Steam Link $2.50

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Nope, not a typo. The Steam Link is $2.50. Now the question is, and tell us in the HardForum, what kind of hacks are there out for these.

Play your Steam games on any TV in the house with Steam Link. Setup is easy. Just connect your Steam Link to your TV and home network, where it will automatically discover any computer running Steam. Then grab a controller and play your collection of games from the comfort of your couch.

you sure? I dont even get a purchase tab online or in steam.
Na, I never actually look at anything we post on the news page.

upload_2018-6-21_17-8-28.png

Pleasantly surprised at how well this works, especially for couch/controller games. I played almost the entirety of Witcher 3 on the living room TV but streamed from a gaming PC elsewhere in the house. It never flinched. It supports WiFi but I found Ethernet works best obviously.

This thing works like a champion on my Asus AC-3100 WiFi at 1080p. It adds 4-5ms of input lag at most through two floors which is imperceivable with a Xbox 360 controller.

I don’t use it much, but the tech has been flawless for me the few times I have.

just bought both a steam link and controller from steam .. price was over 46 bucks with shipping to PA USA .. hope i like it ..more interested in the controller tho as my old logitech usb dual action pad is showing its age ..bought it for 8 bucks at a local computer show back in 1999 ..yes its taken a beating over the years ...

also

Estimated Delivery: 4-8 Business Days
Delivery delays are expected due to high order volume

Last edited:
If you don't have one of these get one. I bought one of these and four steam controllers when they released and I while I don't regret purchasing any of it the steam link is by far the crown jewel of the hardware lineup. It's about as plug-n-play, "just works" as it gets for playing PC games on your TV without having to have a second pc, a long hdmi cable, or anything other than a network wire (and they're wireless so you technically don't even need that much) running to your TV.

Definitely was worth the 49+ship that I paid for it, under $15 is a no-brainer.

I play Witcher 3 in my living room over WiFi (802.11AC) with one of these and it's almost flawless. Small hiccups here and there but not a deal breaker in the least. I got mine on sale for $15 so this deal is killer.

Real happy with mine.

It's paied to a wireless XB1 controller and I'll sit down, push the Xbox button and it turns on the steam link and my TV auto switches to that HDMI input. It's literally like having a seemless PC "console".

Question - only works for Steam games, correct? I could not use this to stream non-steam games or apps?

Question - only works for Steam games, correct? I could not use this to stream non-steam games or apps?

It defaults to Steam Big Picture mode...but then there is an official option in Steam Big Picture to go to your desktop. I have successfully streamed Diablo 3 to the Steam Link for couch comfort.

Gah, stupid ebay jerks bought out everything when they went on sale at EBGames in Canada, and now I cant get one from the states unless i pay stupid markups from amazon.
I just want an affordable steam link!

I have one - it works great over an ethernet cable. Have to admit, I don't use mine very often.

I was super nervous it wouldn't work well when I moved and couldn't run an Ethernet cable to it anymore. Surprisingly on AC WiFi I'm having really good results. Not something I would play multiplayer competitive stuff with but for single player it's great.

I was super nervous it wouldn't work well when I moved and couldn't run an Ethernet cable to it anymore. Surprisingly on AC WiFi I'm having really good results. Not something I would play multiplayer competitive stuff with but for single player it's great.
thank you that's the answer i was looking for

Don't even try with multiplayer with the steam link or any streaming device for that matter in my opinion. I have a ethernet connection going to mine and there is to much lag time between the input of the controller/mouse and keyboard and the multiplayer game. At least thats been my experience with game streaming (both the steam link and Moonlight on a Raspberry Pi).

I almost pulled the plug, but I only have 1 TV and it's connected to a computer, outputting 4k@60hz. Steam Link even though it's €2.5 is a waste of money in my case.

Also comes with a dozen Nvidia Titan X boards and a Threadripper.

In all fairness, looks like somebody is just trying to clear out product at way below their cost. This might be a good deal.... or a deal that doesn't work tomorrow....

Don't even try with multiplayer with the steam link or any streaming device for that matter in my opinion. I have a ethernet connection going to mine and there is to much lag time between the input of the controller/mouse and keyboard and the multiplayer game. At least thats been my experience with game streaming (both the steam link and Moonlight on a Raspberry Pi).

I should note this is LAN only. My PC and Steamlink are both local, I have no experience with WAN streaming like with Moonlight.

YMMV of course but the I can't tell there is any lag at all playing The Witcher 3 locally over AC WiFi.

I am actually using mine right now. I moved my pc to the living room for VR. I use steam link almost exclusively for non-VR stuff. Best setting to change is hidden under streaming / advanced options / start streaming desktop. As soon as it connects it is at desktop, no big picture at all. Also this thing automatically streams any VR games to a second tv. I have a Keyboard, mouse, and DS4 controller connected. I can see it Pixilate YouTube style every once in a while when multiple users are on the free cable modem router. Only complaint is if I get any elevated prompts, I do have to go to the main PC. I cannot handle them from the remote m/kb

For Canadians check EB Games, I picked one up for $6 CAD a few months ago from there when they went on sale like this last time.

This might sound like a stupid question, but can the Steam Link play non Steam games? I have tons of Origin, Uplay, Blizzard, and other games. It's kind of useless if I can only play certain games from my library.

This might sound like a stupid question, but can the Steam Link play non Steam games? I have tons of Origin, Uplay, Blizzard, and other games. It's kind of useless if I can only play certain games from my library.
Any game you can add to steam as a non-steam game will work IF you can launch and play the game through steam using a controller.

Blizzard games are complicated, trying to launch a blizzard game using its exe opens the battle net client. There is a script that fixes this for you though.

Everything works, no steam necessary. I commonly use internet, epic launcher, etc.

There's no Buy option for me, either. In Canada. I guess the offer is only for the USA.

For Canadians check EB Games, I picked one up for $6 CAD a few months ago from there when they went on sale like this last time.

Yup, I got 2 for $11.47 total back in January. People at ebgames had no idea about the sale, call their manager and he confirmed it.

Any way to add qty over 1? Shipping makes it more than gamestop but if I can get 2.....

I bought one when they were $20. It's still worth it at $20. Played through Firewatch on my couch, as well as a few other games. It works damn good.

I don't use a Steam controller. I had a Logitech Wireless Rumblepad I've had for ages, and it works just fine. If you want to save some cash and not buy a Steam controller.

YMMV, but I use the steamlink as a full remote desktop/pc streaming device. I have my PC setup in the garage while I use a steamlink in the living room and master bedroom.

I use virtualhere with the steamlink to share my xbox one wireless adapter, wireless mouse and keyboard in the living room and use a logitech k400 and another xbox one wireless adapter in the bedroom. My headset is a Logitech G533 that seems to have crazy range throughout the house but I keep that dongle plugged into the PC directly.

Took some typical PC trial/error and configuring to get it all working the way I want but it works for me for casual PC use, gaming and work. My PC's fan noise & heat are now out of the living area (wife happy) and my PC can be accessed mostly fully from anywhere in the house via cat5 or moca. *I still need to have a local monitor and mouse/keyboard attached whenever I want to access the bios.

Back