Steam Big Picture Mode beta has Steam Deck UI refresh

staknhalo

Supreme [H]ardness
https://www.neowin.net/news/steam-big-picture-modes-steam-deck-ui-update-is-now-available-in-beta/

1666991140604.jpeg

Does anyone actually use big picture mode?

Default Steam interface for GameStream and gaming HTPC, I game at 2 other TVs myself with GameStream (Moonlight)/Big Picture mode via my SHIELD TV and Chromecast w/Google TV, I only really sit at the computer to play FPS games nowadays 99% of the time

Plus HDR is better on my TVs than my monitor

Latency is plenty good enough for 3rd person games (also gigabit wired every room via Moca)

Never on my HTPC setup. Wireless mouse and keyboard and regular interface for me.

You can also hook m&kb up to Shield TV and use that for GameStream just FYI, I just like using Xbox controllers for my 3rd person games, plus neater just having a controller at the TVs vs m&kb.

You can also hook m&kb up to Shield TV and use that for GameStream just FYI, I just like using Xbox controllers for my 3rd person games, plus neater just having a controller at the TVs vs m&kb.
It's a casual solution but not one I'm a fan of. There's nothing appealing to me about limiting my capabilities with a controller or adding any additional input lag to the chain. If you're not using the mouse and keyboard, you can hide it. It doesn't have to have permanent residence on your desk.

Having said that, it's convenient (i.e cheaper) to use a controller with the TV, particularly if you're game streaming.

Quality silent wireless m&kbs are like sub $30 these days. Can use my thigh or the couch as a mouse pad. Only thing big picture might be useful for is combining with auto HDR feature in windows 11.

Back