StarWars Battlefront performance Preview

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by Stoly, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

Guru3d has a performance preview with top-mid level cards

Impressive AMD results, mainly the 290x/290 besting the GTX980/GTX970 respectively.

And the Fury X about as fast as a 980Ti. If only it was the same in more games...

2. Avalanche

Avalanche Pendleton - Learn It, Live It, Know It

Wouldn't be surprised if NVIDIA had a driver update around launch that fixes this.

3. wantapple

wantapple Gawd

fixes what?

4. Zion Halcyon

Zion Halcyon 2[H]4U

His video card prejudices.

5. DeadSkull

DeadSkull [H]ardness Supreme

Glad to see some competition in popular games again.

6. ssnyder28

ssnyder28 2[H]4U

lmao

7. Quix

Quix 2[H]4U

Those graphics look really amazing, although it looks like my 2 280xs should be able to manage 1080p reasonably well. It's been a long time since I've seen screenshots and wanted to buy a game just because of how it looks!

Still waiting for reviews though. Oh wait, they're running an open beta. I'm getting in on that action for sure.

8. Yakk

Yakk [H]ardness Supreme

Yup, I'm running 2x 280x cards also which the Frostbyte engine usually can run both at 100% in Crossfire. Eager to try this one!

9. F.E.A.R.

F.E.A.R. [H]ard|Gawd

Good one bro. lol

10. TaintedSquirrel

TaintedSquirrel [H]ardForum Junkie

11. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

12. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

13. Nauseous

Nauseous Gawd

14. Bankie

Bankie [H]ard|Gawd

Looks like my old 4GB 670 should be around 50fps at 1080p with max settings. I've been itching to upgrade to a 970/980 but I think I can hang until Pascal.

15. Yakk

Yakk [H]ardness Supreme

16. HybridHB

HybridHB [H]ard|Gawd

17. TaintedSquirrel

The original post was referring to the game's official release date (November-something). As for "fixing" the game, he's probably comparing it to BF4's performance. No doubt AMD & EA have spent the last 2 years optimizing GCN to the limits for this game, it clearly shows in the benchmarks.

It's too bad they only use AMD GPUs over there at EA, otherwise we might have got some Maxwell optimizations. Nvidia needs to work on their outreach program! :p

18. cvinh

cvinh [H]ard|Gawd

☐ Not REKT ☑ REKT

Anyhoo my SLI 970's should do over 60 fps consistently at 1440p. Not too worried.

19. Flopper

Flopper [H]ard|Gawd

of course it is, amd is the technologial superior hardware for gaming.:D

20. Yakk

Yakk [H]ardness Supreme

Well, to be fair Johan Andersson was on a nvidia panel presentation a couple years ago so I'm sure nvidia is working with them plenty also. Wouldn't be surprised if the engine was pretty highly optimized all around. Maybe the additional effects are more compute heavy which would favor AMD such as Directcompute.

21. defaultluser

defaultluser [H]ardForum Junkie

Ohes noes, my GTX 960 is slower than the AMD equivalent in a beta! It's the end of the world as we know it! They'll optimize the drivers shortly, just like they did with Battlefield 4.

Until then, I'm fine. Last time I checked 46fps all ultra was plenty playable.

22. TaintedSquirrel

Boycott EA. We demand unbiased developers in the PC gaming industry, this is unacceptable.
    AMD favoritism must end.

23. Brent_Justice

Brent_Justice Moderator

Frostbite 3 engine, not surprised, that engine is highly optimized by now.

24. Zorlag

Zorlag Limp Gawd

960 gets trashed pretty hard. :eek:

Otherwise, most of the stuff should run this title quite well.

25. Cool Vibrations

Cool Vibrations Gawd

oh man, the setup was flawless... well done, you two.

/applaud

26. SpongeBob

SpongeBob The Contraceptive Under the Sea

Isn't this game when you boil it down bf4 with blasters and light sabers? I would think it would perform similarly.

27. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

Looks a lot better than BF4 to me. Worlds look more detailed. Well it is Star Wars so maybe I saw it through rose colored glasses when I played the Alpha awhile ago.

28. DPI

DPI Nitpick Police

Pretty easy to OC a 960 as well, I haven't met one that didn't do at least 1500MHz

29. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

OCing might help average a bit but AMD's frame times appear to be much more consistent. That's what I really care about - buttery smooth.

30. defaultluser

Oh, that's no issue. Mine's overclocked quite happily to 1628. So if those benchmarks use stock speeds, then the actual game should play at 60 fps on my card :D

And I wasn't kidding when I said the previous Battlefield game had massive AMD optimization on-release:

http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page3.html

[​IMG]

Is that a lowly HD 7870 rolling all over the GTX 670, even though the card is 20% faster in almost every other game? Why yes!

Is that a R9 290X rolling all over the Titan, a card that normally matches it? why, yes!

Performance has increased about 35% for the GTX 770, and 45% for the GTX 760 since then, while AMD has improved about 20%:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_950_Xtreme_Gaming/10.html

[​IMG]

I expect something similar from this game. AMD gets the early start on optimizations, then the difference disappears after a couple months.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  31. plexx

plexx n00b

over time AMD improves performance more than nVidia does through drivers, there was a % increase in performance over time chart somewhere a while back that showed AMD about 10% higher performance gain on average over time than nVidia from time of release.

32. PRIME1

PRIME1 2[H]4U

I guess when you are in as rough a spot as AMD, you will take any crumb tossed your way. Even if it's just in benchmarks from unreleased games. As long as those benchmarks are from "fair" sites of course.

33. TaintedSquirrel

Everybody's in a fuss over DX12, so the Battlefront benchmarks are getting more play. I remember the initial BF4 benchmarks but at the time nobody really cared because it was an AMD game in the first place.

No you're confused, Nvidia cripples drivers over time.

Kinda makes me wonder what changed from BF4 to Battlefront to cause Nvidia to lose so much performance or vice versa.

34. defaultluser

Two years of engine refinement, perhaps?

You can be sure they have not been standing still. This is probably more like a Frostbite 3.5 than the 3.0 that debuted on BF4. Would also explain why cards like the 285 that can almost play BF4 at 1440p smoothly are stuck at 1080p.

This is as-opposed to Battlefield Hardline, which was released only as year after, and felt like an expansion.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  35. Lorien

Lorien [H]ardness Supreme

Any crossfire numbers? About to download this and I'll give it a whirl

36. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ard as it Gets

A game built on an engine made in partnership with AMD is favoring AMD hardware over Nvidia...shocking! :D

37. ccityinstaller

ccityinstaller [H]ardness Supreme

Can anyone that is playing the Beta tell me if you can change that insanely narrow 75 degree FoV to something more reasonable like 90~100? I get motion sick if I use such a narrow FoV :(..

38. jackstar7

jackstar7 Gawd

If this is the only game you play, then it looks like AMD is great bang for buck.

I'm on a 980ti, but I don't begrudge anyone for getting good performance from AMD cards... weirdly it doesn't affect me at all.

39. madgun

madgun [H]ard|Gawd

Why don't the reviewers use non-reference cards for main reviews. I don't see many people on this forum using a reference 980 GTX Ti.

40. Araxie

Araxie [H]ardness Supreme

because then they have to test every non-reference card out there in the market for every product, they should and have to use only reference cards to give REFERENCE numbers for everyone. If not then we will have things like "why are you guys so biased? using a classified 980TI just to inflate numbers and make the Fury X look worse" "why using an Asus Strix 970? it will make the 290 look worse with inflated numbers, god damn biased nvidia paid sites". reference cards allow reference numbers and reference performance, you have any aftermarket cooled card? great you will receive much better numbers than the game review isn't that good?.