Starfield Dev's getting a little petty on social media

Two words: Load. Screens.

I'm basically just teleporting around via the crummy UI to random places.

There is no sense of "space".. (no pun intended)
You mean to tell me that you never used fast travel in any of those games? If memory serves there are loading screens when entering buildings and settlements in FO4 and Skyrim as well.

How is there more sense of space in beloved games like the Mass Effect trilogy where travel is also done by UI?

You mean to tell me that you never used fast travel in any of those games? If memory serves there are loading screens when entering buildings and settlements in FO4 and Skyrim as well.

How is there more sense of space in beloved games like the Mass Effect trilogy where travel is also done by UI?

I was merely stating my opinion..

- I'm not looking to get into a debate with you bro lol

I totally abandoned and sold my well over 1000$ account of Starcitizen. I kinda wished I kept it. There just isn't anything better. Starfield is like experiencing a flushing toilet in a ship in Star Citizen. Oh and I love ED buy the game needs a huge face-lift.

I can't complain much since I received a free copy of SF from an AMD promo. I put about 14 hours into it and just stopped playing because I was forcing myself to play beyond that point. In that time I never felt immersed into the world like I did other Bethesda games. It may be that I don't have the time to invest into a game that involves hours of busy work and honey do lists like I use to before having kids. I also didn't like the building part of FO4 which may be the root of why this game falls short with me with its farming for materials for upgrades. I guess as I get older I like the same soup just reheated and when they change the recipe I go back the the old can in the cabinet.

For starters you wouldn't look like someone who uses a double standard. I think Outer Worlds is far lesser game than Starfield. But I'm not talking about individuals, I'm baffled by the poor reception of starfield in general.
For me Starfield is a mess of design problems. Or "lack of design". Outer Worlds suffered mostly from not having the resources to execute its vision (not enough time in the proverbial oven), but has significantly more thoughtfulness in terms of design.

It also has all the hallmarks from Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky. Which already make it a substantially better game. However, I would say it's sitting around a 5, or 6 (maybe a 7 if you're incredibly generous) on a 10 point scale with no decimals. And Starfield like a 3 or 4.
I'm not seeing people suddenly claiming the big mac is no longer edible.
Again I'd say the Big Mac is trash. And I think with McDonald's in particular, people know it's trash but continue to eat it anyway.

Jim Gaffigan had a whole series of jokes about how the term "McDonald's" could be used synonymous with "garbage". So there is definitely consciousness there at least in the US. That's why I directly correlated McDonald's with Todd Howard. Because people know something is trash and consume it anyway; they say it's terrible as they stuff it in their face.

View: https://youtu.be/KYKGFujJp6Y?si=osCLMCDiI8ea1OvG
This is something unique to gaming, and I can't help but think it is entitlement. But I just can't trace where it is coming from. Maybe it is the hateclick collecting influencers.
I do agree that people do hate-bandwagon things, but only if they also actually agree. Criticism helps people to identify why they like particular things or dislike particular things. Which is the same with every kind of criticism. Like with food or films, etc.

I disagree with this premise that it's just a gaming phenomenon. Just look at Star Wars fandom. Arguably the most toxic fandom. Though rightfully so because Star Wars has also been one large dumpster fire of mismanagement, which is similar to Starfield.

(In case you're wondering why I'm calling Starfield a mismanagement dumpster fire, is because it is. The devs have directly stated that Starfield did not have a design document. It's just a random mish-mash of systems. And no one in the team(s) knew what other parts of the team were doing).

Last edited:
Exactly, IP is great, but you need talent and resources to make any use of it. Microsoft has the money to hire those, but software development is one of those things you can throw endless supplies of money at and still get nothing. You need a very specific set of Managerial skills to wrangle a crapload of neuro spicy software developers to get a workable product out of them. Small teams are easier, but takes a long long time produce results and that is counter to how corporate math dictates a project should work. So the only option is to throw manpower at it but you always end up with a too many cooks situation.
Good management makes great software, and good managers are really hard to find.
What's important to remember is that games are an art, and you can't just buy art and expect it to always be a master piece because you get the right kind of managerial skills. If the story writers of Starfield spend more time in fantasy football than in Star Trek or Star Wars then I wouldn't expect the game to be good. If the content creators aren't sitting down and crafting massive interesting side quests, and instead have a lot of experience with mobile games and brought busy work experience into a game like Starfield then don't expect the game to be good. A good game requires a very good team to craft a good game.
Well, I think your problem is not that the games are deep as a puddle, but that you only waded into them ankle deep, and then quickly pulled out. I found much more meaning in Starfield than Skyrim, more interesting locations to explore.
Name some then. I haven't played Skyrim in years, but I have very found memories of Blackbreach, Dwavren Automations and the cities they inhabit. Parts of the game like when you go to the very far north east to find a vault that has a book in it, or that area where you find a giant orb called the the Eye of Magnus. Even in Fallout 3 and 4 you get a giant robot that spews out propaganda and can pick up a giant monster and fling it like it was nothing. Starfield is in space, so there had better be a giant robot. In Fallout 4 I still remember entering the Institute and listening to the music while taking in all the lore that they're behind the creation of fake humans.

View: https://youtu.be/AFMvQVjX16Q?si=cevtniVk2t_h6Cgn
And I don't mean given meaning to by the carrot at the end of the dungeon. That's actually outdated game design.
How is that outdated game design? That's the entire Dark Souls/Eldin Ring franchise as a whole. Nobody likes wasting their time farming to get a bigger number. That's why Baldur's Gate 3 is game of the year, where you can literally find a dungeon or cave that's looks like a puddle but is as deep as an ocean. In Baldur's Gate 3 I walk into a building and figure out a way to open a portal to enter hell where I fight the devil named Raphael who drops legendary loot, and that dude wasn't easy. Took me a number of tries beating him. The dude is so charismatic and narcissistic that I loved beating him down. The voice acting quality in BG3 is just top notch. Game is absolutely buggy is hell, and certainly buggier than Starfield.

View: https://youtu.be/JAD3AwTNaes?si=rqdf1XdArAD-A_55
I mean exploring the location being its own reward even without finding some superweapon or flashy armor hidden there. Even Mass Effect Andromeda has some great side characters and things that it does better than any other RPG. Like giving a proper epilogue.
Exploring a copy and paste location is not a reward, and Starfield is full of those. What makes the location interesting is what's in it. A super weapon is icing on the cake, but ideally should have a good enough reward to make it worth exploring. Give me lore, give me gameplay, or give me tits. Most games are flatter than a D4 character, so it had better do the first two right. I don't like games where I have to grind and kill an enemy 50+ times to craft a weapon that I'll most likely stop using shortly after. In that 12 hours I could be playing the boring parts of Starfield, I could be playing a good game.

Game is absolutely buggy is hell, and certainly buggier than Starfield.

I think people are critical of Starfield because a lot of people got it for free. People paid for BG3 so they convince themselves it's a good game. It's not, they're both trash. But people are much more financially invested in BG3.

Reactions: M76
like this
I think people are critical of Starfield because a lot of people got it for free. People paid for BG3 so they convince themselves it's a good game. It's not, they're both trash. But people are much more financially invested in BG3.
That's the most copium I've ever heard of. Starfield has an army of people defending it because its an exclusive Xbox game. Even though it's technically not exclusive since it's on PC, but whatever. If anything it seems Starfield has similar problems with Fallout 76, because it has a lot of elements from Fallout 76. Boring wide areas with lots of busy work, but nothing of value to be found. If there is value to be found, it's far and few between the long boring empty areas that doesn't make up for it.

