STASIS Thermal blocks finally done!

Oh wow.

Looks like an incredibly well built GPU block, if I had a GeForce card I would consider getting it.

Where are the pics of the actual GPU part. I dont like the way he describes the design in how the gpu and the ram parts of the block are coupled together. Also... "a patented pinfin design" what in the world does a pinfin design even look like?

Also, I said it the last time and I'll say it again...what is the point of all that machining into the bottom of the base...looks nice but seems pointless to me, just wasting machining time and upping the cost of the block.

Dillusion said:
no clear tops. only black and white, its made of delrin.

I spose I'd take a black over a white then. I didn't read all the replies at the other tread... to long. Any info on a price?

to be honest, it doesnt look like a great waterblock.

of course, thats because he hasnt shown the portion that sits on the die. somehow i really doubt it will be very good. his patented "pinfin" design sounds too much like what coolermaster is using in their gpu blocks.

AQUA_VGA_ATI_01.jpg

BioPort said:
to be honest, it doesnt look like a great waterblock.

of course, thats because he hasnt shown the portion that sits on the die. somehow i really doubt it will be very good. his patented "pinfin" design sounds too much like what coolermaster is using in their gpu blocks.

Call me optimistic, but I think it will be good. My reason for this is simply because of the pure perfection that his air cooling products have been. They have been the best GPU air cooling money can buy. If he applies the same precision and skill to this block, than there is no reason why it shouldn't perform well. Here's to hoping
cheers.gif

It would be in their best interest to spend their $ and time making a kick-ass product, a sought after product which will sell itself... small businesses have to do this to survive... all of their other products have been really good from what I have read, so I have a feeling this one will perform well also... they seem to put a good deal of though and care into their products. I am curious to see the gpu core cooler and how that couples with the rest of the copper sink for the memory..

That coolermaster block is nothing like his 'pinfin' design. those Cm blocks are just air coolers with plexi around them, they suck ass.

Street MSRP of these should be just under the DD blocks.

Dillusion said:
That coolermaster block is nothing like his 'pinfin' design. those Cm blocks are just air coolers with plexi around them, they suck ass.

Street MSRP of these should be just under the DD blocks.

I assume your referring to the GPU+RAM DD coolers, nice to see that it is competitively priced, however I still want to see some more pictures. The inside of the top, and the GPU portion of the block to be specific.

Damn that's one sexy block :cool: I like the idea of using Delrin for the top, that's some tuff stuff.

yes, and fairly light also. :) (it's very similar to, or a type of Acetal, right? like what DD uses for it's maze gpu tops)

EDIT: here we go

"Acetal is the common name for a family of thermoplastics with the chemical name "PolyOxy-Methylene". Acetal is available in a general purpose copolymer grade, a homopolymer version (Delrin ®), and several filled Delrin ® grades. Acetal provides high strength and stiffness, enhanced dimensional stability, and is easy to machine. As a semi-crystalline material, acetal is characterized by a low coefficient of friction and good wear properties. "

http://www.boedeker.com/acetal_p.htm

Looks like it would perform okay but I'd ship it with a can of UV reactive spray paint of the customer's choice.

Sorry, but IMO the top looks terrible. If I didn't put windows in my cases to show off my investment I'd only care about performance... but I'm one of those odd ones who would sacrifice marginal performance for looks as well. The block looks too much like the salt licks I used to put out for the deer when I lived in the country.

Then again, what do I know?

Nice copper work anyway... looks like it may be a performance winner.

so uhm.... i WANT one? and uh, ima put whatever goes on my window on the top of the blocks? and uhm i been heari about this for a while? and im glad its doen? lets hear about pricing and possible forms of distribution and availability?

revenant said:
yes, and fairly light also. :) (it's very similar to, or a type of Acetal, right? like what DD uses for it's maze gpu tops)

EDIT: here we go

"Acetal is the common name for a family of thermoplastics with the chemical name "PolyOxy-Methylene". Acetal is available in a general purpose copolymer grade, a homopolymer version (Delrin ®), and several filled Delrin ® grades. Acetal provides high strength and stiffness, enhanced dimensional stability, and is easy to machine. As a semi-crystalline material, acetal is characterized by a low coefficient of friction and good wear properties. "

http://www.boedeker.com/acetal_p.htm

hey rev, delrin is whats on our storm and apogee blocks homie :D its pwn

Delrin is cheap and machines like buttah. Its a good choice. There is also virtually no danger of it reacting/degrading due to anything someone might put in their loop.

He should include lil holes so you can light it up with LEDs, a glowing blue icecube would look pretty cool. It should conduct light pretty well, depending on your LED brightness.

it should be available for pre-order soon. He will custom CNC them with however many pre-orders he gets. buystasis.com should have them up VERY soon (within the next week or so)

I am ready to buy two of them for my system as soon as I get a few more details: Price, and if its available for 1/2 inch tubes. Let us know when he starts taking pre-orders.

Dillusion : How about scoring us some pics of the actual core of the block, and the underside of the delrin. It looks to me like the water doesn't actually flow over the ram.

i can most likely get you guys some pics if you hold tight a few days, I can get in touch with Matt @ STASIS to get more info. What pics would you guys need?

