Starting my first build ever today

Your hard drive fluid needs to be filled to full. If that doesn't work buy a dell.

Ok no seriously. Take your computer to a local computer store and have them build it for you. Some things you can learn with by trial and error and, well obviously this isn't one of them for you.

RMA the hard drive.
In the mean time go to BestBuy or somewhere like that and buy a small,cheap 80 GB SATA HDD and get yourself up and running......you can always use that as the boot drive and put all your data on the RMA'd drive......or buy a 250 GB HDD at BB, you'll just be out those bucks but you'll be up and running.

Did you plug the HDD into the same SATA port or a different one??? Maybe the port is bad and another will do the trick.

So Ubuntu won't install neither? Go to a local store and buy a HDD, if it works then you know it's your current one. In that case, rma it and return the hdd you bought.

I've noticed in the 7 pages of this thread you've failed to thank all of the people trying to help you even once. Perhaps karma fried your HDD? ;)

Sorry I am really grateful everyone is helping me out here. I was up almost all night last night trying to fix this.

But yeah thanks so much to everyone that is helping me

Your hard drive fluid needs to be filled to full. If that doesn't work buy a dell.

Ok no seriously. Take your computer to a local computer store and have them build it for you. Some things you can learn with by trial and error and, well obviously this isn't one of them for you.

Im not giving up after two days....

But yeah I am going to try a differnt disc drive right now just to make sure that isnt it if that still fail I will go pick up a hard drive tomorrow

Maybe a few extra sata cables to just to make sure they are ok

Sorry I am really grateful everyone is helping me out here. I was up almost all night last night trying to fix this.

But yeah thanks so much to everyone that is helping me

I won't say you're welcome because I didn't help in any way. You're thread has been very entertaining and I was dishing just dishing you crap in fun.

The people in this forum have been very helpful to me in the past and the replies come fast and furious, so it's nice to give them props here and there (but not too much lest they come to expect it). :D

I won't say you're welcome because I didn't help in any way. You're thread has been very entertaining and I was dishing just dishing you crap in fun.

The people in this forum have been very helpful to me in the past and the replies come fast and furious, so it's nice to give them props here and there (but not too much lest they come to expect it). :D

No problem lol. I really hope the hard drive fixes it. I still dont understand why it doesnt go to the POST screen after I re arrange the boot settings. I doubt that is really a problem though correct?

Geez, what a horror show. I have had issues with builds and I am an experienced builder. I am the poster boy for Murphy's Law. I think your motherboard is jacked. I would flash the BIOS, and start over.

But by the way, CONGRATS ON BREAKING YOUR CHERRY!:D

Take this as a learning experience though, you are learning a lot.

Geez, what a horror show. I have had issues with builds and I am an experienced builder. I am the poster boy for Murphy's Law. I think your motherboard is jacked. I would flash the BIOS, and start over.

But by the way, CONGRATS ON BREAKING YOUR CHERRY!:D

Take this as a learning experience though, you are learning a lot.

How do I flash the bios? And then would i need to take everything out and put it back in or what?

And I just tried installing linux one more time for the hell of it and it brought me to some screen that said running in low graphics mode video card driver could not be detected or something along those lines. Then it brought me to a command screen but I was lost after that.

Also I am running the memory test that was on the linux CD will that help at all?

How do I flash the bios? And then would i need to take everything out and put it back in or what?

Flashing the BIOS doesn't have anything to do with replacing hardware. You can see what a BIOS is here. It's basically the lowest layer in between the hardware and the OS. You can get the new BIOS file here.

Unfortunately, you will have a bit of problem flashing the BIOS. You need to either (a) do it in DOS on the command-line, or (b) do it within Windows. Flashing the BIOS from within Windows isn't recommended anyway, especially for your board (seen lots of people complain about bad flashes), but you can't do it anyway as you don't have Windows loaded anyway. So you'll need to do it from DOS.

The easiest way would be if you had a floppy drive (which you still could get; they tend to run around $10, even at local non-big-box computer stores). Then you just format it as bootable and put the BIOS file on it, and follow the instructions on abit's website.

If you won't or can't get a floppy, you'll have to look into making a USB flash drive bootable, and putting the BIOS file on it, then doing the same thing. Unfortinately, making the flash drive bootable is not as easy as using a floppy. I've heard that the HP utility is the easiest way, but I have never tried it myself so I can't vouch for it. Use it on a flash drive whose contents you don't mind erasing, obviously.

And yes, running the memory test will help; if you can run it for a couple hours without any errors, we know that your RAM is alright.

its testing my processor out too so we can rule that out then too right?

And I am going to go to staples tomorrow and pick up a hard drive, ill try and get a floppy drive too if they have them. If I cant find a floppy drive do ou think I should try and get a USB flash drive and make it bootable? What size drive should I get?

It doesn't test your processor, but those are very, very unlikely to go bad randomly or be bad from the start. There are ways to test it, but you need to be inside an OS to do it, and most easy-to-use tools to do so are in Windows, so we'll just have to assume that your processor is OK for now.

BIOS files are small. Keep in mind that they fit on a 1.44 MB floppy disk. (Make sure to pick up some disks too if you do pick up a drive!) So even a cheapy 256MB flash drive will work for BIOS flashing purposes.

One other thing to check is which BIOS file you have currently. It should be on the POST screen somewhere, and be a number between 10 and 15, inclusive. As you just got the motherboard, it's theoretically possible that you already have the latest BIOS that exists now, so might as well see before we go through the trouble of flashing it.

