Starcraft II

Well a certain pro-gamer said it best: if you want to practice your micro, play team games because you will get cheesed every single match.

I don't really see any cheese in 4v4 diamond lately. Typically it goes into macro games or a 4 person all-in. Have to expect a rush, so builds change accordingly.

Is it me, or Zerg is now the most popular race in SC2? Of the ~10 4v4's that I've played since the reset, Zerg has been by far the most popular race. WTF? Before it was normal for me to be the only Zerg in the game, and now? I play with 4-5 Zerg players almost every game.

Not in 1v1s

I know of a few people that are doing two zergs that ten pool all in, and two terrans that 3 rax all in that are 43-1 in 4v4 masters. Most people are choosing zerg because when they combine their cheese it becomes an amalgamation producing that sharpest of cheddars that cannot be ignored. :D :D :D

So, is there a way of stopping this?

Just have one person send an early worker to check for all-ins. If you scout at 10 or 11 food you'll start seeing the people who don't plan to pump workers. Then you just respond appropriately with bunkers or an extra sentry or two for defense. At that point you'll likely have a few more workers and better production capabilities in addition to knowing you need that extra defense.

In theory... sure
In practice... unlikely

4v4 has always been a format like that. I had a 90% win rate in 4's before the reset mostly due to just cheesing over and over again. My record with my 'cheese buddies' was something like 70-5 across two teams (one member changed). Although my choice of cheddar was the reaper type pre-nerf while my teammates did any combination of 6/7 pools, cannon rushes, proxy gates, etc. The only times we lost were against other teams with the same mentality... and they had 2 terrans going reapers :p

Last edited:
Old, but...

A marine walks into a bar and asks where the counter is.

The barkeep replies, "there is no counter'

2VTvc.jpg

Its only when he has make up. Normally he looks very awkward and he's slouching during interviews or seems very uneasy.. especially after his little workout stunt lol.

It must be an interesting feeling to sit through a moment like that and then know, instantly after it happens, that thousands of animated gifs and youtube videos are being made to immortalize it forever.

and that lifeless sc2 trolls all over the internets will dedicate every waking moment to spamming them, finally having found something to do with their time outside the game.

check out one of his practice sessions on jtv some time just for the lulz if anything, you will see trolls who do nothing but sit there all day spamming him. I think some loser even had an irc script that just repeated the same troll over and over again every minute the whole time he was on, or he actually sat there pasting it himself, kind of scary. it's funny at first but gets kind of sad after a while.

and that lifeless sc2 trolls all over the internets will dedicate every waking moment to spamming them, finally having found something to do with their time outside the game.

check out one of his practice sessions on jtv some time just for the lulz if anything, you will see trolls who do nothing but sit there all day spamming him. I think some loser even had an irc script that just repeated the same troll over and over again every minute the whole time he was on, or he actually sat there pasting it himself, kind of scary. it's funny at first but gets kind of sad after a while.

He usually bans people who do that, yeah? It was pretty well behaved and locked down the last time I watched his stream a few weeks ago. The only trolling I saw was from his in-game opponents who would call him "grack" and use smiley faces and then rush him. Then "fuck you Blizzard" and ragequit. :(

I can't imagine how annoying his jtv chat channel would be with constant troll spam.

Yeah, if you're going to watch his stream it's best to just try and never look at the JTV chat at all.

But then that goes for a lot of the SC2 streams. And the internet in general really :p

Best to avoid all internet chats in general, unless there is a specific purpose(i.e. looking for games). They're really quite terrible.

anyone know when day9 comes on? and a direct link to his site. i'm in dallas, and I think i stumble on it when he was actually doing a live cast, but that was like 10pm, but he mentioned that he does it at 7pm? (i don't know where he lives)

got a chance to meet him at MLG dallas though

anyone know when day9 comes on? and a direct link to his site. i'm in dallas, and I think i stumble on it when he was actually doing a live cast, but that was like 10pm, but he mentioned that he does it at 7pm? (i don't know where he lives)

got a chance to meet him at MLG dallas though

10PM EST

Just played my first 1v1 ladder game since the reset....

Went random, got Terran against a random Protoss.

... Won, placed into Masters.

I'm about to scream now... I played like 30 games in a row when masters was first introduced trying to get masters. I didn't get there so I stopped bothering. Sigh.

Just watched an epic TvZ on the GSL.

IMNestea pulls off an extremely close victory against Scfou. It was so popular that it became a trending topic on twitter shorty after it ended

Just played my first 1v1 ladder game since the reset....

Went random, got Terran against a random Protoss.