People are blaming Starfields game engine while BG3 has so many bugs. BG3 was released with FSR1.0, which was awful but Starfield has FSR2.2 from the start. Vulkan is buggy as hell in BG3, even with all the patches they put in the game. Especially if you use FSR with Vulkan, because I have to with my aging Vega56 because the game does get really low frame rates in some parts of the game. So either you use DX11 to remove some of the bugs, or you deal with Vulkan causing crashing issues. Then there's this nonsense of outdated game design, when BG3 has the same game design as BG2 but with better graphics. Meanwhile Pizza Tower mimics the game design of Wario Land 4 from 2001 and people went nuts for this game. Even so much as to mimic the graphics like it's running on a Playstation 1. That's not to say I don't have criticism of BG3 beyond the instability. BG3 has a heavy hand approach to bisexuality, and every dude wants to have sex extremely early on the game. The one female character who looks half decent, you can't romance her until late in the game. Not to mention that no female in BG3 has a breast size larger than A cup, but you can f*ck a bear. No boob slider, but you can pick your dick. The dice rolling mechanic is stupid, and I really wish they didn't put that element of D&D into that game. Just wastes my time as I'm going to abuse the save and load system until I get the results I want. Fallout 3 & 4 had a similar dialog system, but you didn't roll dice to continue dialog. Dragon Age Origins still did these things better, and had tits. Seriously, search for the Desire Demon scene where a female demon is basically naked with D cups. While in BG3 I either have sex with the Devil Raphael's doppelganger or fight him, which says a lot of about the double standards this game has. BG3 is by far not a perfect game, but still a lot better than most games that came out in 2023, including Starfield.

View: https://youtu.be/NS6bEk2TSOs?si=BRlzXH14-zgmkpi_

I still don't get all the hate Starfield is getting. Blanket statements like "it is trash and boring" are meaningless to me. How is it worse than Fallout 4 or Skyrim? To me it seems to be an improvement on almost all fronts compared to those games.

I think it plays great as an FPS and as an immersive sim also. For a game to be immersive it doesn't have to allow the player to alter the story or kill quest giving NPCs. I think Alien Isolation is one of the best immersive sims out there even though you can't influence the story in it at all.

I'd understand all the upturned noses if we had a plethora of games that already exist that are better open world space games than Starfield. But compared to nothing Starfield is a helluva lot better. I take it with open arms and want more like it. Sure it has things that could be much improved, but which game hasn't? Is it buggy? No more than Skyrim was. So why is Skyrim adored almost universally while this gets so much hate? I see no reasonable explanation outside of gamers becoming spoiled brats who sperg out at the slightest inconvenience or when reality doesn't meet their often unrealistic expectations exactly on the head.
It’s trash because what made those games awesome (though flawed) was the exploration and world, interesting side quests, etc.

Saying you can explore way more and more worlds is a perfect example of more not being better.

Having to go through half a dozen loading screens and prompts to do a fetch quest on entirely different worlds absolutely destroys the immersion.

If this had No Man’s Sky type traversal and worlds with more dialogue and planet specific quests then maybe. They used the wrong engine and lost focus with this one.

It’s trash because what made those games awesome (though flawed) was the exploration and world, interesting side quests, etc.

Saying you can explore way more and more worlds is a perfect example of more not being better.

Having to go through half a dozen loading screens and prompts to do a fetch quest on entirely different worlds absolutely destroys the immersion.

If this had No Man’s Sky type traversal and worlds with more dialogue and planet specific quests then maybe. They used the wrong engine and lost focus with this one.
Another example of this is Breath of the Wild vs Tears of the Kingdom. I can tell you that there's no reason to ever play Breath of the Wild, because Tears of the Kingdom is just that much better. In fact, TOTK uses the same world as BOTW with minor changes. The problem with BOTW was the world was mostly empty, with stupid things like Korok mini quests that help to fill it out. This was such a hated mechanic that people created the Korok Space Program just to torture these things as revenge of this crap in BOTW which they brought back in TOTK. At least now TOTK has places to explore like the sky and underground which fills the game out better. Traveling in TOTK is so much better too since you can easily create a flying machine and get across it in no time. Getting the Master Sword is no longer a late game item that sucks, and has respectable damage.

View: https://youtu.be/r62JFl-8Rpo?si=SC4ygynWbFzztuEF

You know what other open world game used a cheesy mechanic to help fill out their open world and people made endless memes about it?

View: https://youtu.be/RETur--wd0U?si=qPeNb8L3SHwFuf7K

I think Alien Isolation is one of the best immersive sims out there even though you can't influence the story in it at all.

Playing a bit loose and fast with the term simulator? A bit off topic, but I just hate it that people label everything as a "sim" now. People say Call of Duty is a "simulator" because a few in game skins look like real soldiers. I'm not seeing how Alien Isolation is any type of simulator. It is a horror game.

As far Starfield, I think a bit of the disappointment is the space aspects but we knew that before launch. It doesn't necessarily seem to be much worse than FO4, but it is 2023 and I think people expect better. I also think it has become more of a Youtube clickbait thing, and it is simply trending to trash talk the game. Most Steam reviews are now negative. Starfield isn't perfect but people are acting like it is a horrible game. And I think it has more to do with the Youtube/tik tok/Reddit people just mirroring what they heard elsewhere.

Last edited:
I was merely stating my opinion..

- I'm not looking to get into a debate with you bro lol
C`mon at least don't insult my intelligence. If you were just innocently stating an opinion as you claim, you wouldn't have started with "two words" like you are having a mic drop moment. Which I bet you thought you had. But when I pointed out that other highly acclaimed games have even less of a sense of space then "don't debate me, bro"? I'm sorry but it's not up for debate that I'm calling out falsities.

For me Starfield is a mess of design problems. Or "lack of design". Outer Worlds suffered mostly from not having the resources to execute its vision (not enough time in the proverbial oven), but has significantly more thoughtfulness in terms of design.
Ironically to me Outer worlds felt more like new vegas in space, than Starfield is Fallout in space. I think Outer Worlds suffered from many things like bad pacing and lack of characterization.
It also has all the hallmarks from Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky. Which already make it a substantially better game. However, I would say it's sitting around a 5, or 6 (maybe a 7 if you're incredibly generous) on a 10 point scale with no decimals. And Starfield like a 3 or 4.
I'm not too familiar with those two or their prior works. Never played their games except for Fallout 1 and 2, but I can't say I'm a big fan of those either. Starfield presents a much more believable and plausible world, one that is easier for me to get immersed in. The most fun for me in Starfield isn't pursuing the main quest, or even doing the big sidequests while those are fun too. Being immersed in exploration gave me countless hours of fun, multitudes more than Outer Worlds ever did. And I liked Outer Worlds too, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to drag it down to make Starfield look better.
Name some then. I haven't played Skyrim in years, but I have very found memories of Blackbreach, Dwavren Automations and the cities they inhabit. Parts of the game like when you go to the very far north east to find a vault that has a book in it, or that area where you find a giant orb called the the Eye of Magnus. Even in Fallout 3 and 4 you get a giant robot that spews out propaganda and can pick up a giant monster and fling it like it was nothing. Starfield is in space, so there had better be a giant robot. In Fallout 4 I still remember entering the Institute and listening to the music while taking in all the lore that they're behind the creation of fake humans.
Name what? Locations? Many of the locations I enjoyed didn't even have a name, nor did I care to memorize them. And even if I did me listing names would be an exercise in futility as they'd mean nothing to you. Just as those names you mention are completely meaningless to me. I agree that the underground dwarven cities were awesome in Skyrim, but that's just about what stuck with me outside of the launch day bugs. The only memorable character to me from TES is the bookshop owner in Oblivion and I can't even recall his name.

