• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Steam Linux Client Enters Open Beta

There were over 60,000 initial applications for the beta test. Let us also not forget the Humble Bundle (http://www.humblebundle.com/) in which GNU/Linux and Mac users make up a not insignificant portion of the sales (and it is also interesting that Windows users are cheapskates paying only slightly over half what GNU/Linux users are paying on average).

60k is like 3 people. The biggest selling Humble Bundle? The Windows only THQ bundle...
 
For someone who's unlikely to fully transition to a tablet for all of your computing needs you sure do hate Linux, your future OS, a lot

:D
 
For someone who's unlikely to fully transition to a tablet for all of your computing needs you sure do hate Linux, your future OS, a lot

:D

I never said I hated Linux, i use it (rarely) for purposes (mainly live CDs), it's just not a gaming OS. If the programs I used for stuff all moved to Linux and gave me better performance and support, I wouldn't mind using it. But as they are still 100% not on Linux and would likely have worse performance, not really going to happen.

Actually 60,000 is greater than 3 to the 10th power, but don't let your evident lack the ability to quantify stop you from spewing further nonsense.

You know what the word "like" means? 60k isn't crap for a userbase. At least not one bothering with for a game with anything of a budget, so might as well be 3 people.
 
It absolutely rocks that I can run this on my work box, but Linux + big picture = Steam console. I'm OK with that. If Valve does release a Linux based console and it gets traction, nothing but good stuff will come from this for those of us who dual boot for work and play. Probably not enough of us from a desktop standpoint, but as a console there is a large audience.
 
Linux gaming has to start somewhere. If no one is willing to venture off to new avenues just because the demand is relatively smaller at the moment, then we will never ever get anywhere, we'll forever stay on Windows. Not saying Microsoft will kill off PC gaming anytime soon, but who knows what will happen in the future. Its always good to have an alternative.

I'm glad Valve is spearheading the effort to make Linux gaming more accessible, along with indie and crowd funded devs supporting Linux. This is a good start.
 
All of you drawing lines in the sand need to chill. Think of it this way. Valve making a Linux client is a good thing. It creates competition in "mind-share" spaces and will force Microsoft to refocus their efforts regarding their long standing dominance in the PC gaming space. These are all good things.

Personally I think the Linux client is pretty good for the soft offering of games it has so far. It will get better as this product gets out of beta.

Lastly... the Windows 8 hate in here is a little off base too. Every game I play is getting better fps in Win8 (but only by a tiny bit) and I haven't seen Metro since the day I put it on my PC. Win8 is what you make of it.
 
THQ is clearly good at making sound business decisions. I'm sure the Linux thing will work out just fine for them.
 
Minor userbase? Have you seen the forums?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions

There were over 60,000 initial applications for the beta test. Let us also not forget the Humble Bundle (http://www.humblebundle.com/) in which GNU/Linux and Mac users make up a not insignificant portion of the sales (and it is also interesting that Windows users are cheapskates paying only slightly over half what GNU/Linux users are paying on average).

Egosoft is hiring GNU/Linux developers to port their games (X Series) to GNU/Linux. Dungeon Defenders now has a GNU/Linux version which means that Unreal Engine 3 now supports GNU/Linux. The Unity Engine also supports GNU/Linux. Many major titles on Kickstarter have announced GNU/Linux support including Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity. Even World of Warcraft has a GNU/Linux client (although for whatever reason, even though they spent the time and money to port it, they won't release it, only using it internally).

With the advent of tablets and with the rising popularity of GNU/Linux and Mac, developers can ill afford to continue to use inferior proprietary Windows-only libraries like DirectX. Before Microsoft came around and used their dirty tricks to monopolize the operating system market, people wrote cross platform software all of the time. It is not that difficult if you avoid using Microsoft locked-in training wheels like Visual Studio and DirectX.
Lazy developers are a plenty so they will still continue to use easy m$ things when they can, most people rather have something be easy to do, than it be obtuse.
Oh, really? Are you sure about that?

