?!?! IT'S ON SALE AGAIN, AND THIS TIME I HAVE A GIFT CARD!!!

:D :D :D

Okay, sorry; I had to post it, because it really does feel like Steam gave me a (albeit small) Christmas wish; thank you Steam! :)

I forgot about the sales and didn't catch fear and super meat boy on sale but was hoping for a end of sale recap sale including those two games. I have been tearing up Super Meat Boy as well. I hope the later levels get hard as hell because the first two worlds, light and dark versions of both have been cake walks. I also would have to recommend VVVVVV as a purchase for anybody as well. Atari graphics but fun as hell too. I finally jumped and bought the witcher after years of hearing people recommend the game to me. I bought FEAR because the sale would save me $5 over buying FEAR2 and its expansion, since I already had the FEAR 1 deal when it first came out. I also recommend PB Winterbottom as a purchase during the sale. $0.49 is well spent on this game. All of the titles I just mentioned excluding FEAR would be best played on an xbox controller. They are very enjoyable experiences.

So far this year I picked up...

Epic Games Unreal Deal
BFBC2
Flatout UC
Overlord 1&2
Torchlight
Trials2
Batman
Plants vs Zombies

It's not a ton but i still feel I made a nice haul this holiday and have nothing to complain about. We still have plenty of time left for them to surprise us.

hows darksiders? i played the demo on 360 and was severely disappointed. it looked and played like crap. i heard its more like a zelda game than a hack n slash and that interests me...but that demo on 360 has left a sour taste in my mouth. or would my money be better spent on AC2? i never played the first AC but ive heard nothing but praise about the series and dont mind paying the extra $5 for AC2.

I encountered 0 bugs in my play through. Using the Director's cut version of the Enhanced Edition. Yeah, there ARE bugs, I've read some forum posts here and there about them, but I didn't encounter any.

Oh, and it's an excellent game. One of the best I've played in recent years, might be my retroactive GOTY (for 2007, I believe).

That was the year COD4 came out, tough to say that......

witcher was buggy when released but that was years and dozens of patches ago, it's as polished as anyone could possibly reasonably expect of any game now. More polished than most bioware games.

Darksiders initially had screen tearing and framerate issues on the 360 which its why I picked up the Ps3 version. Eventually they released a patch for the 360 one that fixed those problems. Anyway it's a very underrated game IMHO, awesome game. A mix of God of War and Zelda.

I did some reading on Darksiders and supposedly the Windows version is the best Darksiders version. Something about the consoles not being as capable of handling the game.

I did some reading on Darksiders and supposedly the Windows version is the best Darksiders version. Something about the consoles not being as capable of handling the game.

It's a decent looking game, but too much for consoles (ie better graphically than the Uncharted or Gears of War franchises)? No.
Reading some of the PC version reviews through Metacritic, it's clear that it's a port.

http://www.gamefocus.ca/?nav=reviewCard&fid=9556
However, you would think having Darksiders on PC would allow experienced PC users to visually tweak the game to their taste or hardware ability. Unfortunately, there’s no way to customize the visuals. You can fool around with the screen resolution and enable/disable the vertical sync option...and that’s about it. So unless you have a very powerful rig (or at least something better than the recommend system settings), the experience might get tarnished as you can’t make very many adjustments to make it run smoother on your PC

Conclusion

My feelings towards Darksiders haven’t changed a lot since its original release back in January and I’m not hesitating to recommend it despite its technical nitpicks. PC gamers (considering you have a powerful system) have no right to skip this one, its worth your time and your money.

Agreed wholeheartedly, especially for only $10 bucks.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/darksiderswrathofwar/review.html
The PC version of this entertaining romp didn't receive the star treatment you would have wanted for a port released almost nine months after its initial console release. But while it doesn't boast the expected graphical bells and whistles, it runs well, looks good, and keeps the pace moving by mixing up the action and constantly introducing new ways to triumph over your foes.

While the cutscenes look a bit too pixelated in comparison to the action's sharper look, Darksiders' striking art style makes it easy to look at--though distracting screen tearing will have you rushing to turn on V-sync in the visual options. Unfortunately, you won't find many other options there, outside of screen brightness. If the game has trouble keeping up with your PC, you won't be able to turn any settings down; conversely, if you want to clean up some of the aliasing and blurry textures, you are out of luck.

It's still a great game though, no matter what you play it on. Good graphics, good voice acting, great story, great gameplay and combo engine. They are supposed to be working on a sequel too.
As you can probably imagine, reviews say you'll do better with a 360 gamepad than mouse+keyboard, and judging by the time I've spent with the Ps3 one so far (probably about 12 hours in, haven't finished it yet though), I'd agree with that. I wouldn't expect people to willingly want to play a 3D Zelda with a KB+M, and likewise the same can be said for Darksiders.

Last edited:
If I buy a game then no longer want it, is the CD key tied to my account or can I pass it to someone else?

But for this game I"m talking about it comes with a CD key and I didn't install it.
Can I pass it on?

I don't think so but i'm not a 100% positive. I tried to register a game that can be bought in Steam but was purchased through Microsoft and it told me it was an invalid key.

Yay!!! The re-did both the main things I missed out on! They got the FEAR pack and BFBC2 back on the killer sales. Wahoo!!!!

So I have the international version of The Witcher which I bought from someone on the FS/FT forums last year; I'm pretty sure it was the international uncensored edition. I got a few hours into the game, but I stopped due to lack of interest/a few bugs. Is this version the same as the uncensored version? If I'm going to get into the game again, I'd like to get this version, if it's the same

So I have the international version of The Witcher which I bought from someone on the FS/FT forums last year; I'm pretty sure it was the international uncensored edition. I got a few hours into the game, but I stopped due to lack of interest/a few bugs. Is this version the same as the uncensored version? If I'm going to get into the game again, I'd like to get this version, if it's the same
The Enhanced Edition/Director's Cut patches removed the censorship from all versions as far as I know. The version Steam is selling is fully up to date and uncensored.

Looking at the rating of the game on Steam kinda answers your question. The US standard version is sensored because of the adult content. All enhanced editions include all the 18+ content your seeking. LOL:D

so far ive gotten since turkey day:

Mafia II
Metro 2033
Fear Complete pack
Just cause 2
Mass effect 1 - 2
The misadventures of P.B Winterbottom
NYXQuest
Osmos
Psychonauts
Stalker Complete Series
The Witcher EE
World of Goo
Darksiders
Battlefield BC2
Ghost Recon Complete
Bioshock 1 & 2
Cryostasis
TitanQuest + Immortal Throne

Many More to come

Gifted 4 games

Looking at the rating of the game on Steam kinda answers your question. The US standard version is sensored because of the adult content. All enhanced editions include all the 18+ content your seeking. LOL:D

Hell yeah, man. You've got have the tarot of cards with the boobs on them; otherwise whats the point? ;) Looks like I'm going to have to pick up another copy of this game, so I can have a copy on my steam account :cool:

There is no such thing as the standard edition anymore. Even if you somehow manage to find a non-EE version in stores you can still get the EE and Director's Cut content through patches.

PS: The Director's Cut content adds the cut stuff back in, not the Extended Edition.

There is no such thing as the standard edition anymore. Even if you somehow manage to find a non-EE version in stores you can still get the EE and Director's Cut content through patches.

PS: The Director's Cut content adds the cut stuff back in, not the Extended Edition.

So what does the extended edition give you? I'm confused with all these different versions

just bought BC2 for $6.80, yea yea if I wasn't so cheap I would've saved ($0.01) getting it @ $6.79.

But yea, BC2 is BACK for $6.80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back