Starting my first build ever today

darkhunter139

Supreme [H]ardness
And I am scared to death of static killing my motherboard or some other part.

What is the best thing I can do to help avoid this? I dont have a static band or anything so thats not an option.

Also what is the best order to go in? I was going to put the processor, CPU fan and ram into the motherboard before I secure the motherboard into the case. Is this a good idea?

The HSF I got is supposedly challenging to put in so I want to get that on before I pop the motherboard in there

1. build on concrete, linoleum, or hardwood rather than carpet if you can
2. install the PSU first and plug it in to the wall, but don't connect any of the internal connectors. This will ground the case and make it less likely that you kill something.
3. If you're that freaked out by the potential for static... take your socks and shoes off while your build. ;)

If your HSF uses a backplate make sure you install it before putting the board in the case or you'll have wasted a lot of time.

my HSF has push pins not screws.

And I just install the PSU and flip the PSU switch on but dont plug it in to anything?

If you are scared of the static electricity, just touch with your finger any metal part inside of the case (any of the sides or bottom), I've heard touching the PSU once will do the trick, its safe to touch the PSU if its plugged into the wall (ground) but make sure its switched off, so always build with your socks off!

Dont worry about static, i must have built over 200 machines and never had problems with it, just make sure you are not working on a carpeted floor with socks on ;), also like another poster said install the psu first and plug it into the mains, thats as good as a antistatic wristband if you touch the case every couple of mins.

Think I will have to mess with the BIOS at all after I get everything put together? And will I need to install all the drivers into windows once I get that installed? (I have windows 64 bit)

Static is overhyped, just touch the case after the PSU in installed and plugged in to let out the evil demons. As silent said, work on a concrete floor.

My scratch builds always start the same way.
My build always starts with PSU into case.
On the MB box,outside the case, place the MB on the anti-static bag or sleeve it came in.
Mount the CPU and HSF.
Put in the RAM.
Put in the video card.
Plug in the card to the monitor and the PSU to the appropiate MB connectors.
Either jump the on switch or attach the case switch to the MB front panel.
POST up the barebones, if it posts you're good to install into the case.
Now intstall each component other that the barebones one at a time, POST-ing after each. ( all this POST-ing assures you that you have no errors in install before you load the OS) this includes USB and firewire, etc connectors.
Now that all the components are installed, install the OS of your choice.

After the OS is installed you will need to installl all the appropiate drivers. Generally: (in this order) chipset,ethernet,GPU and finally sound. I usually use another computer to download all the pertainent drivers into one nice little folder on a thumb drive, then transfer to the HDD and load from there.
Some BIOS adjustments or even upgrades may need to be made depending on your choice of components and OC desires.
Also remember, your motherboard manual is your friend. You should read it from front to back BEFORE you start to learn the nuiances of your board, not after you have done some knucklehead thing and now the whole install is in the case and FUBAR'D and you are frustrated.

Can I just use the CD that comes with my motherboard to install all those?

And I need to boot after I install each component? Like hard drive ect???

All the components should be installed before the first boot.

The drivers on the CD will work but they are likely outdated, so get the latest ones from the net if you can.

The drivers on the CD will work but they are likely outdated, so get the latest ones from the net if you can.

EDIT:

Ok so I can just throw all the drivers onto a flash drive and im set?

Should I get a new one for my video card as well?

...what do you mean? You should have, at very least:
-motherboard
-CPU
-HSF
-PSU
-RAM
-graphics card
-hard drive
-optical drive (CDRW/DVDRW)
-cables for everything
-case to put it in

Gotta install all that before stating the machine for the first time.

I disagree.
I think you should boot after EACH component is plugged in, that way if the comp booted before and now after you plugged in the sound card, it doesnt; you narrow the search. It only adds a few minutes. All you do is POST the comp to the splash screen.....it cant go any further until the OS is installed anyway. Excuse me if I am using "BOOT" and "POST" interchangably, that may have gotten confusing.

The MB disc is only for the MB, it may include on-board sound drivers and some free crap but probably wont be up to date. It does not include the GPU drivers.

-motherboard
-CPU
-HSF
-PSU
-RAM
-graphics card
-hard drive
-cables for everything
-case to put it in

Ok so I power on my machine. Install vista first right?

