Starcraft II

definitely the hardest road to winning any tournament. taking out 2 of the strongest terrans in the world. may he perform well in the upcoming r8. the chances of him winning gsl is looking decent but those are not bo3.

Oh man MMA vs DRG in the GSL Blizzard Cup 2011 was the most intense tournament finals EVER in SC2! What an amazing way to close out the year of SC2 games!

Anyone have any suggestions on some good games to watch for someone who hasn't been following SC2 since like... September? It's been so long, I'm sure I've missed a bunch of epic games, and I've got plenty of time to watch some over break.

You can start with that DRG/MMA match they're talking about if you have the means to see it. It's the single best series there's been since the game's release.

I'd have to think harder going back past that. There have certainly been some epic matches though. I'll try and come up with some sort of list from the last couple months if I can.

That would be quite kind of you. I actually just found a post on reddit with a brief list of suggestions. Granted, it spans the entire year instead of just three months, but it's something to start with.

Anyone been watching MLG? Went to a barcraft (http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/3516048/BarCraft™_-_Blizzard_Gaming_in_Your_Town-9_16_2011) today with a buddy and it was a lot of fun. I have never watched an MLG game and I dont really play much SC2 online but it was a fun experience watching it on a movie theatre screen. It was weird/awkward/sad when Huk was crying a few times, I feel bad for the guy, he definitely has some emotional problems.

Edit: I also wanted to say how fun it is to watch that Marine King guy play, man he is good.

Last edited:
All in all very impressed with MLG's first event for the year.

I'm hoping to be in Columbus next month for the Winter Championship in person :D

Lots of pro players get emotional during tournaments, HuK isn't an exception.

I guess, they played an interview with him beforehand which seemed like he had some weird stuff going on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k76K12OByNI and then his reaction at the tournament. Anyway, I dont watch many and really do not have a lot to go off of. Long story short, if you have a barcraft in your area, I recommend it.

I guess, they played an interview with him beforehand which seemed like he had some weird stuff going on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k76K12OByNI and then his reaction at the tournament. Anyway, I dont watch many and really do not have a lot to go off of. Long story short, if you have a barcraft in your area, I recommend it.

From that interview it does sound like he has some stuff going on in his personal life... I'm not really gonna poke into that.

But in general, (especially the Koreans), you will see tears (of joy and disappointment) from these tournaments.

We've been trying to get a barcraft going in this area, but I just watched the matches with some people at a friend's place. Much cheaper than each person shelling out $20.

I didn't see anything in that interview that wasn't totally normal for Huk. He's always like that.

Anyone been watching MLG? Went to a barcraft (http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/3516048/BarCraft™_-_Blizzard_Gaming_in_Your_Town-9_16_2011) today with a buddy and it was a lot of fun. I have never watched an MLG game and I dont really play much SC2 online but it was a fun experience watching it on a movie theatre screen. It was weird/awkward/sad when Huk was crying a few times, I feel bad for the guy, he definitely has some emotional problems.

Edit: I also wanted to say how fun it is to watch that Marine King guy play, man he is good.

Yeah, the fans love MKP, I'm glad that he managed to win against the next GSL finalist (perhaps even champion if he can win next week). If this is your first MLG experience, then you definitely want to watch all the excitement from their main events with a live crowd. They're also free to watch live online as well (you pay for HD streams and VoDs I think). I heard that this MLG "side tournament" was rather awkward without the live audience.

Here's a popular pre-mature GG from Idra back in the Columbus tournament last year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yOw-hYMbDY

Last edited:
^^lmao idra, kill your own cc to force a gg! speaking of which, we can't leave out the classic match of idra v huk at mlg dallas, the infamous gg forced with all hallucinated void rays, when idra was actually ahead:

huk in action @ 1-0 idra up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40ccy9kljvI

the aftermath @ 1-1 tied, idra goes on tilt and loses the match (zoomed in was actual banter in game chat, umad?):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ4PCX2AYtY

and KING FTW! this was a preview of gsl I think, genius will take first over drg I'm calling it now.

