Starbound available for preorder!

Looks exactly like Terraria to me. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Looks exactly like Terraria to me. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Its everyone that made Terraria that didn't leave the team.
It is essentially Terraria 2, but very different. I've been following this game for a while, this kickstarter style pre order is mostly to help speed up development. Things have slowed down in the last few months and now they want the game out the door. Plus, the villagers are getting restless...

i dont think i will support this. looks like a rip off of another game.

i dont think i will support this. looks like a rip off of another game.

What game would that be? Terraria?
This is the sequel. There's no ripping off here. There's no other game like Terraria (unless you count Minecraft...but thats obviously different).

It is essentially Terraria 2, but very different. I've been following this game for a while, this kickstarter style pre order is mostly to help speed up development. Things have slowed down in the last few months and now they want the game out the door. Plus, the villagers are getting restless...

Interesting, I didn't know that. I liked Terraria quite a bit (though when it first came out I basically "did all there is to do" and then quit playing), so maybe I'll check this one out.

Interesting, I didn't know that. I liked Terraria quite a bit (though when it first came out I basically "did all there is to do" and then quit playing), so maybe I'll check this one out.

Yeah it was some weird drama.
Main programmer quit working on Terraria and left after the last update(personal reasons, left the sector, had a baby). Some artists started Starbound, which is kinda like a sequel, but not really. Now there are rumors of a new update for Terraria and that the main programmer is back. No word if hes working with the Starbound team or just doing his own thing, but it looks like hes only working on Terraria at the moment. Who knows if he will join this new team at Chuklefish or do his own thing (New Terraria updates, maybe Terraria 2.)

This does look really good

assuming its not all smoke and mirrors it's definitely a day one, but I'm not sure about preordering

Given the excellent "prequel" of Terraria, I've already preordered. Been looking forward to this for a long time... especially given its Linux support advertised from the beginning! If you enjoy Minecraft or Terraria etc... give Starbound a pre-order!

I certainly don't believe in all preorders but in this case, it helps the devs support their families and not have to work 3 jobs. I am in for a few copies, for my family and friends to enjoy together.

This game will net me no less than 100 hours of entertainment, for 15$. For most people? 20-40, if they are even remote fans of the genre or it's predecessor.

A no risk investment that helps others with their quality of life and yourself in a more expidited product? I'm sure as hell signing up for that.

Preorders are for suckers.

Personally I think there's a huge difference between paying $15 to an indie developer to help development of a game and paying $60 to pre-order a game from a conglomerate like EA.

Main programmer quit working on Terraria and left after the last update(personal reasons, left the sector, had a baby). Some artists started Starbound, which is kinda like a sequel, but not really. Now there are rumors of a new update for Terraria and that the main programmer is back. No word if hes working with the Starbound team or just doing his own thing, but it looks like hes only working on Terraria at the moment. Who knows if he will join this new team at Chuklefish or do his own thing (New Terraria updates, maybe Terraria 2.)

Interesting, didn't knew about this. Last thing I heard about Terraria was that it was going to consoles, and I didn't follow it's development anymore since then.

Terraria was a fun game anyway, so I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully they improve on Terraria's formula and make an even better one.

Preorders are for suckers.
I'd say it's for people who are confident in the dev. If someone is confident enough that they would like it, I don't see a problem. It's a risk, but there's always a risk even when you buy after release ie. patching stops and games got abandoned bug ridden.

They've been doing updates every day for over a week now - ever since hitting 1m pre-orders. Looks like the money has allowed them to focus full time on the development of the game. At the current rate it looks like there will be a beta soon (1-2 months I'd guess)

http://playstarbound.com/

What game would that be? Terraria?
This is the sequel. There's no ripping off here. There's no other game like Terraria (unless you count Minecraft...but thats obviously different).

not sure where all this misinformation is coming from, there is no drama involved here. a couple of his sprite artists left the project to work on starbound, while he took a break to spend time with his family and oversee the console release. also a bunch of entitled kids whined about not getting more free shit. the end.

it's not a sequel and they have nothing to do with each other, and redigit is not updating just to compete with them for some reason. their release date is miles away (as in end of this year or early next year), the terraria update is due next month.