... Won, placed into Masters.

I'm about to scream now... I played like 30 games in a row when masters was first introduced trying to get masters. I didn't get there so I stopped bothering. Sigh.

LOL! You got into Masters based off of 1 game? I'm guessing your opponent was also Masters ranked?

LOL! You got into Masters based off of 1 game? I'm guessing your opponent was also Masters ranked?

The MMR required to get into the various leagues shifted some when they took the top 200 out and threw them into Grand Master's. Could be something as simple as that. I know a lot of people who were stuck at #1 in their platinum division that went on winning streaks against Diamond players and still never got promoted, but then after the reset they'd get on, lose a game and still get promoted to Diamond.

Just watched an epic TvZ on the GSL.

IMNestea pulls off an extremely close victory against Scfou. It was so popular that it became a trending topic on twitter shorty after it ended

That was one of the best Starcraft games I've ever seen. Total edge-of-your-seat slugfest.

I honestly thought Nestea was done for. His play defined "Never Give Up, Never Surrender". SC gave him the fight of his life.

The MMR required to get into the various leagues shifted some when they took the top 200 out and threw them into Grand Master's. Could be something as simple as that. I know a lot of people who were stuck at #1 in their platinum division that went on winning streaks against Diamond players and still never got promoted, but then after the reset they'd get on, lose a game and still get promoted to Diamond.

The MMR shift probably has nothing to do with grand masters.

The MMR requirements for leagues has always been X% of active players. The grand masters league has a more specialized formula that Blizz used to determine top 200 (there's a big discussion on it on TL).

But in terms of bronze, silver, gold, plat, diamond, and masters it's just a set percentage of active players (20% for all except diamond is 18% and masters is 2%). That said, the active player base is constantly changing. The reason the higher leagues are harder to get into is that those players in general stay more active (and why bronze has such a large player base despite technically being the same percentage as the higher leagues).

One of my friends who was diamond pre-reset got placed in platinum despite winning his game. He's played a ton of games since then and hasn't been promoted to diamond. I think this is partly because he cheesed (scv + marine rush) into diamond and then played some games for real. He actually lost rating and was literally borderline going to get demoted before the reset. Another friend of mine got placed in silver despite being gold pre-reset. He doesn't really care either way though.

Well MMR wasn't reset, so that 1 game was just a "are you still alive?" check. So sometime between last season and this season my MMR moved into the cutoff range, either from that 1 game or it was already there based off the current active players while it wasn't before the reset (or was so very close...).

The Nestea vs. Fou game was simply amazing. I thought Nestea would eventually lose with his third base as his achilles' heel... but he defend it over and over again. The long reinforcement distance contributed to that. His hidden base at the end that Fou just didn't find in time pretty much saved his ass as well.

A while back I got promoted to Plat 4v4, and the games got less fun. While in Gold, there was some strategy involved in every game that I played. Other people actually tried different builds and shit, but for whatever reason, in Plat all I see is people just rushing to the latest tech and massing Collosus/Thor/BL's. Hell... I'd appreciate a good canon/ling rush or something.

Then again, I don't play a lot, only about 35 games since the reset, so my statistical analysis isn't very accurate.

Idra's my favorite. I've been watching a lot of pro SC2 lately and it got me back into the game. I switched to Zerg to be more like Idra :lol.

He'll be guest commenting the NASL matches this week. Should be great.

I really don't understand ladder
I play 2vs2 with a friend 2 or 3 times a day... win rate is 2 out of 3 usually

Yet, we were demoted from Gold 45 to silver 16 and then to silver 60 even after winning every match.. the fuckk is wrong

Lots of new HotS info just released:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=228212

Well I wouldn't say "a lot" but decent enough as a teaser.

I hope this isn't a letdown. From "26 to 30 missions" down to "about 20 missions" since wings of liberty was released. It looks like they're RPG'ing the fuck out of this game as well as adding micro-transactions.

It's too early to say but it looks like the original idea that you could purchase any of the 'stand-alone' games and always have access to the newest multi-player might be going out the window as well. It was never explicitly said, but it always seemed like the games were going to be released as stand-alone packages. It's definitely explicit now that you must own WoL to install and play HotS.

So, all in all, cut mission count by 20-30%, adding more bland "kill 10 yetis and collect their fur" WoW elements, micro-transactions...looks like Bobby got his grubby hands into the Blizzard pie if you ask me.

I never thought I'd say it, but I'm going to be watching as this develops, and Heart of the Swarm might just end up on my no-buy list, given how Activision-Blizzard is turning more into a monster every day.

Back