Starcraft 2 Beta

Yea :( after spectatinmg some customs from a high lvl terran, i want to be able to figure out the matchup better. sent you a PM.

After reading up on latest developments on Starcraft 2, it's now in the running for 'Worst Game of 2010' in my list, together with all of Ubisoft's DRM crap.

1) No LAN -> can live with that
2) Region lock -> stupid, annoying, but can live with that
3) No clan channels -> WTF?????
4) Southeast Asia version costs 109 Singapore dollars (US$78) -> And I thought Modern Failure 2 was terrible. With $78 I bought both Left 4 Dead games, TF2 and still had spare change to boot.

Thats it, I'm fucking boycotting Blizzard now. Paying more for less with heavy restrictions is always a 0/10 in my book.

After reading up on latest developments on Starcraft 2, it's now in the running for 'Worst Game of 2010' in my list, together with all of Ubisoft's DRM crap.

4) Southeast Asia version costs 109 Singapore dollars (US$78) -> And I thought Modern Failure 2 was terrible. With $78 I bought both Left 4 Dead games, TF2 and still had spare change to boot.

Thats it, I'm fucking boycotting Blizzard now. Paying more for less with heavy restrictions is always a 0/10 in my book.
yes that means it's the worst game in the world. fucking lol. pc gamers are something else.

Oh well enjoy paying $60 for it while other folks here fork out the extra then. Enjoy taking it in the can by paying more for less.

I have no idea why some console gamers like you love being skimmed of your own hard-earned cash.

Can't clans use voice? Yeah it's bad if they don't have a certain feature, but it's not Splinter Cell or that horrible.

And it's not like Blizzard doesn't patch.

While I'm fairly certain Blizzard can patch those features in, it's not the big dealbreaker. I can't see why they're charging such an exhorbitant price, even steeper than the US version (approx. 78 USD vs 60 USD). Given that most of Southeast Asia excluding Singapore has a piracy problem this is Blizzard shooting themselves in the foot. Or maybe Activision and their money loving pig of a CEO. If I have to pay so much for a game, I'd might as well grab multiple games off Steam sales instead. There's also no reason for them to charge 50% more than the average A-list title here.

Also, while Blizzard does roll out patches, I'm still uncertain as to who's hosting the Southeast Asian SC2 Battle.net servers. If it's Blizzard that's fine. If it's the local distributor IAH Games, then... hell, they couldn't even update Hellgate London's 0 day patch till months later, and you know how bug-infested that game was unpatched.

so..new patch came out yesterday..]

PROTOSS
Archon
Build time decreased from 17 to 12.

TERRAN
Viking
Ground damage decreased from 14 to 12.

ZERG
Corruptor
Corruption energy cost decreased from 100 to 75.

Infestor
Burrowed move speed increased from 1 to 2.
Peristalsis upgrade removed.

Overlord/Overseer
Pneumatized Carapace cost increased from 50/50 to 100/100.

Overseer
Infested Terran energy cost decreased from 125 to 100.

Roach
Organic Carapace upgrade removed.
Tunneling Claws now also increases burrowed regeneration rate from 5 to 10.

Ultralisk
Anabolic Synthesis upgrade removed.
Health increased from 450 to 500.
Speed increased from 2.25 to 2.9531.

We would like to thank everyone for taking part in the StarCraft II beta. Your contributions to the beta process have been enormous. Each game and every player who has been actively participating has made an impact on the ongoing balance of the game and every game played has brought to light any possible strengths and weaknesses of the various units and races.

While we are getting to the end of this phase of the beta, we still need your participation and feedback for our latest balance changes in patch 14. As we have in previous reports, we have taken the time to explain a bit more about the changes that have been made and our thoughts on them.

Viking - Ground damage decreased from 14 to 12.

The Viking’s damage has been reduced to make them a little less effective on the ground. Massed Vikings were a little too powerful in a few late game scenarios. Vikings have also become very dominant in terran vs. terran matches and we are testing to see if a small damage reduction will make some other units more viable.

