Steam Greenlight is live!

Gah, its like 99% shit. :( There is one or two that seem interesting, but the overall quality is terrible (plus it's hard to tell how good a game is from some crappy screenshots and a 30 seconds video... the gameplay or story could be utter crap :p).

There will be a flood of crap too once people find how easy it is to submit whatever to it. :D

My main concern in regards to Greenlight is what could happen in the event of a 'banwagon' project appearing on the service.

For instance, some of you might know The Yogscast – they have one of the biggest followings on the interwebs. As such, if they were to submit their currently-in-development game Yogventures to Greenlight, it would be definitely validated on the service by their followers, regardless of the quality of the game.

I'm wondering how detrimental this kind of occurrence could be to smaller projects which are barely known by the public but would deserve recognition and validation.

My main concern in regards to Greenlight is what could happen in the event of a 'banwagon' project appearing on the service.

For instance, some of you might know The Yogscast – they have one of the biggest followings on the interwebs. As such, if they were to submit their currently-in-development game Yogventures to Greenlight, it would be definitely validated on the service by their followers, regardless of the quality of the game.

I'm wondering how detrimental this kind of occurrence could be to smaller projects which are barely known by the public but would deserve recognition and validation.

I haven't read the FAQ, but can't you vote for more than one project? So even though the little guy might not get validated as fast as the bandwagon game, eventually they can get there. I do need to read about it before I comment though. Hate to be uninformed. :)

I find it kind of interesting that Indie seems to really be filling that void of Super Nintendo Nostalgia. I think publishers would be surprised to find out how many people would pay more for another super metroid or R-type than modern warfare anyday.

Last edited:
I find it kind of interesting that Indie seems to really be filling that void of Super Nintendo Nostalgia. I think publishers would be surprised to find out however people would pay more for another super metroid or R-type than modern warfare anyday.

I got to some old school N64 looking wrestling game and voted for it. I used to love those titles and I couldn't help myself. It was so slow moving in the video the devs posted. I thought it was 4D boxing reincarnated initially.

I find it kind of interesting that Indie seems to really be filling that void of Super Nintendo Nostalgia. I think publishers would be surprised to find out however people would pay more for another super metroid or R-type than modern warfare anyday.

That would be SO awesome to get another classic side scrolling metroid that wasn't a fps pile of poo or a 90's style R-Type that actually still had music unlike Final that just had boring mostly ambient sound *yawn*

or another mega man x....

edit: I would happily pay $20 for either one of those!

I'm not sure exactly how Valve decides whats go there, but the fact that big titles won't go through this normal process indicates that Valve still needs to have control over what games to have on their platform, and only a certain group of games ends up there for the community to decide. Wouldn't surprise me if these are very small indie games or those rejected by Valve's usual approval process.

I think its interesting though, as now we get to see the kind of games Valve gets bombarded with to be sold on Steam, lol. Whats up with all that simulator games by the same company.

Ooo, I see Neotokyo is on there, that's actually a really great game, if you like CS you'd like NT.

Back