Here's a popular pre-mature GG from Idra back in the Columbus tournament last year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yOw-hYMbDY

My favorite part of this was and always will be DjWheat's reaction.

u4EMH.gif

Anyone try out that new Blizzard custom map "Starcraft Master"? It's kind of like the single player challen modes but much more difficult. I managed to complete all 30 challenges and got the achievement! :D

They honestly ruined custom games in this. I remember at the start it was ok, you could search for games. Now its just this popular shit, so anything not on the first page doesnt get populated. Garbage.

They honestly ruined custom games in this. I remember at the start it was ok, you could search for games. Now its just this popular shit, so anything not on the first page doesnt get populated. Garbage.

Supposedly that part of the interface is getting re-done yet again either in the next big patch pre-heart of the swarm, or for/after its release.

Supposedly that part of the interface is getting re-done yet again either in the next big patch pre-heart of the swarm, or for/after its release.

Hopefully, that would make it much better. I hope they also fix the issues with performance. My GPU usage goes down when there are tons of units on the screen and it lags..max gpu usage is 50%, wtf :/

Hopefully, that would make it much better. I hope they also fix the issues with performance. My GPU usage goes down when there are tons of units on the screen and it lags..max gpu usage is 50%, wtf :/

this is logical when it's a cpu problem you're having, the game relies way more heavily on processor power for rendering than your gpu. so when your frames dip because of that, it will show a drop in gpu usage as well. you'll never see this game max out a high end modern gpu unless you got some funky anemic multi-monitor setup or custom profile, just wasn't balanced that way. probably the low clock/quad config of your bloomfield cores holding you back, sc2 is not all that good at multicore affinity.

this is logical when it's a cpu problem you're having, the game relies way more heavily on processor power for rendering than your gpu. so when your frames dip because of that, it will show a drop in gpu usage as well. you'll never see this game max out a high end modern gpu unless you got some funky anemic multi-monitor setup or custom profile, just wasn't balanced that way. probably the low clock/quad config of your bloomfield cores holding you back, sc2 is not all that good at multicore affinity.

It's @ 4ghz, I didn't think that it would tax it that heavily :eek:

The engine must be really crappy/inefficient if a relatively modern 4ghz CPU bottlenecks it :S

I have no lag really even with a 6670, I used to run an HD 6850, gonna test a 6950. For some reason SC2 runs better with more RAM I feel like, as well. I'm running it with at least 8GB of RAM.

I have no lag really even with a 6670, I used to run an HD 6850, gonna test a 6950. For some reason SC2 runs better with more RAM I feel like, as well. I'm running it with at least 8GB of RAM.

Well ingame the usage never went about 3.8gb for me...I don't know, its just a weird game. Maybe it was the custom games I was playing, I never tried the regular game lol

Well ingame the usage never went about 3.8gb for me...I don't know, its just a weird game. Maybe it was the custom games I was playing, I never tried the regular game lol

Well a lot of the custom games are poorly coded and seem to lag really badly, yes.

yea also true, many custom games dev by amateurs just pile on an absurd amount effects for every unit, with zero concern for playable framerates on mainstream rigs, even with a decent cpu you're going to lag on those.

I'm surprised this is a whine fest. Do any h-ers still play ladder? 1v1 matchmaking definitely got better

I'm surprised this is a whine fest. Do any h-ers still play ladder? 1v1 matchmaking definitely got better

I play! I actually just made the jump from Gold to Platinum. :)

Also got into watching the e-sports scene a couple months ago, it's extremely entertaining!

Haven't played the game in months. Pretty much waiting for HOTS to come out.

Same. Played some during the fall when my company's AHGL team was forming and we held some tournaments. I made the team but largely stopped playing after that. We have a ton of very good players.

While I'm at it, shameless plug for my company, Epic Systems, for winning the AHGL this season.

That's really cool! I'm hoping to rebuild the Collegiate Star League presence here at my school.

Just think it's awesome to see people playing in public leagues and tourneys like that. :)

Last edited:
I gave up playing shortly after the only two friends of mine that really played both quit around the same time. After that the only way I could 1v1 regularly was ladder and I kind of hate ladder. I'd rather play people I know. So I quit. Now I just watch a little more of the pro scene.

I wish the custom game scene wasn't such a shit show. You're only able to fill games on the first page. Its stupid. I know they are fixing it but still, frustrating.

I booted it up recently to try and get some of the single player achvs and unlock some portraits, that shit is hard though.

Back