My favorite character in starfield who is not a main character is Marika Boros, even though there aren't so many spoken lines for her. But I also think main characters like Sam Coe, Sarah Morgan are also interesting. Sarah has many sides that are interesting to explore.

From fallout the only character I remember fondly is JHE, but I think that has more to do with me being a fan of the voice actor than anything else. There was also the detective robot in F4 which seemed interesting at first only to fizzle out later. But I couldn't name a single character from F4 if my life depended on it. Of course by the time Starfield is 9 years old I probably won't recall those character's names either. But now playing it, it is defnitiely no worse than previous Bethesda games in terms of characters.
How is that outdated game design?
I already explained how. The locations should be interesting to explore in of themselves you should be excited by the architecture and lore you might find. You mentioned the dwarven cities in skyrim so you should know exactly what I'm talking about. If the only reason you go into the cave is because there might be a carrot on a stick at the end of it, then it is a grind and a waste of time. I want to feel excited to go down the alleyway even if I know I'll find no high value item at the end of it. Imagine being on a sightseeing tour, you don't go down every street, only the ones that seem interesting. Going down every alleyway and cave and dungeon to see what the devs put there for you to find is exactly the outdated game design I speak about. Locations shouldn't be obviously made for the player's benefit.

In Starfield I'm not landing on every god forsaken dust planet, only ones that seem interesting, and I don't go to every "unknown" marker even when I land. I only go where I see something intrigueing. I explore as I would explore in real life, not based on an assumption of carrot on a stick game mechanics.

So in a way I think people who try to play starfield based on those old expectations are the ones who find it boring or bland. They try to land on every planet of every star system and when they find nothing of interest they think the game has failed them. No, it is them who fail at being an explorer.
That's the entire Dark Souls/Eldin Ring franchise as a whole.
That explains why I think those games are overhyped crap. Even Armored Core 6 plays like it was designed in the early 1990s or late 1980s. And people call Starfield outdated?
Nobody likes wasting their time farming to get a bigger number.
Going into every cave to find what the devs put there for my benefit feels very much like farming to me.
That's why Baldur's Gate 3 is game of the year, where you can literally find a dungeon or cave that's looks like a puddle but is as deep as an ocean.
If every dungeon is like that it is immersion breaking. Game worlds shouldn't be designed focused on the player, but as living breathing, believable words first and foremost. This is why I love the scorned Ubisoft open world games, like AC Odyssey, Valhalla, or Ghost Recon Wildlands and Breakpoint. Because the world doesn't revolve around the player, you feel like a small cog instead of a prime mover. It is peak immersion to me, especially in their unguided modes where you actually need to find locations by reading the scenery and the terrain as opposed to being led there by GPS.
You might be on to something, I forgot it is free on game pass. The exact same scenario played out when Mass Effect Andromeda was free in early access to EA subscribers. A ton of people who wasn't even really interested in it played it and made memes of it, and gave it an unfair bad reputation. It's not unthinkable that the same is happening to Starfield. I really hope this puts the nails in the coffin of the loathsome idea of "games as a service".

Last edited:
C`mon at least don't insult my intelligence. If you were just innocently stating an opinion as you claim, you wouldn't have started with "two words" like you are having a mic drop moment. Which I bet you thought you had. But when I pointed out that other highly acclaimed games have even less of a sense of space then "don't debate me, bro"? I'm sorry but it's not up for debate that I'm calling out falsities.

Got that lil diatribe out of your system? smh

You might be on to something, I forgot it is free on game pass. The exact same scenario played out when Mass Effect Andromeda was free in early access to EA subscribers. A ton of people who wasn't even really interested in it played it and made memes of it, and gave it an unfair bad reputation. It's not unthinkable that the same is happening to Starfield. I really hope this puts the nails in the coffin of the loathsome idea of "games as a service".
That's some pretty big cope. If having "financial attachment" mattered, then why are steam reviews fairly negative?

It's fine to still enjoy the usual Bethesda mediocrity. Hell, how many people still play CoD/FIFA? I've played plenty of jrpgs that many would pass as mediocre.

Embrace your guilty pleasure game of choice, it's fine. But it doesn't mean that everyone who calls it out for what it is are wrong.

That's some pretty big cope. If having "financial attachment" mattered, then why are steam reviews fairly negative?

Financial attachment is a huge thing. The Starfield reviews are negative because it was a free game for a lot of people. Without any skin in the game, people get a lot more honest with themselves.

If you buy a Hyundai and have to make payments on it, you'll defend it more than if someone gave you a Hyundai.

Financial attachment is a huge thing. The Starfield reviews are negative because it was a free game for a lot of people. Without any skin in the game, people get a lot more honest with themselves.

If you buy a Hyundai and have to make payments on it, you'll defend it more than if someone gave you a Hyundai.
So why are the steam reviews so negative? Last time I checked you have to own a game on steam to review it.

Ironically to me Outer worlds felt more like new vegas in space, than Starfield is Fallout in space.
Considering the authors of New Vegas and Outer Worlds, that is some-what aprospos. Fallout 2 and New Vegas are connected by Chris Avellone, another super-star writer.
I think Outer Worlds suffered from many things like bad pacing and lack of characterization.
I would say your description is at least some-what fair. I can remember all of the companions in Outer Worlds and the main story characters, and that is more than I can say for any Todd Howard game.

I'm not too familiar with those two or their prior works. Never played their games except for Fallout 1 and 2, but I can't say I'm a big fan of those either. Starfield presents a much more believable and plausible world, one that is easier for me to get immersed in.
This is highly subjective of course. But anyone who has thoroughly played Fallout 1/2 would call them 2 of the best RPG's of all time. And certainly top amongst tactical RPG games. Like XCom and now with some degree of resurgence, DoS 1/2 and BG3.

And it also begs the question of why an individual plays games. And the nature of 'immersion'. Because most would simply define that as a believable world, not necessarily that the content is more or less "fantastic". As in there are many people that would say the world and mythos of LotR is "immersive".

Outer World's didn't seek to necessarily to take itself seriously. That's clear and by design. But like great literature sought to use satire to have commentary about topics like commercialism, governments, slavery, and the proletariat. Outer Worlds was at least attempting to comment on something, though it failed there ultimately (honestly should've pushed more and explored the topics more). It at least had something to say and explore, whereas Starfield more-or-less does not.

The most fun for me in Starfield isn't pursuing the main quest, or even doing the big sidequests while those are fun too. Being immersed in exploration gave me countless hours of fun, multitudes more than Outer Worlds ever did. And I liked Outer Worlds too, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to drag it down to make Starfield look better.
I think this sentence says it all. Not to be critical of you, what I hear you saying is that a game is better for you because it has endless, empty, procedural generation.

In which case No Man's Sky should be a 10/10 for you. Because that game is everything that Starfield wanted to be in space. You take take off and land on 100's of planets with zero loading screens. Any place you see you can go.
Whereas in Starfield all of that is an illusion. It takes loading screens to go to planets, another to land on them, and no real freedom on said planet. You get one spot, it's generated, and then you move on. If you take the time to run 10 minutes any direction (which why would you because it's all empty anyway), then you simply hit an invisible wall. But doing all of that is pointless, much again like most of Starfield. Frankly Mass Effect 1 with the Mako exploration is more interesting than what is presented in Starfield. And that's a pretty bad indictment considering that people hated the Mako. Yet still, every planet with Mako exploration has more to do on it than Starfield does.

I play a game to tell me a compelling story. If it also has real choice (RPG), then I like that aspect too. I have little to no interest in a walking simulator. Starfield keeps insisting on itself that something cooler or bigger is coming and it never does. Like Fallout 3/4 and Skyrim before it, the only people who really enjoy these Todd Howard games are despite of the game and not because of it. You find your own fun inside of the engine. Troll enemies (shout people off of cliffs, break the game engine's stealth, or whatever). Throw on 10,000 mods, etc. And I suppose if that's what makes a good game for you, fine.

