Steam interface update

New rendering engine is webkit which is used in Chrome and Safari.

You must have joined pretty late in the beta because early on it was UNUSABLE. When the beta first hit it was probably one of the worst GUIs I've ever seen but they've cleaned it up A LOT since then made it better than the old one.

I was using the beta since day 2 of it. and I know of all the problems it faced in the begining with the messages poping up with no text or all like //////////// and all the other crap. But I kept with it mainly because I love the list view, with the backdrop changing based on game with all the info there. I really hate the generic buttons though we don't need some sort of iphone app list. Also the ability to find all the steam groups associated with games and whatever. It's very nice. :cool:

I was using the beta since day 2 of it. and I know of all the problems it faced in the begining with the messages poping up with no text or all like //////////// and all the other crap. But I kept with it mainly because I love the list view, with the backdrop changing based on game with all the info there. I really hate the generic buttons though we don't need some sort of iphone app list. Also the ability to find all the steam groups associated with games and whatever. It's very nice. :cool:

Well when it first came out I couldn't read my friends list while in game, the chat windows were almost twice as big as they are now, there was no small mode so I had to have the massive window open, tons of wasted empty space all over the UI, Steam bugging out and fucking up games for some people, and they removed functionality. Luckily they fixed all of that in a short amount of time adding back in old functionality they removed and shrinking some of the massive typefaces they had put into it. I'm grateful for the much needed update but there are other things they could have done such as improving their piss poor privacy controls.

Yeah, all in all, I like it better. It took a bit of getting used to, but not too much.

Still seems perfectly functional to me. I like the integration of the news and updates into the detailed library view.

I think this update could have happened at least a year or two ago but I welcome it just the same, hopefully it doesn't take that many years before the next refresh.

Jesus, I hope not. They really need to reconsider their Web 2.0 update look. There are LOTS of folks that prefer clean and simple over whiz-bang. Not including a classic mode was a sin.

Last edited:
Tried the beta ages ago, wasn't fond of it then and I'm not fond of it now. Wish they would at least give us the option of using the old and basic interface. This one has way too much "shine". :mad:

Tried the beta ages ago, wasn't fond of it then and I'm not fond of it now. Wish they would at least give us the option of using the old and basic interface. This one has way too much "shine". :mad:

Agreed too the max. Not a fan at all.

Granted, it's shinier, but they added massive functionality. Overall the density of information displayed has risen, I think. Certainly not declined. I'm liking all the new library features.

dont like it at first, but just because i wasnt used to it.

second i get into a game i forget about it.

Back