• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Static

icor1031

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 29, 2010
Messages
1,295
When no sounds are playing, I get static through my speakers. Sounds kind of like white noise.

I've used 2 sets of speakers and disabled all devices in recording.

Is my sound card bad?
 
What sound card / motherboard / power supply are you using? Are you running the audio cable by any noise sources such as a fluorescent light? How is the power in your area?
 
ABS Tagan ITZ 700W
X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
ASRock 880G Extreme3

Not near fluorescent, but I'm unsure what else could do it.
Power, I don't know...
 
Do you get the sounds when the speakers are not plugged into the sound card? (don't touch the metal plugs with your fingers, this can cause noise on the signal line too.) If the noise remains then we know it's something with your speakers and not your computer/card

If the noise goes away, try the onboard audio. If the noise goes away, then we know it's the Creative card. If the noise remains then we did deeper into the realm of EMI/RFI.

Somewhat off topic, but I had a super cheap pair of speakers that picked up radio waves once. The length of the power cord plus the built in cord between the speakers was just perfect to faintly catch some crappy music when the atmospheric conditions were just right. To prevent this, I wound the cords tight and used a detachable monitor cable choke (magnet).

Back on topic. What brand speakers?
 
Do you have the front pannel audio hooked up for the xfi? I vaguely remember having a problem with that.
 
Back
Top