But Starfield has nothing interesting to say (as in the story is garbage that is stapled on with no depth behind its M. Night Shyamalan twist), no exemplary game mechanics (as they are a patch-work design). Meaning things like difficulty, leveling, combat, collection, construction, are all a total mess. So both halves of the game offer nothing, story or mechanics. For people wanting to play an actual game, it barely rates. It looks pretty enough, and it's reasonably stable, but that's more or less where the positives end. And I think players and reviewers are figuring out that these games' lack of depth is in fact a bug and not a feature.

Anyway, I'm done. I think you like this game because you like Todd Howard games, and not because you can reasonably justify that it is good. For whatever reason Starfield pushed your proverbial buttons, but this game offers players nothing really new. ME1, Outer Worlds, No Man's Sky, Elite: Dangerous, heck even Star Citizen are doing more interesting in space than this game. If you love it, that's fine. But I don't think it serves you or anyone else if you're starting from the place that the criticisms levied against Starfield aren't deserved.

Last edited:
So many issues. I liked the original charm at first.

But then I became Elaine trying to get Putty somewhere on time, hitting ESC/M1/Space/WHATEVER - which got me through the horrid stilted speaking parts.
I mean, the entire game. Because the game aspects never really change, because numbers just go up.

And War. War never changes.

Name what? Locations? Many of the locations I enjoyed didn't even have a name, nor did I care to memorize them. And even if I did me listing names would be an exercise in futility as they'd mean nothing to you. Just as those names you mention are completely meaningless to me. I agree that the underground dwarven cities were awesome in Skyrim, but that's just about what stuck with me outside of the launch day bugs. The only memorable character to me from TES is the bookshop owner in Oblivion and I can't even recall his name.
If it was memorable you should be able to describe it. When I say that Fallout 3/4 has a giant robot that spews out propaganda about democracy, you'd know what I'm talking about.
I already explained how. The locations should be interesting to explore in of themselves you should be excited by the architecture and lore you might find. You mentioned the dwarven cities in skyrim so you should know exactly what I'm talking about. If the only reason you go into the cave is because there might be a carrot on a stick at the end of it, then it is a grind and a waste of time. I want to feel excited to go down the alleyway even if I know I'll find no high value item at the end of it. Imagine being on a sightseeing tour, you don't go down every street, only the ones that seem interesting. Going down every alleyway and cave and dungeon to see what the devs put there for you to find is exactly the outdated game design I speak about. Locations shouldn't be obviously made for the player's benefit.
Ideally it should be both rewarding in both adventure and item. Visiting the underground caves would usually reward you with something cool and unique surroundings. If you reward me in only scenery then I won't come back again. Reward me in items only then I'll come back and call it a grind. Reward me with both and I call it a good game. This is why I watch videos of Skyrim lore because I wanted to know what happened.

View: https://youtu.be/8XNlA888PCI?si=AutRTIJvXvIf9xJy
In Starfield I'm not landing on every god forsaken dust planet, only ones that seem interesting, and I don't go to every "unknown" marker even when I land. I only go where I see something intrigueing. I explore as I would explore in real life, not based on an assumption of carrot on a stick game mechanics.
The problem with that is that I would be looking at every planet because I would think there's hidden treasure or at least something interesting to see. You know what other game that made this mistake? Well there was No Man's Sky, but I mean Mass Effect 1. You could land on planets and explore nothing.

View: https://youtu.be/B93HIL27o2E?si=WU8LxpUZPfMlXkX1
So in a way I think people who try to play starfield based on those old expectations are the ones who find it boring or bland. They try to land on every planet of every star system and when they find nothing of interest they think the game has failed them. No, it is them who fail at being an explorer.
Or just don't allow me to explore a planet that wasn't meant to be explored. In Mass Effect 2 they allow you to scan planets and if there's something of value you can land on it. Also the music helps.

View: https://youtu.be/cpB2RkrelQE?si=7keFOecH8pJcfBCh
If every dungeon is like that it is immersion breaking. Game worlds shouldn't be designed focused on the player, but as living breathing, believable words first and foremost. This is why I love the scorned Ubisoft open world games, like AC Odyssey, Valhalla, or Ghost Recon Wildlands and Breakpoint. Because the world doesn't revolve around the player, you feel like a small cog instead of a prime mover. It is peak immersion to me, especially in their unguided modes where you actually need to find locations by reading the scenery and the terrain as opposed to being led there by GPS.
Your taste in games is not well received. AC Odyssey has a user rating of 6.6, which if I remember had micro-transactions and limited players progression unless they did a lot of boring side quests. AC Valhalla got a 7.2, but I never played this game so I wouldn't know why it wasn't well received. Ghost Recon Wildlands got a 6.5. Breakpoint got a 3.2. :dead: Where as the games I consider good get much higher scores. Skyrim has a user rating of 8.6. Baldur's Gate 3 has a 8.9. Fallout 3 has a 8.5. Fallout 4 got a 6.8, which is the lowest of my choices. Fallout New Vegas got a 8.8.

So either people like outdated game design or people don't like bad game design. Starfield has a 7.0 from users on Metacritic.
8ajzev.jpg

Last edited:
The locations should be interesting to explore in of themselves you should be excited by the architecture and lore you might find. You mentioned the dwarven cities in skyrim so you should know exactly what I'm talking about. If the only reason you go into the cave is because there might be a carrot on a stick at the end of it, then it is a grind and a waste of time. I want to feel excited to go down the alleyway even if I know I'll find no high value item at the end of it. Imagine being on a sightseeing tour, you don't go down every street, only the ones that seem interesting. Going down every alleyway and cave and dungeon to see what the devs put there for you to find is exactly the outdated game design I speak about. Locations shouldn't be obviously made for the player's benefit.

And this is why I don't like Ubisoft games. They have vast worlds, and will build massive structures, with the only reason to visit them being a loot box. Which is necessary to level up otherwise encounters would be extremely difficult.

Starfield is a game meant for Mature Adults while the other kids complain. It doesn't do anything for them because they have no attention span.
Or their ONN TV is too big for their eyes.
I imagine you had your pinky pointed up in the air while you typed that as you sipped evian.

And this is why I don't like Ubisoft games. They have vast worlds, and will build massive structures, with the only reason to visit them being a loot box. Which is necessary to level up otherwise encounters would be extremely difficult.
Open worlds are easy, populating them with enjoyable and relevant content is expensive.

The “innovative” part of Starfield was the fact that content was auto generated. And I’d bet dollars to doughnuts that the LLMs exist to do it in a better way than Starfields devs got to.

I mean just ask ChatGPT for a D&D one shot and it will build one out with remarkable detail.
Pair that with a random dungeon simulator, and a collection of mission types, infiltration, extraction, search & destroy, assassination, rescue, retrieval, containment, decontamination, and the good old kill’em all.

Maybe some random puzzle types mixed in not the same unlock door algorithm over and over… ChatGPT can also put together a remarkably complicated Locked Room scenario as well.

Open worlds are easy, populating them with enjoyable and relevant content is expensive.

It isn't just expensive, it is hard. It is hard to make someone care about a character, or some faction or idea. The bigger the game, the harder it inherently gets. You also have a lack of urgency and direction. Most games have a goal or struggle not worth caring about, or are so vague you can't even remember what you're doing between missions. Opening it up further just makes it so much harder. You can have important story moments broken up by an hour long bread baking quest. Characters will go from panicked in the story to calm and stoic in a few minutes as you move on to a side quest. It has gotten worse because side quests are now often longer than the game itself.

