Stargate Franchise To Be Rebooted

from what I understood, they will remake the first movie then do the second and third. they will not be in the same tone as sg1 they will be serious scifi like the original movie and it will be an all new cast. movie tech has come a long way so it will look even better. I'm looking forward to what they can do but I don't expect any thing like sg1.

My favorite SG1 was when they were in that time loop, like Groundhog day. I lamo. Teeing golf balls into the Stargate ect, lol. I didn't think the movie was that great and i didn't pay attention to the series till it was years into it already, but def one of the best tv shows ever.

Unfortunately for those who would love to see this as a continuation of the SG-1 and Atlantis universe that is not what this would be. As someone already mentioned, it's likely they would reboot the first movie and hope it was successful enough for two sequels. Emmerich has been trying for years to reboot Stargate as if none of the series ever happened. He may have been the original creator but I think it's a huge mistake. The popularity and pervasiveness of SG-1 and Atlantis are too large to make a reboot successful at this time and maybe even never.

My opinion on SG-1 is that it was great. Oddly enough, I didn't like it when it first came out. It was mostly because I wanted the original characters to continue and at first Richard Dean Anderson didn't do it for me. Later on I went back and rewatched the first season and I was completely and totally hooked. There were quite a few differences between the movie and the series but the changes made were done very well and in many cases were better than the original ideas. They also did a great job with the casting and an amazing job with regards to Jackson. They didn't have James Spader but Michael Shanks was the perfect choice to replace Spader. I also think the change from Kurt Russel to RDA was a good choice since the character underwent a lot of changes between the end of the movie and the beginning of the show. SG-1 is simply one of my favorite shows.

I also really enjoyed Atlantis. Again, they did a really good job with casting although I have to say there are quite a few characters they killed off that I wish had stayed. The one thing about Atlantis I disliked was the Wraith. The space vampires just never sat well with me and I think they wasted a lot of good material with the direction they went with the Genii. Overall Atlantis was not as good as SG-1 but I think it was because they went "safer" with the plots. Atlantis in general doesn't have nearly as many abysmal episodes as SG-1 but at the same time it didn't have as many great episodes. While I still think the show is really good the enjoyment is more moderate or middle of the road.

As for Universe, that show was an abomination. They tried to take Stargate and turn it into the rebooted Battlestar Galactica. I hated the reboot of that show and couldn't stand to watch it. Universe was shit from the absolute beginning. They took the absolute worst possible people and they all somehow ended up at the most super stop secret base the Stargate Program had. Stargate personnel were supposed to be the cream of the crop to begin with and you'd think they'd have assigned even the best of those to the most important secret base they had. Instead we got the absolute biggest screwups who could be found. And from there it just got worse. I still remember the discussions we had in Genmay when the series first aired. For the life of me I couldn't tell you anyone's name from the show other than Rush. All of the other main characters we called by descriptors. Fat Kid, Cock Holster, Lt Balls Deep, Col McUseless, Senator's Daughter, Medic Chick and so on. The characters were completely and totally forgettable caricatures and stereotypes with the exception of Rush. I didn't like the guy but at least he was interesting and more than one dimensional. The show was little more than a joke without humor. They took a very promising premise of being stranded on a ship with enormous potential for exploration and turned it into high school politics. I think the premise of the show had the potential to be at least as good as SG-1 if not better but they had to screw it up by turning it into a daytime soap opera.

All that aside, I would be interested to see what happens with the movie reboot if Emmerich actually manages to pull it off. I seriously doubt he will considering how long he's been trying and failing at it and even if he does I don't think he'll be able to capture the awesomeness of the original movie, SG-1 or Atlantis.

My favorite SG1 was when they were in that time loop, like Groundhog day. I lamo. Teeing golf balls into the Stargate ect, lol. I didn't think the movie was that great and i didn't pay attention to the series till it was years into it already, but def one of the best tv shows ever.

I loved that episode. I bet it was fun as hell to shoot it.

The movie and SG-1 was really good but fell on it's face toward seasons 8 and 9. Looking forward to more of these. I think the cgi in the movie still hold up really well. The cgi was not overly done. Atlantis was pretty bad and SG-U didn't even try to be anything other than a tweenie show for girls.

It got cancelled because the ratings were abysmal, obviously it's not what the franchise needed, or what the fans wanted. Nor does dirty angry people arguing with eachother constantly equate to being "grown up", and hopefully whatever this new Stargate ends up being, it won't be another SG:U aka Stargate: Lord of the Flies(which makes it even funnier since you referred to it as "grown up").