Then about how many drivers am I going to need to install?

Just get everything installed into the case correctly. Then install Vista and use your motherboard's driver disk to install the network drivers. Then go to each manufacturer's site and get the newest drivers you can find. Also, while Vista probably won't be able to pull everything, it should be able to find drivers for every major component in your PC except video drivers. Get those from ATI/ nVidia.

-motherboard
-CPU
-HSF
-PSU
-RAM
-graphics card
-hard drive
-cables for everything
-case to put it in

I disagree with putting them all in the case before you start it up for the first time. I put new machines together outside the case so that if anything's DOA I don't have to bother unscrewing anything to take something out. I use a LARGE mouse pad for anti-static :D

i just use lots of anti static bags, glued together :D

Some say the grayish ones work on the Faraday cage principle and so may actually be slightly conductive on the outside... but I don't know that I believe it, and I've certainly never had problems, but, eh. Just throwing it out there.

I would read up on this first..

I agree. Read your motherboard manual.
I also dont think you are reading what we are writing.
I listed the basic driver types you'll need, we cant be specific; because each MB and build are different.
But...... a short list:
chipset(on the MB) commonly referred to as motherboard drivers
ethernet
graphics
sound
printers
other accessories
USB(but generally included in the OS)

I think I am good to go. I will be installing shortly, thanks.

There is nothing else really to read up on.

is it ok to lay the case on its side while installing everything? About to start install now

No......you must stand the case upright and you have to lay on your side.:eek:

Yes. As long as the MB and PSU are secured, you can do anything with the case position you like.

i love the fact that it needs atleast 7 people to give the same answer :p

dont be afraid to push it hard, but that heatsink clips on quite easily. turn the tab the other way.

-motherboard
-CPU
-HSF
-PSU
-RAM
-graphics card
-hard drive
-cables for everything
-case to put it in

Actually, I don't put in any hard drives until I know the computer works; optical drives are much cheaper to replace and don't have any data to lose if something goes majorly wrong (not that anything has with me, but better safe than sorry). I make sure the computer can boot up with Ubuntu or Knoppix or some other Linux live CD first. It's a good test to make sure everything is working, and as a bonus lspci on the command-line can verify that all the hardware can be accessed, and thus has been installed correctly. If you're really paranoid (or just impatient), you can go without the optical drive on first boot too; just boot from a USB flash drive or even just go into the BIOS and make sure everything looks OK. I wouldn't go that far myself, but if you're really concerned (or impatient to see it run), you certainly can do that.

I cant get this damn clip on the freexzer pro 7 i n

Read the fucking instructions, they're in the package with the CPU, the MB or the FreezerPro7 itself..........oh yeah, but you said there was nothing left to read......this is getting really silly..........:rolleyes:
Make sure the arrows on the push-pin are facing the correct way for installation. Stabalize the MB. Use the diagonal technique, applying pressure to opposite corners.........the pins click when they are seated correctly, repeat.........oh yeah, dont forget to plug in the CPU fan on the MB header marked "CPU"......but then again you read that already, right.

So............do we flip the PSU switch on or off when we start building?

Switched off! :eek: You want it plugged in so the case is grounded, but switched physically off so there will be no current going through things while you're putting the rest of the components in.

Switched off! :eek: You want it plugged in so the case is grounded, but switched physically off so there will be no current going through things while you're putting the rest of the components in.

Granted, shouldn't really matter so long as you don't plug in the 24pin ATX power connector... but yeah, off to be safe.

Ok now I have another stupid question

Ok the power LED goes into the atx4p1 slot right? Then something from the PSU goes in on top of that.

Also there are tons of 4 slot things on the PSU which one goes in there? And there are like 2 or 3 plugs on each wire strand of the PSU do I leave the ends unconnected in the case?

Dude............
You are kidding around, right???
These questions get more ridiculous all the time, and show not even one attempt to ask intelligent well thought out questions.
I think you are doing this to get some sort of jollies off......I hope I'm not the only one.

Every question you've asked can be found by going page by page in your MB manual.

This is BS, I call shens. If you arent dicking around, be sincere for a minute.

Back