If you want a coherent story, good pacing, and cinematic feel it is better to not go the open world route. Very few open world games have had good stories that I have played. Most of them become forgettable, even if fun in the moment, repetition of basic tasks. It is also why it is hard to replay an open world game. The parts that were actually fun are often few and far between. You might want to re-experience an epic battle or high point in the story, but doing 7 bread baking quests, running around, and snatching loot for hours on end is boring.

Bethesda games had natural exploration, and their stories were not too cinematic. The Fallout games were interesting because there were a lot of unique locations that naturally draws in the player, and almost every location had a quest that was fairly unique attached to it. There was also some leeway in story outcomes and choices. The character iterations, atmosphere and mood setting was not that great, but it made up for it in other ways. Even Fallout 4 still had this, but dialogue options and real impact to the story suffered. Bethesda clearly started to loose their edge around that time.

It isn't just expensive, it is hard. It is hard to make someone care about a character, or some faction or idea. The bigger the game, the harder it inherently gets. You also have a lack of urgency and direction. Most games have a goal or struggle not worth caring about, or are so vague you can't even remember what you're doing between missions. Opening it up further just makes it so much harder. You can have important story moments broken up by an hour long bread baking quest. Characters will go from panicked in the story to calm and stoic in a few minutes as you move on to a side quest. It has gotten worse because side quests are now often longer than the game itself.

If you want a coherent story, good pacing, and cinematic feel it is better to not go the open world route. Very few open world games have had good stories that I have played. Most of them become forgettable, even if fun in the moment, repetition of basic tasks. It is also why it is hard to replay an open world game. The parts that were actually fun are often few and far between. You might want to re-experience an epic battle or high point in the story, but doing 7 bread baking quests, running around, and snatching loot for hours on end is boring.

Bethesda games had natural exploration, and their stories were not too cinematic. The Fallout games were interesting because there were a lot of unique locations that naturally draws in the player, and almost every location had a quest that was fairly unique attached to it. There was also some leeway in story outcomes and choices. The character iterations, atmosphere and mood setting was not that great, but it made up for it in other ways. Even Fallout 4 still had this, but dialogue options and real impact to the story suffered. Bethesda clearly started to loose their edge around that time.
Part of me wonders how much if at all the writers strike impacted dialog and story in the game. But part of me doesn’t care, a baker can blame their staffing all they want but at the end of the day they are still on the hook if the cake you ordered is a dressed up shit sandwich.

There's a difference from just placing enemies in locations to act as a path of resistance to a player, and games like Dark Souls. In Dark Souls games your encounter with every enemy was well crafted, and wasn't just something you would mindlessly killed to get from A to B. This isn't new game design, as Dark Souls plays on old game design but brought back. Games like Mega Man 2 and Zelda 1 & 2 were designed like this. To craft games like this is extremely time consuming, and requires skill. Open world games would require a much larger investment, which is why a lot of them don't. Instead of placing enemies in a spot for a specific reason, they are either placed randomly or spawned in at certain moments.

View: https://youtu.be/XBvvOSc4_S8?si=PChtP9eiiiTIlxug
The only reason the game industry today goes open world is the same reason single player games made in the 2000's all had multiplayer that nobody used, because the people at the top wanted this feature because it sold more games. It obviously doesn't, which is why Baldur's Gate 3 is doing well and isn't an open world game.
The things that were missing in Fallout 4 that made people hate the game were probably removed to cut back in development time. Giving the player alternative endings based on your actions, while also putting in a Karma system that changed outcomes throughout the game was going to cost a lot of development time. But those are features that make Fallout games. Bethesda seems to think that the main draw for Fallout games is wandering a post nuclear wasteland with a heavy theme based on 1950's 1960's America. Which is true, but you should have the RPG elements that made people fall in love with these games. Most likely Fallout 4 just needed more time to cook before it was released, but they had no problems adding many DLC's to Fallout 4. This is likely the problem with Starfield in that Bethesda needed another year or two to polish the game and put in content. Good luck convincing fans that this is their problem and not the game engine, because they also defended Fallout 76 as well. It was a broken game, but also boring.

View: https://youtu.be/B4JWMxV8pz0?si=d9qMoevE6OTlFIXV

The things that were missing in Fallout 4 that made people hate the game were probably removed to cut back in development time. Giving the player alternative endings based on your actions, while also putting in a Karma system that changed outcomes throughout the game was going to cost a lot of development time. But those are features that make Fallout games. Bethesda seems to think that the main draw for Fallout games is wandering a post nuclear wasteland with a heavy theme based on 1950's 1960's America. Which is true, but you should have the RPG elements that made people fall in love with these games. Most likely Fallout 4 just needed more time to cook before it was released, but they had no problems adding many DLC's to Fallout 4. This is likely the problem with Starfield in that Bethesda needed another year or two to polish the game and put in content. Good luck convincing fans that this is their problem and not the game engine, because they also defended Fallout 76 as well. It was a broken game, but also boring.

View: https://youtu.be/B4JWMxV8pz0?si=d9qMoevE6OTlFIXV

The new Fallout games to me felt... soulless. I was never compelled to continue the story and instead just ran around for about 10 hours doing random stuff. Eventually I started building bases and then got bored with farming stuff to build my bases. The quests were never really that interesting. The NPCs never really felt that interesting. The environments and "dungeons", while cool at first, got old quick as it felt like I was just playing a Skyrim mod. The last hour or two I played I messed around with infinite resource cheats to just build massive base areas... and then I uninstalled never to play again. There is something about the way that the Creation Engine feels that, like I said above in another post, just feels old. I also dont like the way that NPCs and environments adjust based on your level - I remember a mod for Skyrim that changed the levels/teirs of enemies that spawn in a dungeon and it made the game more enjoyable.

If Starfield was shoehorned into even the aging REDengine then it would have been way better. Maybe part of the problem is that the devs are dead inside just like modern film makers.

Playing a bit loose and fast with the term simulator? A bit off topic, but I just hate it that people label everything as a "sim" now. People say Call of Duty is a "simulator" because a few in game skins look like real soldiers. I'm not seeing how Alien Isolation is any time of simulator. It is a horror game.
Immersive sim is a genre of games, it has nothing to do with being exact simulations of reality like a flight sim for example.

"An immersive sim is a video game genre that emphasizes player choice. Its core, defining trait is the use of simulated systems that respond to a variety of player actions which, combined with a comparatively broad array of player abilities, allow the game to support varied and creative solutions to problems"
As far Starfield, I think a bit of the disappointment is the space aspects but we knew that before launch. It doesn't necessarily seem to be much worse than FO4, but it is 2023 and I think people expect better.
It is better in every metric than FO4. You could argue that the story or the setting is worse but that's just a matter of taste and opinion, not something that can be judged objectively.
I also think it has become more of a Youtube clickbait thing, and it is simply trending to trash talk the game. Most Steam reviews are now negative. Starfield isn't perfect but people are acting like it is a horrible game. And I think it has more to do with the Youtube/tik tok/Reddit people just mirroring what they heard elsewhere.
Yes, this is a trend and not just in videogames, people listen to their favorite "influencer" and pass on their second hand opinion as if it was their own. So one person missing the mark (or deliberately going for hate bait) can skew the entire perception of a product. Of course you could argue that the steam reviewers must have played the game so it is not second hand opinion, but how many of those negative reviews are by those with 100+ hours in the game? I find it laughable that someone spends 100 hours in a game that they don't like or enjoy. Not recommending a game after getting 100 hours of entertainment out of it, is pretty bad consumer advice. And also how many of those reviews are just pettyness because it's trendy now to dogpile on Bethesda? Or written after 10 minutes in the game based in confirmation bias? Of course there must be some people who genuinely dislike the game, but I doubt anyone who enjoyed previous Bethesda RPGs would fall into that category. And if you are giving a "not recommended" to a game after spending 150 hours in it, just what are you doing? You are either lying and enjoyed the game, or a mazochist for playing a terrible game for that long.