Erasmus354 said:
Dillusion : How about scoring us some pics of the actual core of the block, and the underside of the delrin. It looks to me like the water doesn't actually flow over the ram.

I was thinking the same, from looking at the "blue" areas of the delrin image and then then copper parts (memory foot-print areas) it seemed like it was not going right over the memory..

anyways, yeah, I would love to see the coolant path and the gpu block.. :)

Ask him if they will be made for 1/2" fittings or will 1/2" line users be forced to adapt down to the 1/4" mentioned in other thread?

DocFaustus said:
Ask him if they will be made for 1/2" fittings or will 1/2" line users be forced to adapt down to the 1/4" mentioned in other thread?

That was the thread, 1/4" NPT. It is made for 3/8" and 1/2" fittings.

The measurement in pipe threads measures the radius, not the diameter.
Therefore, 1/4" NPT = 1/2" hole, and is usually used for any range of barbs from 1/2" down, and even has barbs available for the small bore crowd.

looks interesting to me. The chambers seem to outline an arrow shape.

I think all the machining on the bottom is to prevent the copper from shorting out or getting an odd mount on top of anything on the card. Like those CM ones pictured, though those look like they were cheaply pressed out instead of milled. I think getting water anywhere near the ram would cool it just fine for any circumstance. To me water not being over the ram is a bit of a non issue.

Usually pin fins are fins that don't go all the way across the surface... kind of like the diamond matrix of swiftech designs, though ppl tend to call them pins anyway. Maybe elongating the diamonds more would make them more fin like.

Something tells me they may not have buckled down a design yet for the gpu cooling portion. Im sure some major testing is being done.. and to release pictures of what may not be represented in the finished product (especially if it is not yet refined design) easily spreads some negativity that cannot be made back up when the product is in fact released.... even if the final product is a good design.

Pherret said:
Something tells me they may not have buckled down a design yet for the gpu cooling portion. Im sure some major testing is being done.. and to release pictures of what may not be represented in the finished product (especially if it is not yet refined design) easily spreads some negativity that cannot be made back up when the product is in fact released.... even if the final product is a good design.

They are supposedly a week away from what I gathered...so he should have the design finalized by now.

penguin said:
The measurement in ppe threads measures the radius, not the diameter.
Therefore, 1/4" NPT = 1/2" hole, and is usually used for any range of barbs from 1/2" down, and even has barbs available for the small bore crowd.

Thanks for the clarification on NPT fittings.

penguin said:
The measurement in pipe threads measures the radius, not the diameter.

Actually, if I remember correctly from my days of building potato guns and working on natural gas wells, the listed dimension is the diameter of the hole that goes through the peice using standard schedule 40 pipe. It just so happens that 1/4" npt has an OD of 1/2" (1/8" thick walls). 1" pipe, on the other hand, has an od of roughtly 1-1/4"

I'm glad to see my new parts have generated some interest. :)

For starters, the first batch of parts will be ready this coming Wednesday (18th). As each one is hand assembled, finished and pressure tested it will take some time for production to get up to speed.

To address some individual points I noticed in the thread:

-As was clarified by penguin, 1/4" NPT size holes are 7/16" (1/2" once tapped). This is the most common size/thread pattern and allows the use of any number of barbs.

-Unlike the convoluted flow paths of other full coverage waterblocks, the NVx1 uses a highly efficient, low pressure drop symmetrical design that is almost organic in nature. The copper base is an extremely effective conductor of heat, and readily dissipates it accross the small distance needed to encounter coolant flow. Further enhancing the transfer are the SlipStream dimples that are machined along the course of the water channels.

-While the dimpled copper base is tasked with cooling the ram, the GPU is cooled by a dedicated, cold forged copper heatsink. The base is lapped to 5 microns, and has 92 individual round pins (12mm tall) protruding from it. It is a one piece forging to maximize performance.

I'll post some more pictures once I get the chance. Final specs and such will posted as well. Now I've got to get back to work. :D

Here's one of the earlier engineering samples that I took a picture of, though the principle remains the same, the finish has improved. :cool:

Hopefully this clarifies the nature of the pin fin array and dimple patterns referred to.

Neptune%20NVx1ES%2001.jpg

Hooray!

I like how you seemed to pay close attention to maximizing the flow characteristcs of the block. I agree that the water doesn't need to flow directly over the ram. I am not sure if you can really call that a pin fin array...seems more like just a pin array ;) . Anyways, it seems really similar to the MCW6000 design of a pin array, which we all know is a very nice design, especially for low resistance. GPU's dont run as hot as processors, so they dont need something crazy like impingement.

It looks like you have thought about a lot of the tradeoffs in designing a waterblock (restriction vs. performance etc...). Hopefully they will perform well and we can have another competitor to the market.

I REALLY like it. A+ :D
If I had a 6800 / 7800, I would buy one. Any chance for a 5900XT version? ;)

shit i want one. coolor for my 68gt's, lower profile and RAM cooling (cuz that whole chipset area is so hot cuz of the ram!!!)

Back