Well isn't what you described any tech forum?

People arguing in a stressful and dangerous situation is more like adult life than most. Take a look out the window.

Well isn't what you described any tech forum?

People arguing in a stressful and dangerous situation is more like adult life than most. Take a look out the window.
Not sure what it is you're trying to get across, but if the stressful interactions in your adult life have ever been a nonstop stream of melodramatic nonsense, maybe you need to look out the window? Because that's not how the world works unless you're trapped in a soap opera or facebook.

I'm not saying that adults do not argue and bicker in stressful situations(a tech forum is not a stressful situation, so I'm not even sure why you brought that up. Unless you didn't ever actually read lord of the flies are are simply relying on references to it), but it's not a 24/7 occurrence that occupies every waking moment of our lives. It's also not every entertaining, and unnecessary in a show(sci-fi or otherwise) that typically has exploration as a theme.

I loved the movie, SG-1 and Atlantis. If they can remake the movie and make sure it stays true to the original, I'd love to watch it. I'm just not sure how they would get two more movies out of it, unless they did something similar to SG-1.

I suppose I'm in the tiny minority, but I really enjoyed SG:U and wasn't particularly invested in the parent series. And I only saw a handful of Atlantis episodes and one or two of the movies, none of which grabbed me. SG:U was a terrific nail-biter, though, with a really good cast, including Robert Carlyle, Ming-Na Wen, and Lou Diamond Phillips.

I'm glad the franchise became a TV series, as it was SG1 that really made me a fan of Stargate.

As long as they do not do what appears to be the currently obligatory, race, and gender swaps, I may watch it. My biggest gripe with the Galactica reboot other than the cylons basically being humans, and the weird religious whack jobbery it devolved into, was the sex, and race swapping. Boomer is a Black man, not an Asian woman, Ty is a straight laced, by the book Black man, and not a petty, drunk white man, and Starbuck is a White male ladies man, not a female. Being a fan of the original series, I had a hard time seeing those new version characters without the originals superimposing over them. It was somewhat annoying. Then the whole series went to shit in the 3rd season and I lost interest anyway.

I'd be more thrilled if this was the original TV series creators and not Roland Emmerich. Although I liked the original movie (especially the extended cut), I think the series took it in a different direction entirely (a good direction). Also, the ensemble cast dynamic worked so well with the actors in SG1 and Atlantis. I see it being much more difficult to recreate that on the big screen. But I will give them the benefit of the doubt until I hear more. Riddick did exceptional for the first movie, crappy on the second, and back to exceptional on the third. Trilogies are always a little tricky.
What about quadrilogies? They're making a fourth movie in the Riddick universe.

Atlantis started out with a couple of cameo performances by Richard Dean Anderson and Michael Shanks and the SG gate room as the expedition was leaving Earth, but after that it was pretty much a standalone series. Later seasons began to blend actors from both series as needed for story lines to work properly. If you liked SG1, you'll like Atlantis.

Thanks Domo. I think I will still watch SG1 first though. Its time for me to revisit the serie. I have watched Babylon 5 many times since I first saw it as a teen but SG1 never got the honors even though I liked it a lot as well.

The biggest problem with SG:U, is that it was basically SG:Survivor. A bunch of characters who never get along and argue constantly about everything while stuck in in the middle of nowhere without showers, and occasionally went through a stargate to explore for 5 minutes at a time. SG:U was a sci-fi drama that nobody wanted. It had more in common with the Survivor game show than the rest of the Stargate franchise.

It started out ok, but I stopped watching it when they started pushing PC social issues. More of a soap opera than science fiction.

Thanks Domo. I think I will still watch SG1 first though. Its time for me to revisit the serie. I have watched Babylon 5 many times since I first saw it as a teen but SG1 never got the honors even though I liked it a lot as well.
You'll want to consider watching Atlantis interspersed with SG1 once you see them talking about the [lost] Atlantis expedition within SG1. While the shows can be enjoyed separate from each other to some extent (it's hard for me to judge since I was watching SG1 from its premiere on Showtime), there are technology leaps that happen in SG1 which directly impact Atlantis, and it's nice to see the big picture along the way.

One of the things I loved about SG1 was that they were pretty fearless when it came to making big changes in the setting, technology wise. By the time SG1 and then Atlantis ended, the US military is flying around The Milky Way in super-fast, heavily armed spaceships and Earth is arguably the preeminent power in the galaxy. It's part of why the next iteration went the "lost in space" route. It's also why, while I loved the shows, I think a reboot is the only way to go to keep it relatable to viewers who aren't already fans.

Back