Last edited:
Considering the authors of New Vegas and Outer Worlds, that is some-what aprospos. Fallout 2 and New Vegas are connected by Chris Avellone, another super-star writer.
I don't consider that a good thing. A completely new IP in a completely different setting being so similar suggests a lack of imagination from the creators to me.
I would say your description is at least some-what fair. I can remember all of the companions in Outer Worlds and the main story characters, and that is more than I can say for any Todd Howard game.
I can only remember one companion character from Outer Worlds, Bethesda games don't even have characters in the traditional sense like Mass Effect has where I remember everyone, even some non-companion characters.
Todd Howard / Bethesda is terrible at writing characters, I just enjoy the world building and exploration.
This is highly subjective of course. But anyone who has thoroughly played Fallout 1/2 would call them 2 of the best RPG's of all time. And certainly top amongst tactical RPG games. Like XCom and now with some degree of resurgence, DoS 1/2 and BG3.
I'm not saying Fallout 1 or 2 was bad, just that they mean nothing to me. When I first seen them I was like 10 and couldn't even get out of the first room, and they were woefully outdated by the time I started re-discovering RPGs.
And it also begs the question of why an individual plays games. And the nature of 'immersion'. Because most would simply define that as a believable world, not necessarily that the content is more or less "fantastic". As in there are many people that would say the world and mythos of LotR is "immersive".
Yes, that's exactly it, it doesn't have to be realistic to be immersive, just follow its own rules and have clear and consistent world building.
Outer World's didn't seek to necessarily to take itself seriously. That's clear and by design. But like great literature sought to use satire to have commentary about topics like commercialism, governments, slavery, and the proletariat. Outer Worlds was at least attempting to comment on something, though it failed there ultimately (honestly should've pushed more and explored the topics more). It at least had something to say and explore, whereas Starfield more-or-less does not.
I know it was trying to be satire, but it was very surface level. I seen no grand design or deep meaning in Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, or Fallout 4 either, I just enjoyed them for the exploration of the world and the lore. I just like Starfield more because the sci-fi setting was always more my cup of tea than fantasy or post apocalyptic.
I think this sentence says it all. Not to be critical of you, what I hear you saying is that a game is better for you because it has endless, empty, procedural generation.
Not better because it's endless, better because it doesn't feel everything was designed with you in mind. Some planets being empty of meaningful content just add to the immersion, because it makes it more believable. If there is something grand everywhere that diminishes the entire experience. Instead of a sense of achievement when finding something interesting it is a feeling of: Oh, this was deliberately put here for me to bump into, wasn't it?
In which case No Man's Sky should be a 10/10 for you. Because that game is everything that Starfield wanted to be in space. You take take off and land on 100's of planets with zero loading screens. Any place you see you can go.
I think you completely miss what I like about Starfield if you think that. Or it is possible that No Man's Sky is a completely different game than I think it is? I doubt that. To me NMS looks like minecraft in space, a pointless sandbox, I have zero interest in it. I had no issue with the loading screens in Starfield, they didn't diminish my enjoyment of the game.
Whereas in Starfield all of that is an illusion. It takes loading screens to go to planets, another to land on them, and no real freedom on said planet. You get one spot, it's generated, and then you move on. If you take the time to run 10 minutes any direction (which why would you because it's all empty anyway), then you simply hit an invisible wall. But doing all of that is pointless, much again like most of Starfield. Frankly Mass Effect 1 with the Mako exploration is more interesting than what is presented in Starfield. And that's a pretty bad indictment considering that people hated the Mako. Yet still, every planet with Mako exploration has more to do on it than Starfield does.
I actually liked the Mako Exploration, that was what originally sold ME1 to me, before getting to that point I was ready to quit the game. In fact I actually did quit it, and only picked it up again at the insistence of others. The only thing I miss in Starfield is the vehicle to speed up things instead of having to walk for minutes to get anywhere.
I play a game to tell me a compelling story. If it also has real choice (RPG), then I like that aspect too. I have little to no interest in a walking simulator. Starfield keeps insisting on itself that something cooler or bigger is coming and it never does. Like Fallout 3/4 and Skyrim before it, the only people who really enjoy these Todd Howard games are despite of the game and not because of it. You find your own fun inside of the engine. Troll enemies (shout people off of cliffs, break the game engine's stealth, or whatever). Throw on 10,000 mods, etc. And I suppose if that's what makes a good game for you, fine.
There are very few games that I enjoy that does not have compelling stories, and Oblivion, Fallout 3, 4, Skyrim, Starfield fall directly into that category. I don't think any of them has a compelling main story. What they have however is compelling and immersive world building. Completing the main story was always my least favorite thing in them. I'd start multiple characters and just explore to see what I can find. Point to somewhore on the map and go there, to see what's there. That sense of freedom doesn't exist in many games, especially not in a compelling way.
But Starfield has nothing interesting to say (as in the story is garbage that is stapled on with no depth behind its M. Night Shyamalan twist), no exemplary game mechanics (as they are a patch-work design). Meaning things like difficulty, leveling, combat, collection, construction, are all a total mess. So both halves of the game offer nothing, story or mechanics. For people wanting to play an actual game, it barely rates. It looks pretty enough, and it's reasonably stable, but that's more or less where the positives end. And I think players and reviewers are figuring out that these games' lack of depth is in fact a bug and not a feature.
The mechanics of a game outside of hardcore sims and strategy games is a means to an end and not the end itself to me. There has to be something that makes it interesting, and if that is compelling I can tolerate even outright terrible mechanics. Most of the time the end that justify the means is the story, in Bethesda games that is the freedom of exploration. I'm not saying Starfield's mechanics are terrible, not by a longshot. The shooting is great imo, the space flight and combat also. Comparatively Fallout3's mechanics are god awful and I still enjoyed that game for the exploration, probably more so than New Vegas which tried to tell a more compelling story, but lacked the greater sense of freedom of F3.
Anyway, I'm done. I think you like this game because you like Todd Howard games, and not because you can reasonably justify that it is good.
What is not justifiable is trying to convince me that what I like is objectively bad. It's akin to calling me stupid for liking the wrong thing. It's OK to not like Starfield without trying to paint it as a horrible game.
For whatever reason Starfield pushed your proverbial buttons, but this game offers players nothing really new. ME1, Outer Worlds, No Man's Sky, Elite: Dangerous, heck even Star Citizen are doing more interesting in space than this game. If you love it, that's fine. But I don't think it serves you or anyone else if you're starting from the place that the criticisms levied against Starfield aren't deserved.
I never suggested it offered anything groundbreaking, although the ship builder is pretty unique. And most of the criticism is deserved, heck I criticised many things in it myself. But there is a huge disconnect between fair criticism and trying to paint the game as if it is unplayable garbage that is much worse than previous Bethesda games.

Exactly, IP is great, but you need talent and resources to make any use of it. Microsoft has the money to hire those, but software development is one of those things you can throw endless supplies of money at and still get nothing. You need a very specific set of Managerial skills to wrangle a crapload of neuro spicy software developers to get a workable product out of them. Small teams are easier, but takes a long long time produce results and that is counter to how corporate math dictates a project should work. So the only option is to throw manpower at it but you always end up with a too many cooks situation.
Good management makes great software, and good managers are really hard to find.
That describes Amazon Games to a T. Outside of the games they have localized from the SEA region, they have yet to put out a game that has been successful despite throwing money at some of the best talent in the industry.
If it was memorable you should be able to describe it. When I say that Fallout 3/4 has a giant robot that spews out propaganda about democracy, you'd know what I'm talking about.

