Starlink (Generation 2) testing

Thank you for the first hand-account on the snow there in CA. I heard about this, but though those were just mistakes in predictions as it sounded way off the charts. But it sounds like it was the real deal. :( Hopefully power doesn't stay off too long as that's not fun when it's cold outside.

In my case the power was out for about 16 hours and then finally came back on.

20230224_113028.jpg

how'd that work out? does it just warm the dish and the snow slides off?

On mine, the snow melt feature was set to "Automatic" since that is the default setting. I checked it before the power went out since it had already been snowing quite a bit at that point. It showed that it was already "heating", but there was nearly full signal loss. Checking the antenna showed that there was 2-3" of snow built up on top of it. I'm not sure if there is a lag-time before the snow-melt feature turns on or if it was simply overwhelmed by the amount of snow. Either way, I simply took a squeegee and wiped the snow off, and it seemed to be able to keep-up with melting the snow at that point. It would have been annoying if it had been mounted high on the roof or something though. My advice would be if you know that you are about to get a ton of snow, set the snow-melt setting from "Automatic" to "pre-heat" first.

That's a good chunk of snow! It looks nice and packable so hopefully you were able to enjoy making a few snowballs at least. :)

Getting ready to order Starlink for RV. Need to stay hooked up when traveling.

Yeah, it's crazy. Between about 6:30pm and 11pm or so, I drop down to ~10mbps download and ~2-3mbps upload. Still better than the alternative, especially when it matters for me (work hours), but, hopefully they can improve things this year.
Supposedly FTTH rolls through this area in "late 2024", so, might not be long on this service.

Anyone know if gen 1 units are available for purchase still or if a gen 3 is coming soon? We are looking at selling now while prices are at all time high and building on our very rural property but everyone i know that has a gen 2 is having problems while all the gen 1’s are running fine with better speeds

Anyone know if gen 1 units are available for purchase still or if a gen 3 is coming soon? We are looking at selling now while prices are at all time high and building on our very rural property but everyone i know that has a gen 2 is having problems while all the gen 1’s are running fine with better speeds
Not sure what you mean by Gen 2 or Gen 3. By all accounts, everyone gets Gen 3 now when they order, but, there's no official designation from SpaceX on what those are, they're just terms the community loosely uses. There also isn't, super broadly speaking, a problem with Gen 2 or Gen 3 dishy... just the overall issue with oversubscription, which some folks conflate with Gen 2/3 issues. Overall speeds are still way lower than where they were even a year ago... hopefully they can increase launch cadences and get the new sats launching to help that, but I'm not holding my breath on either of those things (it's still faster than DSL, but it's so variable as to be extremely annoying and unreliable. Also only about 99.2% uptime with 0 obstruction, out here in rural WA).

Also to answer the question, no, you can't buy older dish designs directly from SpaceX. You may be able to get one on the used market, but, I have no idea what activation of that (if it's even possible) looks like.

Not sure what you mean by Gen 2 or Gen 3. By all accounts, everyone gets Gen 3 now when they order, but, there's no official designation from SpaceX on what those are, they're just terms the community loosely uses. There also isn't, super broadly speaking, a problem with Gen 2 or Gen 3 dishy... just the overall issue with oversubscription, which some folks conflate with Gen 2/3 issues. Overall speeds are still way lower than where they were even a year ago... hopefully they can increase launch cadences and get the new sats launching to help that, but I'm not holding my breath on either of those things (it's still faster than DSL, but it's so variable as to be extremely annoying and unreliable. Also only about 99.2% uptime with 0 obstruction, out here in rural WA).
My first hand experience is i have 2 friends 800 ft apart one has the first generation and the other has the new one, both on same “package” so to speak. 1st gen gets 200D/20U consistently while the new one barely hits 88 down and has higher ping. Starlink has told him theres nothing that can be done.

You cant transfer equipment i tried to buy a 1st gen from a family member when fiber went through their area.

My first hand experience is i have 2 friends 800 ft apart one has the first generation and the other has the new one, both on same “package” so to speak. 1st gen gets 200D/20U consistently while the new one barely hits 88 down and has higher ping. Starlink has told him theres nothing that can be done.

You cant transfer equipment i tried to buy a 1st gen from a family member when fiber went through their area.
If they're only hitting 88Mbps down during non-peak hours, they have something wrong or obstructions. I average 114Mb/s down and 12Mb/s, which is inclusive of the dismal peak-time performance. If I exclude that, it's 150Mb/s down and 14Mb/s up. Average ping holds steady at ~46ms. I run a ping every 5 seconds, and speedtest every 30 minutes and log all the data to influxDB.
Again not sure what you're calling "Gen 1" and "Gen 2". There's at least 4 revisions of dishy out there. I have the first release of the rectangle one, not the updated (current) one.

If they're only hitting 88Mbps down during non-peak hours, they have something wrong or obstructions. I average 114Mb/s down and 12Mb/s, which is inclusive of the dismal peak-time performance. If I exclude that, it's 150Mb/s down and 14Mb/s up. Average ping holds steady at ~46ms. I run a ping every 5 seconds, and speedtest every 30 minutes and log all the data to influxDB.
Again not sure what you're calling "Gen 1" and "Gen 2". There's at least 4 revisions of dishy out there. I have the first release of the rectangle one, not the updated (current) one.
The first release with the circular dish is what i and most of the groups refer to as gen 1.

Im not sure if location matters but since they have offered $199 startup here in eastern canada speeds have been dropping weekly even on priority package.

Back