Steam Controller has Hidden Bluetooth LE Support

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
All three of you that own a Steam Controller, will be happy to know that it has had Bluetooth support for years now. So if you are dusting it off and thinking about using it with the Steam Link App, you are in luck as Valve is actually going to allow you to use the feature later this summer to connect to your Android for iOS device. We are not sure if we have ever talked to anyone that has actually used the controller to play games with, but we do know that it was partly responsible for the rather shoddy roll-out of the Steam Machines back in the day.

You can now add Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) functionality to your Steam Controller. This feature is required to enjoy the Steam Link app, but may provide benefit in other use cases as well. This FAQ describes what this BLE connection can and cannot do compared to the original wireless solution, steps to update your controller to add BLE support, and how to switch between wireless modes once the update is installed.

Honestly, I really like the Steam Controller. There needs to be some changes, but the dual touchpads are great for a lot of FPS games and for RTS games that normally require a mouse. The biggest downside is that there is no D-pad, which hurts for fighting games, but it does have some nice strengths that make it a unique controller.

When doing the firmware update remember to place the Steam Controller's wireless transmitter dongle as close to the controller as possible. I couldn't get mine to update until I dragged it out from under my PC's power supply. Ha ha. Don't judge me as it worked just fine with it under there for years! ;) ;) ;)

I also have and enjoy the Steam Controller. I'd say it's utility on the PC makes it a good fit, as it mimics the mouse well enough to not require you to switch back and forth when moving between applications. The layout has a steep learning curve, but that is largely because of the years most of us have learning the Xbox and PS controllers.

I'm curious to see how the BLE functionality works out. Most people on the various forums seem to think the latency issues will make it an unusable pile of crap, but I'm one for hard data over hearsay.

I have a Steam controller, it has some fantastic features muddied by a horrifically shitty button/control layout.

Yay on BT support I guess.

Don't forget to hold X + Steam button on the controller to pair the controller back to your PC afterwards. Firmware flashed onto my retail and prototype Steam Controllers just fine. Haven't tested the new features yet.

2018-05-16.png

I got one so I could be lazy and not use a keyboard and mouse on my sofa. I used it for a few months and found my hands cramping up, so now, I use a keyboard and mouse on my sofa. But glad I could use it on my phone.. you know.. if it wasn't basically able to take up more space than just taking a capable laptop in the first place.

I wanted to like the Steam controller, but never could. Button placement on the right side made using any face buttons uncomfortable. Ditto with the left analog stick.

As far as Bluetooth goes, IMO using a dedicated dongle > Bluetooth for every pad I've ever tried it with. That includes the PS3 pad, PS4 pad, Xbox One pad, and 3 different Bluetooth dongles. I always test things with Street Fighter (where rapid inputs are necessary and can shown on-screen) and Bluetooth drops inputs pretty regularly. It might not matter for every game, but when you're trying to nail a 720 degree spin and 3 buttons at the same time, Bluetooth borks it about 1/4 of the time. The dedicated dongles from MS and Sony don't.

I have one, plus a Steam Link. They were a combo deal that seemed pretty cheap over the last Christmas holiday sales. Never took the Link out of the box and the controller I used for maybe a total of 20 min. It was a good experience in that it did what it was supposed to do, but not so much that I continued it's use. Nice to know it has an added feature now.....

This could be interesting for android games.

I personally use mine as a controller for couch viewing TV content on my PC. That trackpad is nice. A suitable mouse substitute.

Also co op games.

I have one, plus a Steam Link. They were a combo deal that seemed pretty cheap over the last Christmas holiday sales. Never took the Link out of the box and the controller I used for maybe a total of 20 min. It was a good experience in that it did what it was supposed to do, but not so much that I continued it's use. Nice to know it has an added feature now.....

if its been collecting dust, mind sending it off to a new home?

(for a bit of moolah of course) :)

I can honestly say I never met anyone who got one. Nothing against 'em, just never seen one in the wild. A mythical beast indeed, much like steam machines or a completed star citizen.
"I haven't personally seen one so it must not exist". Perfect.

I could not get used to that controller tbh. I might need to try it again but meh I ended up buying a Xbox One controller instead for my Single player gaming.

I really want a wireless game keypad that replaces the joystick with a trackball maybe in 50 years Logitech or Razer might actually make one, but not holding my breath on it happening. I'd get a PS4 controller and Bluetooth dongle before I got a steam controller though. I'd take my chances on a steam controller over a xbox controller however I hate them too big too heavy terrible d-pad and even buttons feel tiny and a touch stiff.

Last edited:
I can honestly say I never met anyone who got one. Nothing against 'em, just never seen one in the wild. A mythical beast indeed, much like steam machines or a completed star citizen.

They run sales on them pretty regularly. I got one bundled with a game for the cost of the game + like $5. Outside of people ordering them on Steam like that, I don't think they're available via normal retail.

They run sales on them pretty regularly. I got one bundled with a game for the cost of the game + like $5. Outside of people ordering them on Steam like that, I don't think they're available via normal retail.
I bought my first one from Amazon and the second one used off EBAY. I haven't seen them in stock for retail on Amazon in quite awhile though.

If someone is really interested in one they can wait for the inevitable Steam Summer Sale and get one bundled with a game for really cheap as you stated. I use mine to navigate my PC when I'm in the bed. It has the popup keyboard so I can actually type messages to people too. A great deal of the front page news was found in this way in the early morning. ;)

Skip to the 4:37 mark for actual game play. This is a video on how you can config the controller to play the game Warframe which is a shooter. He was NOT trying to play well in the first video as it is more of a tutorial on the Steam Controller. He has an overlay so you can see when he presses the buttons with the exception of the gyro control.

In this video he is playing to win as they say. :)

I held one in my hands but didn't bother to use it. If it's anything like the Vive controllers, then I would not recommend it. Touch is great, just not on a flat surface.

Good to know. I'm Ledhead11 there, another time, another era, you know. I admit if I'd noticed on a sale I'd probably tried one at that price.

I owned one. Had it's uses and benefits but ultimately kept reaching for my Dualshock 4. Just sold my Steam Controller actually...hadn't touched it in several months.

Back