Windows 8 isn't Windows 7. I heard they added an app store, or something.
Gabe probably just mad cuz he can't eat it.
 
Most of you guys are missing the point here, well there are a few huge ones really that have not been discussed.

1. Valve is currently working on a console. This console will undoubtedly be running some form of Linux. So with that said, it makes sense for them to port games to it...

2. Valve has publicly stated that they detest Microsoft for the way they are forcing devs to comply with the Windows store terms in Windows 8. Gabe Newell is ready to ditch MS for good. Steam 1st party titles and any third party games in which the developer will dedicate programmer time to Linux is being fast tracked.

3. Valve is ready to play with the big boys. Its high time that Steam is as big a household name as Microsoft or Sony. (I for one would gladly make the switch) When Valve does something they do it right, it's about time that they realize how much potential the brand has to expand. I'd look to them to be the next HUGE tech company. If anyone can do it it's Valve!

Now you get it. ;-)
 
Two more things, and this is just personal opinion.

I would not be surprised if Half Life 3 were a console (Linux) exclusive title, along with the Source 2 engine. It makes perfect sense, and that way they would have a killer exclusive right off the bat. In fact I think it would stupid of them to do otherwise.

Google will release a PC version of android around the same time all of this happens. Almost everyone I know would switch to Android /Linux if it was the de facto gaming platform. Its the only reason Linux did not take off in the days of Vista. Now that we are seeing a repeat of that situation it would be the perfect time for Linux on the desktop... FINALLY
 
Most of you guys are missing the point here, well there are a few huge ones really that have not been discussed.

1. Valve is currently working on a console. This console will undoubtedly be running some form of Linux. So with that said, it makes sense for them to port games to it...

2. Valve has publicly stated that they detest Microsoft for the way they are forcing devs to comply with the Windows store terms in Windows 8. Gabe Newell is ready to ditch MS for good. Steam 1st party titles and any third party games in which the developer will dedicate programmer time to Linux is being fast tracked.

3. Valve is ready to play with the big boys. Its high time that Steam is as big a household name as Microsoft or Sony. (I for one would gladly make the switch) When Valve does something they do it right, it's about time that they realize how much potential the brand has to expand. I'd look to them to be the next HUGE tech company. If anyone can do it it's Valve!

Now you get it. ;-)
You do know as a company activation is worth more then valve? And is not where near the level of microsoft, nintendo or sony. They are nothing but a tiny middleman for developers to push sub-par steam drm over their games and help with digital distribution.

Valve is only worried about windows 8 store if windows 8 store starts to distribute full games, because it competes with them. And yes Microsoft is forcing developers to comply with rules in order to be in the windows 8 store but that store is entirely optional to the OS unless you're running the RT version in which steam doesn't even compete in because that's all mobile platform.

It's like notch bitching about not complying with windows store when he sold out and already redid parts of mine craft in order to cash in for microsoft store for x-box. Most of the requirements for an app on windows 8 store is about avoiding bad developing.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh749939.aspx

It's also why you probably wont see full fledge games on windows store unless they change the rules and distribute normal applications along with windows RunTime applications.
 
Two more things, and this is just personal opinion.

I would not be surprised if Half Life 3 were a console (Linux) exclusive title, along with the Source 2 engine. It makes perfect sense, and that way they would have a killer exclusive right off the bat. In fact I think it would stupid of them to do otherwise.

Google will release a PC version of android around the same time all of this happens. Almost everyone I know would switch to Android /Linux if it was the de facto gaming platform. Its the only reason Linux did not take off in the days of Vista. Now that we are seeing a repeat of that situation it would be the perfect time for Linux on the desktop... FINALLY
Google already released their OS for desktops it was chrome OS and it was nothing but a locked down linux variant running google chrome and a google chrome app store. They have no place in desktops the formula's for android's success would never work for a desktop there is no revenue there unless they again use apps along with ads and have high market penetration(which is unlikely) or they make it cost money to buy.
 