Ideally it should be both rewarding in both adventure and item. Visiting the underground caves would usually reward you with something cool and unique surroundings. If you reward me in only scenery then I won't come back again. Reward me in items only then I'll come back and call it a grind. Reward me with both and I call it a good game. This is why I watch videos of Skyrim lore because I wanted to know what happened.

View: https://youtu.be/8XNlA888PCI?si=AutRTIJvXvIf9xJy

The problem with that is that I would be looking at every planet because I would think there's hidden treasure or at least something interesting to see. You know what other game that made this mistake? Well there was No Man's Sky, but I mean Mass Effect 1. You could land on planets and explore nothing.

View: https://youtu.be/B93HIL27o2E?si=WU8LxpUZPfMlXkX1

Or just don't allow me to explore a planet that wasn't meant to be explored. In Mass Effect 2 they allow you to scan planets and if there's something of value you can land on it. Also the music helps.

View: https://youtu.be/cpB2RkrelQE?si=7keFOecH8pJcfBCh

Your taste in games is not well received. AC Odyssey has a user rating of 6.6, which if I remember had micro-transactions and limited players progression unless they did a lot of boring side quests. AC Valhalla got a 7.2, but I never played this game so I wouldn't know why it wasn't well received. Ghost Recon Wildlands got a 6.5. Breakpoint got a 3.2. :dead: Where as the games I consider good get much higher scores. Skyrim has a user rating of 8.6. Baldur's Gate 3 has a 8.9. Fallout 3 has a 8.5. Fallout 4 got a 6.8, which is the lowest of my choices. Fallout New Vegas got a 8.8.

So either people like outdated game design or people don't like bad game design. Starfield has a 7.0 from users on Metacritic.
View attachment 622869

AC Odyssey has an 89% positive ratio on Steam, which I give much more weight to than Metacritic since most people tend to rate something a 1 or 10 anyway when given that scale. Other Steam ratios:

Code:
                  Assassin's Creed Valhalla:  71%
         Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands:  80%
        Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint:  70%
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition:  94%
                            Baldur's Gate 3:  96%
        Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition:  79%
                                  Fallout 4:  83%
                         Fallout: New Vegas:  96%
                                  Starfield:  65%

Either way, Starfield is sitting at the peak of Mt. Mediocre along with most Ubisoft games.
Immersive sim is a genre of games, it has nothing to do with being exact simulations of reality like a flight sim for example.

"An immersive sim is a video game genre that emphasizes player choice. Its core, defining trait is the use of simulated systems that respond to a variety of player actions which, combined with a comparatively broad array of player abilities, allow the game to support varied and creative solutions to problems"

It is better in every metric than FO4. You could argue that the story or the setting is worse but that's just a matter of taste and opinion, not something that can be judged objectively.

Yes, this is a trend and not just in videogames, people listen to their favorite "influencer" and pass on their second hand opinion as if it was their own. So one person missing the mark (or deliberately going for hate bait) can skew the entire perception of a product. Of course you could argue that the steam reviewers must have played the game so it is not second hand opinion, but how many of those negative reviews are by those with 100+ hours in the game? I find it laughable that someone spends 100 hours in a game that they don't like or enjoy. Not recommending a game after getting 100 hours of entertainment out of it, is pretty bad consumer advice. And also how many of those reviews are just pettyness because it's trendy now to dogpile on Bethesda? Or written after 10 minutes in the game based in confirmation bias? Of course there must be some people who genuinely dislike the game, but I doubt anyone who enjoyed previous Bethesda RPGs would fall into that category. And if you are giving a "not recommended" to a game after spending 150 hours in it, just what are you doing? You are either lying and enjoyed the game, or a mazochist for playing a terrible game for that long.
Alien Isolation is a first-person survival horror. In most situations you do not have a way of progressing outside of the one intended design by the developers. That is not an immersive sim.

The new Fallout games to me felt... soulless. I was never compelled to continue the story and instead just ran around for about 10 hours doing random stuff. Eventually I started building bases and then got bored with farming stuff to build my bases. The quests were never really that interesting. The NPCs never really felt that interesting. The environments and "dungeons", while cool at first, got old quick as it felt like I was just playing a Skyrim mod. The last hour or two I played I messed around with infinite resource cheats to just build massive base areas... and then I uninstalled never to play again. There is something about the way that the Creation Engine feels that, like I said above in another post, just feels old. I also dont like the way that NPCs and environments adjust based on your level - I remember a mod for Skyrim that changed the levels/teirs of enemies that spawn in a dungeon and it made the game more enjoyable.

If Starfield was shoehorned into even the aging REDengine then it would have been way better. Maybe part of the problem is that the devs are dead inside just like modern film makers.

You don't need to farm in order to build your base. You could have also built it using scavenged materials. There are so many ways to play FO4 and it's such a massive and well crafted game. You owe it to yourself to revisit it and spend more time understanding the game's mechanics.

I said I wouldn't make another post, so I'm being hypocritical here, but also because I suppose I have a bee in my bonnet about "subjectivity" and "objectivity".
What is not justifiable is trying to convince me that what I like is objectively bad. It's akin to calling me stupid for liking the wrong thing.
Only if you take it that way. You keep overlooking my analogy about McDonald's: the thing many people love but also know is terrible. You can like things that are bad. Many people do.

Put in a much more harsh way, if I served you a literal turd sandwich and had you actually eat it: would you not say it's terrible? Or would you defend it on the grounds that coprophiliacs like it? Should we not criticize turd sandwiches based on trying to not make a certain subset of the population feel bad? Is eating literal feces not objectively bad to you?

This entire chain started because you were incredulous that people 'hate' this game that you 'love' and that you felt it wasn't a fair rating:
I still don't get all the hate Starfield is getting. Blanket statements like "it is trash and boring" are meaningless to me. How is it worse than Fallout 4 or Skyrim? To me it seems to be an improvement on almost all fronts compared to those games.
So, which is it? Are we going to talk about this game in an objective fashion or is the only thing that ’exists’ here subjective opinion? Because we can't have it both ways.

I'm saying it's trash, objectively. If you want to then flip the script and say that's an unfair determination because only a subjective view ”is possible”: fine, then have it. But then you absolutely cannot complain that there are other "subjective opinions" that call the game trash; because then what you're saying is that my "objective stance" is in actuality "just" a subjective opinion. Comparing it to other titles is irrelevant, in fact you cannot compare it to other titles because then you're trying to bring objectivity to a subjective assessment. An opinion is an opinion.

If all of this is subjective in the first place, then you should absolutely not be offended in any way shape or form when everyone takes a dump on it. Otherwise you're just upset that people don't like what you like. Just play your game and be happy and go on your merry way.

This is also in light that you have called other people out for their "subjective opinions":
Don't try and tell me this is all about subjectivity then also get upset at other people for their "subjective opinions". As you also cannot call out "falsities" in a subjective discussion. Only an objective one. Trying to get him to compare and contrast is trying to place objective reasons on a subjective discussion.

Or, you could accept: there are many objective determinations can be made on all of the arts. Does that mean preferences do not exist? Of course not, but it's also a fallacy to say that there is no difference between writing, mechanics, coding, art, graphics, animation, sound, music, etc other than "subjective opinion". As if bad coding can't be criticized. Or poor writing can't be criticized. Even music can be codified, not just in complexity, but also emotively and how it makes people feel and effective usage of themes, etc. It should be obvious that if you rate me hitting a keyboard with hammers randomly higher than Tchaikovsky then yeah, your ability to even rate things "subjectively" is poor. There are tens of billions of hours placed into music, music theory, mathematics, writing, production, sound design, etc over the course of thousands of years. And that's just for one of these arts mentioned.