It doesn't test your processor, but those are very, very unlikely to go bad randomly or be bad from the start. There are ways to test it, but you need to be inside an OS to do it, and most easy-to-use tools to do so are in Windows, so we'll just have to assume that your processor is OK for now.

BIOS files are small. Keep in mind that they fit on a 1.44 MB floppy disk. (Make sure to pick up some disks too if you do pick up a drive!) So even a cheapy 256MB flash drive will work for BIOS flashing purposes.

Ok dude thanks. I guess I will let this memory test keep going for a while and then head over to staples in the morning. I need a break from all this tonight I dont want to do anything stupid.

One other thing to check is which BIOS file you have currently. It should be on the POST screen somewhere, and be a number between 10 and 15, inclusive. As you just got the motherboard, it's theoretically possible that you already have the latest BIOS that exists now, so might as well see before we go through the trouble of flashing it.

I cant even get to the post screen anymore. After I messed with the bios it would not work anymore it just goes right to the boot screen. It brought me to the post screen after I took everything out and put it back in though (which part would i need to take out again to make it do this again? I dont feel like taking the processor out again the HSF is a pain to get back in

I cant even get to the post screen anymore. After I messed with the bios it would not work anymore it just goes right to the boot screen. It brought me to the post screen after I took everything out and put it back in though (which part would i need to take out again to make it do this again? I dont feel like taking the processor out again the HSF is a pain to get back in

Oh well, might as well just flash at this point anyway; doubt it will screw things up more than they currently are. ;) (As long as the power doesn't go out during the flash or something.)

Oh well, might as well just flash at this point anyway; doubt it will screw things up more than they currently are. ;) (As long as the power doesn't go out during the flash or something.)

Ok ill try the new hard drive before I flash though

and i just thought of soemething. I have a floppy drive on my old PC I can just use that right

Indeed, floppy drive technology hasn't changed in decades. As long as it's a working 3.5" floppy drive that's not so incredibly old that it can't handle 1.44 MB disks (and that would have to be old indeed, as in pre-1987), it should work just fine. You should probably make the floppy bootable, get the requisite files from abit's website, and copy them to the now-bootable floppy in the old computer, and then move the drive to the new computer to make things easier for yourself.

Ok sounds good. Im gonna try the new hard drive then ill flash the bios

And I dont think I have the newest version of the board because it still does that reboot thing when I turn it on

My thoughts exactly. At this point it couldn't hurt.

memory test has been going for a while and it has already has one "pass" I will let it get up to two or three just to be safe but I think the ram is fine

OP i think this is going too far now, you have needed help for every single step in building you machine, and you cant do basic process of elimination without help. I think you should spend some time using google how to flash the bios, how to do memtest etc becuase this thread is 8 pages long and people are still telling you how to turn on the computer.
/rant

OP i think this is going too far now, you have needed help for every single step in building you machine, and you cant do basic process of elimination without help. I think you should spend some time using google how to flash the bios, how to do memtest etc becuase this thread is 8 pages long and people are still telling you how to turn on the computer.
/rant

I have already done a memory test, no one is telling me how to turn on the computer and I figure that you guys know better then me what kind of things I should try first. Plenty of people have been nice helping me out. I dont see what else you want me to do. When I google something 50 million different things come up and you never know if its reliable info. This way I know I am getting good stuff.

Please wait whle windows prepares to start for the first time...

Woohoooo I love you all even everyone that insulted me saying that I screwed up. It was a faulty hard drive nothing I can do about that. Thank you guys so much you have been an amazing help. I am so glad I found these forums. No hard feeling to anyone that did insult me I realize half my post were really stupid but I was just freaking out.

Thanks again

espcially farfromhome and silent circuit who posted in here a ton and really helped me out.

Heh you know I cant leave without a few more questions :)

Therei s a 4px1 power input on my motherboard it says to it is used to power PCI - E devices. My video card is plugged directly into the PSU and it is the only PCI - E device I have. Can I leave that unplugged?

Therei s a 4px1 power input on my motherboard it says to it is used to power PCI - E devices. My video card is plugged directly into the PSU and it is the only PCI - E device I have. Can I leave that unplugged?

You should be able to; that's to provide more power to your second PCI-E graphics slot, and you'll notice that only on dual-GPU boards if you cruise NewEgg a bit.

Thanks again

espcially farfromhome and silent circuit who posted in here a ton and really helped me out.

Glad to help. :) Let's hope that you don't get any bad components next time you build a computer; not sure if there is enough forum fluid to handle all these posts in rapid succession another time. ;)

Alright :)

Now I need to figure out how to install all these drivers. For some reason my belkin PCI card wont install correctly.

On the MB box,outside the case, place the MB on the anti-static bag or sleeve it came in.

POST up the barebones, if it posts you're good to install into the case.

It won't POST with that antistatic bag mobo lays on :p

Heh you know I cant leave without a few more questions :)

If that is a molex plug.....an oblong (not square) with 4 prongs/connectors, it would be for use with dual video cards, not needed for a single card.

Glad this was just a HDD issue. But you learned a bunch about trouble-shooting.

If that is a molex plug.....an oblong (not square) with 4 prongs/connectors, it would be for use with dual video cards, not needed for a single card.

Glad this was just a HDD issue. But you learned a bunch about trouble-shooting.

I am posting this from my new PC.

And yeah I learned a ton building this PC. Hopefully my next goes smoother.

Back