Archon - Build time decreased from 17 to 12.

Archons can now merge a little faster so "mid battle merges" will be a little bit more practical.

Ultralisk - Anabolic Synthesis upgrade removed. - Health increased from 450 to 500.- Speed increased from 2.25 to 2.9531.

Ultralisks have been buffed to include their speed upgrade as by default and to give them a little more endurance in big fights. This may or may not be enough to get the Ultralisk ultimately where we want him to be. We will continue testing going forward.

Infestor - Burrowed move speed increased from 1 to 2. - Peristalsis upgrade removed.
Roach - Organic Carapace upgrade removed. - Tunneling Claws now also increases burrowed regeneration rate from 5 to 10.

There are many different upgrades on the zerg, the Roach and the Infestor both had three upgrades. We are reducing and combining these upgrades so the units get a little bit more powerful or so that you have to buy fewer upgrades to complete your units. We have also reduced the cost of several energy abilities on the Zerg that didn’t see a lot of use. We will continue to monitor these abilities moving forward.

ALSO! Blizzcon tickets go on sale today. $150 each. Can you resell these?

So your logic is, if it's more expensive for less I'm going to boycott the company, thus spending my valuable time, which could easily be used to just pay for the game, to boycott a company. Dude, if you don't like it, just don't buy their product. It's just business.

If that's how you see it, fine by you. But how exactly do I waste time boycotting a company? Also obviously you're not affected by the utterly ridiculous prices we're subjected to in Southeast Asia. You'd probably didn't even know of it in the first place. Just wanted to share news of the crazy price scheme with the rest of [H].

Considering that starcraft in general is much bigger in Asia than it is in the states, why not charge the premium? Like I said before, it's all business for them. I'll have to agree that it sucks for the consumer, though. Maybe consumers in asia will not purchase the game right off the bat and Blizzard will respond by making the prices equal. All we can really do is speculate at this point.

The inflated rates AFAIK only affect copies region-locked for the Southeast Asian server, IIRC. This include Australian/NZ copies too. Not Korea, thus your speculation is unfortunately incorrect.

There's already damage control being done by Blizzard in Singapore but the answers they gave was seriously lacking.

Ah well, I guess you'll be seeing more asians on the US servers then and a dead SEA server. Quite a few from a major Malaysian forum are buying the US version due to uncertainty about the CE released locally here or because of inflated prices + used to latency issues in WC3/SC1.

-No LAN kinda sucks, but just for LAN tournaments. 99% of the time it won't affect a thing (even for competitive players). Most tournaments are organized through B.net anyway, so that the players don't have to travel. So I agree there. It kind of sucks, but isn't that bad.

-Region lock is also not great. They wanted to keep people regional to lower the lag I suppose, but it didn't seem to be a huge problem in SC1 or WC3 though, and you could play cross regional on b.net 1.0. You just had to select that server. That alone seemed to be a good enough deterrent, but maybe they know something I don't. That said, if you want to play cross regional, you can use BattlePing. Works pretty well and all but negates the lag issue too. Of course it would be nice if we didn't have to use a work around, but since it lessens ping as well as allowing you to play cross regional, I guess it's not that bad.

-Chat Channels. I agree. It made organizing games and interacting with other clans/groups incredibly easy. Myself and a group of my friends would intermingle with 2 or 3 established clans all the time. All we had to do was enter their chat and we could organize practice games or do us vs them games etc, no fuss, no muss. They were very useful for clan matches as well. The party chat in B.net 2.0 just doesn't have the same usability. It is much more difficult to do things on the fly or organize any kind of tournament as it is right now.

-SE Asia cost. Dunno. Maybe there's some kind of tariff they are enforcing now, or maybe they know that Koreans are SUPER into Starcraft and wanted to gouge them. I don't know.

