Startup Resolution issues...

uncle poop

n00b
Finally after a long while I built a gaming rig. But I have been having an issue I can't figure out. When I start the puter I'll get one random monitor working and it's at a very poor resolution, something like 900x400 or some shizz like that.

A little about the rig, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 MB, Gigabyte Aorus RTX2080 Extreme, i7-9700k, 16gb GSkill Trident Z's run by Windows 10 Pro 64bit on a Samsung 970 M.2 1tb. I have 2 monitors an older Asus 24" and an Acer Predator 31.5 165hz monitor.

I have tried resetting the resolution settings in the system when it happens but that does not help, Nvidia is not an option when changing. It also take a couple of restarts to get the system working right. It is getting annoying at this point and I"m at a loss. I have reset drivers to no avail. I'm not sure what else to try. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I finally had some time to check the monitors by themselves. Same issue, I start up the monitor starts in the wrong resolution then I get a cute little tone and it resets to the right resolution. One thing I just noticed is Nvidia control panel does not show up when I right click the screen. Think I'm going to uninstall and reinstall it and see what happens. Thank you for the help so far.

Acer brand is notorious for weird problems. I avoid it like the plague. They're cheap but come at a cost.

How are the monitors connected? (Hdmi, dp, adapters to...)

Edit: I ask because cheap cables and adapters can sometimes cause the pc to not detect the display properly. Maybe I shouldn't say cheap, but cheap are prone to breaking more easily. I have seen a very similar issue and it was due to a faulty dp>hdmi adapter.

If you do not see NV on right click, I would run through display driver uninstaller and install again.

Last edited:
Acer brand is notorious for weird problems. I avoid it like the plague. They're cheap but come at a cost.
He is totally describing an nvidia DRIVER issue lol;) But of course its the display. Never had one issue with my acer display!

He is totally describing an nvidia DRIVER issue lol;) But of course its the display. Never had one issue with my acer display!
Oh but so many others have. Not only with displays but computers also.

Thank you all for the responses. Sorry I've been busy with work. I did an uninstall and install of the Nvidia drivers, seems to have worked for now we'll see how it goes from here.

Back