It would be subjective to call Mozart greater than Bach. However, "what is Chopin's greatest piece/masterwork" will still only have 3-5 pieces in contention. So even in "disagreement" between critics, there is far more agreed upon than not. There may be a disagreement about in which order, but not about which deserve to be in the top.

And it's only possible to come to those sorts of conclusions amongst subject experts if objective determinations can be made. And that is a better way to talk about "subjective" taste while being "objective" about quality.

It's OK to not like Starfield without trying to paint it as a horrible game.
It's also okay to call bad things bad. Whether if we're talking about from an objective standpoint or a subjective one.

Last edited:
I said I wouldn't make another post, so I'm being hypocritical here, but also because I suppose I have a bee in my bonnet about "subjectivity" and "objectivity".
All opinions are subjective, but you are trying to frame the opinion that Starfield is horrrible as objective.
Only if you take it that way. You keep overlooking my analogy about McDonald's: the thing many people love but also know is terrible. You can like things that are bad. Many people do.
What? I even responded to it. People who eat MCD food don't think it's bad, they think it tastes great. Some know they shouldn't because it's bad for your health, but that doesn't mean they think it is bad in general.
Put in a much more harsh way, if I served you a literal turd sandwich and had you actually eat it: would you not say it's terrible? Or would you defend it on the grounds that coprophiliacs like it? Should we not criticize turd sandwiches based on trying to not make a certain subset of the population not feel bad?
But the thing is that many steam reviewers are apparently happily eating Starfield and then claim it is a turd. I'm sorry, but if someone spends 100 hours in a game and then turns around and tells me it is a turd, I don't believe they are being genuine.
To reference your world famous MCD analogy. It's as if someone eats McDonalds every day but when asked to review it says: "food is terrible, don't eat there"
This entire chain started because you were incredulous that people 'hate' this game that you 'love' and that you felt it wasn't a fair rating:
It started with me not understanding why they hate it so much and why is it considered much worse than Skyrim, "It's bad M'kay" is not a meaningful answer to that question.
So, which is it? Are we going to talk about this game in an objective fashion or is the only thing that matters here subjective opinion? Because we can't have it both ways.
Which is what? All opinions are subjective, I want to know the objective reasons through which people arrive at the opinion that it is trash.
I'm saying it's trash, objectively.
You state an opinion, putting objectively next to it won't make it objective. To be objective you must put forward a case. For example: It is trash, because having loading screens in 2023 is unacceptable. That I can understand. Of course I'll disagree that it is sufficient reason to call it trash, but at least I can see the reasoning.
If you want to then flip the script and say that's an unfair determination because only subjective view matters: fine, then have it. But then you absolutely cannot complain that there are other "subjective opinions" that call the game trash; because then what you're saying is that my "objective stance" is in actuality "just" a subjective opinion. Comparing it to other titles is irrelevant, in fact you cannot compare it to other titles because then you're trying to bring objectivity to a subjective assessment. An opinion is an opinion.
It's not that complicated I genuinely want to know what makes it trash to people, and since to me it doesn't look all that different from previous Bethesda RPGs, I inevitably assume outside factors are in play here.
If all of this is subjective in the first place, then you should absolutely not be offended in any way shape or form when everyone takes a dump on it. Otherwise you're just upset that people don't like what you like. Just play your game and be happy and go on your merry way.

This is also in light that you have called other people out for their "subjective opinions":
I specifically called out the framing. I'd not have had a problem with an opinion if it wasn't put forward as a micdrop statement, as if presenting some undeniable objective evidence.
Don't try and tell me this is all about subjectivity then also get upset at other people for their "subjective opinions". As you also cannot call out "falsities" in a subjective discussion. Only an objective one. Trying to get him to compare and contrast is trying to place objective reasons on a subjective discussion.
There are always things in discussions that can be judged objectively. Like Starfield being bad because travel is done through UI is a falsity because if it was reason enough then by definition Mass Effect would also be bad.
Or, you could accept: there are many objective determinations can be made on all of the arts. Does that mean preferences do not exist? Of course not, but it's also a fallacy to say that there is no difference between writing, mechanics, coding, art, graphics, animation, sound, music, etc other than "subjective opinion". As if bad coding can't be criticized. Or poor writing can't be criticized.
Saying it is bad is not a criticism. It is exactly the ciriticism that I'm interested in, not the declaration of an opinion that it is bad. I can clearly see that many say it is bad, what I was pondering is why.
It would be subjective to call Mozart greater than Bach. However, "what is Chopin's greatest piece/masterwork" will still only have 3-5 pieces in contention. So even in "disagreement" between critics, there is far more agreed upon than not. There may be a disagreement about in which order, but not about which deserve to be in the top.
This is exactly why declarative statemnts like "it is bad" are worthless. One person's bad is someone else's good. It is much more useful to be specific, and it is exactly those specifics I was looking for.
It's also okay to call bad things bad. Whether if we're talking about from an objective standpoint or a subjective one.
Calling something bad or good is not objective because the metrics used to come to that determination can only be subjective.

I feel like we are going in circles and not making any progress.

Alien Isolation is a first-person survival horror. In most situations you do not have a way of progressing outside of the one intended design by the developers. That is not an immersive sim.
They seem to disagree with you as well. Of course it is not the most authoritative source, but if you want agree to disagree.

I can describe them, but what's the point? For example I found a party ship, or a colony of clones, or a colony of criminals, or a lab that was fractured between two realities.
I agree that ideally it should be both.
That's exactly what I mean, you approach it with the explicit knowledge that it is a game. That is already a conscious breaking of the fourth wall. I approach it as if it was reality, because in reality you wouldn't go through every planet systematically thinking "god must have put something on this planet to find". You probably won't be surprised that I liked exploration in ME1. I was disappointed that they replaced it with the scanning minigame in ME2.
Or just don't allow me to explore a planet that wasn't meant to be explored.
That is exactly what makes it more interesting to me. That you might find something of interest or might not, you take a gander and it either pays off or it doesn't. That's actually like being an explorer. The alternative when you can only land assured there will be a reward, that's the guided tour for tourists.
Your taste in games is not well received. AC Odyssey has a user rating of 6.6, which if I remember had micro-transactions and limited players progression unless they did a lot of boring side quests. AC Valhalla got a 7.2, but I never played this game so I wouldn't know why it wasn't well received. Ghost Recon Wildlands got a 6.5. Breakpoint got a 3.2. :dead:
Yes Ubisoft first introduced the concept of "time savers" in Odyssey that probably negatively influenced the score, I hated that too, but the game was enjoyable despite of it. And they also made the female protagonist canon, which probably made some people downvote the game also. AC Valhalla was actually a worse game imo but still good enough for me to enjoy. Ghost Recon Wildlands is one of my favorite games of all time exactly because It doesn't revolve around the player character, you don't feel like the world was designed with you in mind. Breakpoint was badly recieved because the trend chasing idiots at Ubisoft turned it into a looter shooter, I hated it originally too, but later they released a patch undoing the damage, making it almost as good as Wildlands.
With the exception of BG3 which I did not play I think those are good games as well.
People don't expect more realistic game design. Beyond Two Souls fell into the same trap 10 years ago. Almost everything you do in that game is a seamless decision with consequences. But most people who played it thought the story is linear and whatever they did was the only way to progress. This is why quantic dream "spoiled" the mechanic in Detroit Become human by adding training wheels to clearly show decision points in the story. Sometimes the children really are just too dumb to notice superior game design.

Last edited:
Back