Now, after all that, Starcraft isn't lacking at all. The game is great. It's fun, challenging and looks fantastic (while not being a resource hog... other than using over a gig of ram). The shortcomings are all on the B.net side, not in the game play. It'd be like calling Counter Strike a terrible game because Steam didn't have a few features you want. The game is fine, it's the online service that is lacking. Of course, you really can't have one without the other, but it's still unfair to call the game bad when none of the problems you listed have anything to do with game play.

Just saying.

looking for a relatively mid-high level diamond terran player to practice my ZvT matchup. PM and i'll send you my email and we can get some customs in.

msg me if you wanna play. i just made it to rank 1 diamond, play mostly terran. my weakest match up by far is also TvZ, so i also need some practice. you can add me on bnet, account name is WhiteFireDra (lol bnet only allows a certain number of characters).

-No LAN kinda sucks, but just for LAN tournaments. 99% of the time it won't affect a thing (even for competitive players). Most tournaments are organized through B.net anyway, so that the players don't have to travel. So I agree there. It kind of sucks, but isn't that bad.

-Region lock is also not great. They wanted to keep people regional to lower the lag I suppose, but it didn't seem to be a huge problem in SC1 or WC3 though, and you could play cross regional on b.net 1.0. You just had to select that server. That alone seemed to be a good enough deterrent, but maybe they know something I don't. That said, if you want to play cross regional, you can use BattlePing. Works pretty well and all but negates the lag issue too. Of course it would be nice if we didn't have to use a work around, but since it lessens ping as well as allowing you to play cross regional, I guess it's not that bad.

-Chat Channels. I agree. It made organizing games and interacting with other clans/groups incredibly easy. Myself and a group of my friends would intermingle with 2 or 3 established clans all the time. All we had to do was enter their chat and we could organize practice games or do us vs them games etc, no fuss, no muss. They were very useful for clan matches as well. The party chat in B.net 2.0 just doesn't have the same usability. It is much more difficult to do things on the fly or organize any kind of tournament as it is right now.

-SE Asia cost. Dunno. Maybe there's some kind of tariff they are enforcing now, or maybe they know that Koreans are SUPER into Starcraft and wanted to gouge them. I don't know.

Now, after all that, Starcraft isn't lacking at all. The game is great. It's fun, challenging and looks fantastic (while not being a resource hog... other than using over a gig of ram). The shortcomings are all on the B.net side, not in the game play. It'd be like calling Counter Strike a terrible game because Steam didn't have a few features you want. The game is fine, it's the online service that is lacking. Of course, you really can't have one without the other, but it's still unfair to call the game bad when none of the problems you listed have anything to do with game play.

Just saying.

-Incorrect. The majority (probably all) of professional tournaments in SC1 were held at LANs

-Incorrect. In order to play on multiple realms people will need to buy multiple copies of the game and lock it to each region.

-Incorrect. Price in Korea is lower.

-Correct. But the difference here is blizzard has willingly chosen not to include all these features: it's not something 'left out'. That's a bigger issue than just not having it available. These are conscious choices.

Ugh what a pain.... I was playing last night with no problems

Now today it tried to update a new patch and gives me this

"The patch "pc-battlenet-hdfiles\Support\Battle.net.dll" could not be applied."

So i reinstalled SC and all the previous patches are still in my folders but it's making me re-download every single patch again... What a joke

Also can someone tell me how big their Starcraft II Beta folder is in size for them right now? I'm going on 11.5 GBs o_O

Chat channels are actually coming later.

Damn well better be. :/ The chat system in SC2 is absolutely awful. I don't understand since they're going to merge it with WoW's chat system (since you can chat between all Bnet2 games), and WoW has perfectly functional private chat channels (though not being able to keep a channel reserved/moderated/have a bot is a pita - Bnet 1 is still the best).

Also can someone tell me how big their Starcraft II Beta folder is in size for them right now? I'm going on 11.5 GBs o_O

8.00 gigs for me atm. I haven't played in a week or so though, before this last patch (so I haven't downloaded anything past patch 13).