not sure where all this misinformation is coming from, there is no drama involved here. a couple of his sprite artists left the project to work on starbound, while he took a break to spend time with his family and oversee the console release. also a bunch of entitled kids whined about not getting more free shit. the end.

it's not a sequel and they have nothing to do with each other, and redigit is not updating just to compete with them for some reason. their release date is miles away (as in end of this year or early next year), the terraria update is due next month.

misinformation? really dude?
you basically posted the same shit I said, with a few new things. of course there should be new info after a month.

all that shit came off the steam terraria forums and the starbound forums. not only that, I said theres no word on whats really happening, because this isnt a big deal and the devs arent posting about it everyday. terraria is being updated and starbound is being made. it really makes no difference.

misinformation? really dude?
you basically posted the same shit I said, with a few new things. of course there should be new info after a month.

all that shit came off the steam terraria forums and the starbound forums. not only that, I said theres no word on whats really happening, because this isnt a big deal and the devs arent posting about it everyday. terraria is being updated and starbound is being made. it really makes no difference.

right so no drama or sequels. just trying to head off the bs so we can talk about the game and not their personal lives, or other second hand info somehow misread from what they posted themselves at some point.

devs are posting about it everyday because it's a big deal to them, one of the starbound guys actually does daily streams on twitch while they work, so you can ask them whatever you want. the terraria subreddit is also a good source of info on stuff for the coming patch, from constant updates on his irc/twitter and the site blog.

you took my words out of context.
weird drama, as in unconfirmed rumors or just irrelevent bs. nothing to do with development of thIS game, which you can follow on the official site. the kickstarter was just as i said, as the devs stated on the main page when it went live.

i preordered the same day and cant wait for the beta.

just trying to head off the bs so we can talk about the game and not their personal lives, or other second hand info somehow misread from what they posted themselves at some point.

man good thing you came in this thread to get it on topic!

:rolleyes:

yeah that was after the bashing and duplicating of another users reply from a month prior, could have done without that...

in any case - I do appreciate the stream link and I am looking forward to this game as I enjoy Terraria's gameplay quite a bit and come back to it often as a filler game to relax with

here's to hoping the beta and Terraria patch come sooner rather than later :p

I put countless hours into Terraria with several friends, and my kids. We had a nice dedicated world running for the past year or three (however long it's been out.) I will definitely pick this up. Probably 8 copies of it.

That's a lot of kids :p:D

:D Actually I have four kids, which is still a lot. I like to buy co-op games like this for my friends though too. Otherwise they might not buy them and play with me. :D This way, they feel like they have to. hehehe

:D Actually I have four kids, which is still a lot. I like to buy co-op games like this for my friends though too. Otherwise they might not buy them and play with me. :D This way, they feel like they have to. hehehe

devious. I should get my girls started on Terraria, one is almost 4 :p

I need more gaming friends for 4-packs haha

Just pre-ordered! Looking forward to the beta...

I'm going to wait and see how this pans out. I've already spent too much money on $15-20 pre-orders of games that end up flopping or having extremely sparse or non-existent developer support. (Looking at you, Takedown and Cube World...)

I'm going to wait and see how this pans out. I've already spent too much money on $15-20 pre-orders of games that end up flopping or having extremely sparse or non-existent developer support. (Looking at you, Takedown and Cube World...)

Ya I'm interested, but waiting. The thing that worries me is that their plans seem REALLY ambitious, and those are the ones that can fail the hardest. I'm hoping it turns out to be great, but I'll wait until it is released before I decide if I wish to pull the trigger.

That and I just spent like $800 on audio software this month so I need to spend less :p.

I was interested way back when they first started. Preordered day one. Now they are just taking to long to get the beta and my interest is fading.

I was interested way back when they first started. Preordered day one. Now they are just taking to long to get the beta and my interest is fading.

If you don't have Terraria, consider picking that up and if you do have it, fire it up again. The 1.2 update is quite amazing and it is a ton of fun. Not the same game, but it'll give you your "pixel art ant-farm builder" fix :).

I thought Terraria was boring and didn't appeal to me. I do like the idea of building spaceships and exploring, though... I'll definitely have to pay attention to the reviews and whatnot.

It is a very unique game type and most certainly not for everyone. Most creative types seem to enjoy it a lot though.

Back