Stardock CEO: DX11 vs. DX12 = 13fps vs. 120fps

Zarathustra[H];1041439578 said:
It depends.

When DX11 introduced multithreading, and the drivers finally got around to supporting it it made a HUGE difference in some titles, and not very much of a difference in others.

At that time, I was playing Red Orchestra II a lot. It is a very CPU intensive game because of all the bullet physics on large servers, and was even worse back then, asn the code has been heavily optimized since.

I was on an AMD Phenom II x6 1090T at the time, so the individual cores weren't the strongest, but it did have 6 cores, a lot for the time.

With this combination, as soon as the multithreaded driver support was added , I saw substantial performance improvement. In other titles that didn't task the CPU as much, it had no real effect at all. I'd also imagine on an Intel based system with stronger per core performance, the effect would also have been smaller.

That's pretty awesome you got benefits. I've been running the driver for a while now, and even talking to friends and others around the web there wasn't much to talk about honestly. Do you have something other then Red Orchestra II that saw a benefit? I don't have that game (don't really want to buy it either) and I kind of want to try it out.

It ups the FPS for NVIDIA cards in StarWarm when it is on comapred to off...hence it matters.

Stress tests do not matter.

AMD's DX12 talk is tomorrow: http://developer.amd.com/community/events/amd-gdc-2015/

DirectX 12: A New Meaning for Efficiency and Performance
Thursday, March 5, 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.

Direct3D 12 adds key new rendering features such as multiple queues for asynchronous compute and DMA, and the ultra-performance API both eliminates performance bottlenecks and enables new techniques. AMD will talk about the key interactions between the new D3D12 capabilities and AMD hardware and how to get the best from both. This session will include live demos. Attendee will learn more about how to use the D3D12 API and see how the combination of D3D12 and AMD graphics brings console performance and features to the PC.

Speaker(s): Dave Oldcorn, Software Engineering Fellow, AMD; Stephan Hodes, Developer Technology Engineer, AMD; Max McMullen, Principal Development Lead, Microsoft; Dan Baker, Graphics Architect, Oxide Games.

Oh shit. Here we go....

Yeah, whatever marketing genius wrote that needs to be re-educated.

That's sortof like saying "How Ford will bring tricycle performance and features to sports cars"

But I know I am preaching to the choir here.

If AMD wants to turn my PC into a console, then I have no interest in ever buying their products again :p

Zarathustra[H];1041436944 said:
It bothered me a little, but my bigger annoyance was the frequent handheld camera shots bouncing around that almost made me seasick.

That - and the whole alternate universe discontinuity of the story line. That really pissed me off.

I thought the alternate timeline was a good idea. It fit right in with the Star Trek tradition of screwing around with the timeline. The only real divergence was that they weren't attempting to set it right after screwing it up in the first place. Also, they didn't have goatees.

Back