Did anyone's placement matches reset a few days ago, and now it's not updating? My 2v2 keeps saying I have 4 placement matches left despite playing 5 last night.

Did anyone's placement matches reset a few days ago, and now it's not updating? My 2v2 keeps saying I have 4 placement matches left despite playing 5 last night.

yes i was placed in a league for 1v1 and now it says i have to do placement matches again.

-Incorrect. In order to play on multiple realms people will need to buy multiple copies of the game and lock it to each region.

Please tell me this is not true, occasionally I play on the Asia servers for WC3 FT

Please tell me this is not true, occasionally I play on the Asia servers for WC3 FT

Yes it's true. Husky mentioned it in his video... he plays with people from literally every realm, so in order to play with all his friends he'd have to spend hundreds of dollars.

Yeah it doesn't display correctly anymore. But after each match in the score screen you can still see how many points you got for the win/loss. Also checking your profile for what rank you are.

Edit: Damn. I believe they are doing the service update right now, just brought my comp over to a friends to LAN some SC2, what bad timing huh lol

Patch 15 is now live. Downloading it now. Heres the notes for those who can't get to them.

General

Improved the system that handles initial placement and promotion/relegation between Leagues & Ladders.

Balance Changes

TERRAN
Hellion
Weapon upgrade bonus decreased from 1 (+1 Light) to 1.
Reaper
Nitro Packs research cost decreased from 100/100 to 50/50.
Siege Tank
Siege Mode damage decreased from 60 to 50.
Thor
Anti-air weapon upgrade bonus decreased from 1 (+1 Light) to 1.

ZERG
Brood Lord
Weapon upgrade bonus decreased from 3 to 2.

Edit: Nvm battle.net is still down. sooooo lame.

Last edited:
What was the reason for removing the marine range upgrade btw? Anyone know? I'm trying to get back into the beta after not playing for like 1.5 months or so.

Looks like this patch also came with the database reset. Damnit, just wanna do the placement matches with my friend again.

So after the patch, even when you win 5 straight, it'll place you in platinum league first.

My 4v4 team with friends went 3-2 and we were placed in Bronze league. The lowest league with 3-2 placement matches? Something seems fishy here.

My 4v4 team with friends went 3-2 and we were placed in Bronze league. The lowest league with 3-2 placement matches? Something seems fishy here.

Sounds about right, 5-0 puts you into platinum and forces you to play to get into diamond

Sounds about right, 5-0 puts you into platinum and forces you to play to get into diamond

I threw all 5 of my matches this morning. I wasn't about to be put in Platinum again. I had enough ass kicking since the reset with Patch 13. I went 4-1 due to players trying cheese with Patch 13 and got placed Platinum. Yesterday before reset I was mid-level silver and still far below a 1:1 w/l ratio. So I figured throw my matches, start in bronze and move my way up slowly, learning more as I go.

I learn faster by losing to people my own skill level, not getting leveled by players that dwarf me. I still absolutely hate the matchmaking. My first "ladder" match today was a guy doing placement matches. Very nice guy though. Once I saw he was doing an incredible 1 base (after he did a well timed Thor drop on Scrap Station that I fought off) I asked him how the hell was he in Bronze. He said I'm doing my placement matches, I'm really a top level gold. He proceeded to crush me underfoot but gave me a gift by surrendering as I lay on my death bed.

So many thanks to him for being nice and giving me a good replay to watch. Want to see how he did what he did. :)

EDIT: Hate the Hellion nerf. That was unnecessary. The tank nerf will have to be used and tested to see how badly that hurts Mech play. I don't know if it'll hinder TvP or TvT too much but it'll certainly even up TvZ pretty good. They should have lowered cost of gas for tanks along with the nerf though. Thor nerf may make Mutalisks more viable but I'll just throw down a third turret now instead of two to help the Thor. Reaper Nitro is HUGE. I forsee tons of reaper harass and cheese builds now.

Last edited:
Back