StarCraft 2 Release Date

Accidental release date leak?
I'm sorry if there is already a topic about this, or if this is old news. I did a quick search and didn't really find anything.

Best Buy seems to have a release date of 3/1/2010.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=A099604B82F869EF7DF0F6D506866252.bbolsp-app01-27?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-8144734358487135913&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=starcraft+2&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/StarCraft+II+-+Windows/8719899.p?id=1200702781643&skuId=8719899&st=starcraft%202&lp=1&cp=1

Anyone have any other news on this? Or could you tell me if this is just a placeholder that they have had up for a while?

I'd say it's just guesstimation... for now.

I remember Amazon having a November 2009 release date :eek:

Well I don't know anything about Alan Wake, but I'll assume you are using that to show me that its just a guestimation/place holder.

Thats a shame. I had my hopes up.

Yeah, I seem to remember Best Buy tossing out some release dates on other games that were a bit off.

Also, lol at the 1.3 rating for Alan Wake.

The beta isn't even out yet, so I highly doubt we'll see it before Summer 2010.

Best Buy seems to have a release date of 3/1/2010.

I believe MW2 will have Dedicated Servers before SC2 comes out in 3 months, or that Codemasters will release the extra cars to the pc that were released on the consoles.

thats definitely not gonna happen. It'll be that long until the first beta ends.

bestbuy always does this with bogus release dates hopping it will stir up constomers to get them to go into the stores.. maybe 1 in 10 predicted release dates are correct from them..

Meh, it's Blizzard. They're known for never being on time with ANY of their products... why should that change now?

Case in point: Blizzard announced that Diablo 3 was in production... in late 2007 / early 2008. Seriously, guys.

Gamestop does the same thing. These are all just marketing ploys to get you to buy the product now. Nothing is legit until the producer's say so.

Meh, it's Blizzard. They're known for never being on time with ANY of their products... why should that change now?

Case in point: Blizzard announced that Diablo 3 was in production... in late 2007 / early 2008. Seriously, guys.

Blizzard doesn't really set "launch dates" for their products these days (or did they ever set a deadline they couldn't meet?). This is very apparent with their content patches for WoW. They're better off people being restless and anticipating something rather than expecting it at a specific time only to be met with delays. Most of the time, it's just an expected timeframe that people make up, or even an expected timeframe from someone working at Blizzard (not an official announcement).

if the WoW expansion and Starcraft2 both come out in 2010...... which would release first? they wont release both in the same quarter.

Blizzard doesn't really set "launch dates" for their products these days (or did they ever set a deadline they couldn't meet?). This is very apparent with their content patches for WoW. They're better off people being restless and anticipating something rather than expecting it at a specific time only to be met with delays. Most of the time, it's just an expected timeframe that people make up, or even an expected timeframe from someone working at Blizzard (not an official announcement).

Yep. They do.

Last year, a Blizzard employee announced that the patch 1.13 for Diablo 2 was going to be released on April 2009. 7 months after the announcement, that is, in November 2009, the beta version of 1.13 was released. Beta. Not even a full 1.13, beta.

This is just one example. I'm sure I could dig up some more, but I just wanted to make a point about how Blizzard never actually met their deadline or released a product on time.

Yep. They do.

Last year, a Blizzard employee announced that the patch 1.13 for Diablo 2 was going to be released on April 2009. 7 months after the announcement, that is, in November 2009, the beta version of 1.13 was released. Beta. Not even a full 1.13, beta.

This is just one example. I'm sure I could dig up some more, but I just wanted to make a point about how Blizzard never actually met their deadline or released a product on time.

Ah I see. I'll have to look for the source of that. Was it a real official deadline? Those are usually specific, down to the day of release. There's quite a distinct difference between "Ok, we're shooting for an April release date" and "Coming in April 16, 2009"

Dude retail stores always make up bogus release dates just to get as many pre-orders as possible.

By now it should be obvious that they are false, especially when the game is from one of those companies (like id, valve, blizzard etc) which can tell publishers to go fuck themselves and tell fans "when it's done".

Just wait until the actual developer announces an official release date, anything else is just bullshit.

the longer it takes the more likely the higher ups (cough Activision) will force Blizzard to release during the holiday season 2010

Wait 3+ more years for this game to come out. They love to take their sweet time.

the longer it takes the more likely the higher ups (cough Activision) will force Blizzard to release during the holiday season 2010

I pray that isn't the case. They ruined my favorite FPS, please don't ruin my favorite RTS :(

Yeah I think it's really unethical for them to post tentative release dates like that. All that I know is that game always comes out relatively soon after the beta. The real time to make an educated guess comes around that time.

I hope they're not planning on charging 60 dollars for all three games...

Yeah I think it's really unethical for them to post tentative release dates like that. All that I know is that game always comes out relatively soon after the beta. The real time to make an educated guess comes around that time.

I hope they're not planning on charging 60 dollars for all three games...

They've already said that the expansions will be priced as expansions.

So $50 for StarCraft 2, and $30 each for Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void.

Gamestop does the same thing. These are all just marketing ploys to get you to buy the product now. Nothing is legit until the producer's say so.

This. They just want you to pre-order so they can play around with your money for 2 years.

Back