Lazy developers are a plenty so they will still continue to use easy m$ things when they can, most people rather have something be easy to do, than it be obtuse.

Yeah, we wouldn't want competent programmers who can program without training wheels :rolleyes:

I can program many times faster in VIM than I can in Visual Studio and I actually understand what I am doing since I am not relying on the computer to tell me what a function does or doesn't do.

Gabe probably just mad cuz he can't eat it.

Why do Microsoft shills continuously feel the need to make fun of his weight. His weight has absolutely nothing to do with Windows 8, Valve, or GNU/Linux.
 
Curious. Visual Studio's never told me what a function does, only what its function signature is.
 
Google already released their OS for desktops it was chrome OS and it was nothing but a locked down linux variant running google chrome and a google chrome app store. They have no place in desktops the formula's for android's success would never work for a desktop there is no revenue there unless they again use apps along with ads and have high market penetration(which is unlikely) or they make it cost money to buy.

No, you're wrong. If you think that Google is incapable or uninterested in putting Android on anything and everything, including desktops, you don't see the big picture. Chrome OS came from a different team than Android. The two projects were separate. Chrome OS was, in my opinion, an experiment.

Google is developing Android for the desktop, they are in partnership with Intel. A quick search on Google will lend you all the info you need.

Finally, Linux is going to have it's day in the sun. Screw Microsoft.
 
Finally, Linux is going to have it's day in the sun. Screw Microsoft.
So when is this "sun" supposed to shine? It's been pretty cloudy here as of late, :D.

While I would like to see Linux have it's "day in the sun" I just don't think it will happen anytime soon. People said pretty much the same thing when Vista got released and well it didn't happen. I think it will take a lot more than just Steam on Linux for it to have it's day. Gaming is just a small portion of what people do on their computers. Most games played these days are more of the "casual" type, FB and the likes come to mind.
Most people aren't going to install a different OS than what came with their PC if the one they have works fine for them.
Now if a developer on the Linux platform started catering to the businesses then it would stand a better chance than a gaming distributor like Steam/Valve.

Like I said though, I would like to see Linux get more main stream on the desktop but sadly I just don't see it happening anytime soon.
 
I disagree, I think that if gamers and enthusiasts make the switch then the rest would follow. I know that if I used linux about 25 people I know would switch too. the gamers are the "gurus" of the community, the casual users will do whatever we say. You must agree with that.

linux already has more users than ms, if you include tablets and phones that is. They already won the battle, it's only a matter of time before it bleeds over into the pc.
 
Finally, Linux is going to have it's day in the sun. Screw Microsoft.

Even as big of a Linux shill as I am, I have to say that's never going to happen.
Day in the sun? At best it'll temporarily receive a small ray of light, but even then, it just ended up being bird droppings.
 
Yeah... unless Linux is pre-installed on OEM machines and distributed in the US/UK, I don't see Linux gaining significant market share any time soon.
 
You have to remember that right now it, under android, is the biggest already, just not on desktops... so when you look at it that way it's easy to see how they are closer than people want to admit. I'll rest by saying that I personally believe that it's already happening, MS knows it, Valve knows it, as do many others.
 
You have to remember that right now it, under android, is the biggest already, just not on desktops... so when you look at it that way it's easy to see how they are closer than people want to admit. I'll rest by saying that I personally believe that it's already happening, MS knows it, Valve knows it, as do many others.

It's not the same, that's Droid/Linux, not the same as GNU/Linux.
 
Even as big of a Linux shill as I am, I have to say that's never going to happen.
Day in the sun? At best it'll temporarily receive a small ray of light, but even then, it just ended up being bird droppings.
Linux has it's place in the sun, in mostly locked down purpose made devices like TiVo. But desktop computing, more choice only confuses and dissatisfies people even if in the end they are better off. Shopping psychology ftl.
 
The linux community is a small user base, dont kid yourself. Just linux itself valve would not care, this is all about the future play. 1 their own console, 2 the android push onto the desktop / laptop google will surely make. If not for the second item I doubt valve would even try it.
 
Back
Top