• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Starbound -- anyone playing?

I have the game, but I'm kind of waiting until there are no more character wipes before I really dig into it.

It is very similar to Terraria from what I have seen and played.
 
Similar to Terraria but advancement has a lot to do with building and then defeating a boss. It is my understanding that there will only be one more character wipe and then characters should be safe. It has more races, more bosses, more ores, more tech, more dungeons, and more biomes than Terraria
 
A lot of fun, very similar to terreria, but different in it's advancement and progression.. 1 more character wipe next week sometime, so I'm holding off on playing anymore until that happens.
 
Great game but Im doing the same as most, waiting for the character wipe next week. Well worth the money imo. The dev's for the game are also OUTSTANDING. Great communication, GREAT teamwork with community modders, it's just almost unreal..
 
Great game but Im doing the same as most, waiting for the character wipe next week. Well worth the money imo. The dev's for the game are also OUTSTANDING. Great communication, GREAT teamwork with community modders, it's just almost unreal..

Pretty much this. It's a fantastic indie title that blows away the common misconception that all indies are tiny nich products. There's so much to do, and there's very little hand holding.

I would still purchase this, regardless of the wipes. Each playthrough is pretty random
 
I have a server up and running. Have around 5 people hopping on nightly. Shoot me a PM if you'd like the info.
 
Are they more or less finished with character wipes yet? Not really touching the game until then.
 
They said the made changes in the most recent patch that should eliminate the need for character/world wipes in the future.
 
Yeah official word is they don't see a need for wipes anymore. I've been waiting for that reason
 
it only took a few days to get the best armor and weapons ... waiting on more content
 
it only took a few days to get the best armor and weapons ... waiting on more content

That's how Terraria was until the 1.2 patch or whatever. Then after the 1.2 patch I did just about everything there was to do (save for the highest-tier armor/weapons, which seemed to rely on RNG nonsense) in a few days as well. Problem with that game was there wasn't enough randomness in the world generation to really make it worth re-playing.
 
There really isn't much randomness or scarcity to anything in the worlds of Starbound thus far. Its all the same more/less on each planet with slightly different textures. Not playing again until its far more complete.
 
Yeap..was just waiting for this final character wipe. Been messing with mods and stuff this time. There's some pretty neat shit out there.
 
I loved Terraria and have been playing it since 1.1. Starbound is more combat focused with a different look. I would recommend holding off as it is severely lacking in quests and NPCs. Right now you can mine and upgrade Armour. I haven't been able to add to much to my ship yet either. Of course it is still in Beta and it is still fun,
 
It's a good game, but I much much prefer Terraria. Starbound just feels very.. empty. Hopefully that changes as it gets closer to being finished.
 
Also, resources seem way more scarce than in Terraria, making it feel like more of a tedious grind.

For example, it takes about 30 Copper bars to make a chestpiece in Starbound, which is about the same as Terraria, with the same 2-to-1 ore to bar conversion ratio. However, in Terraria, Copper is MUCH more abundant and you find it in groups of 20+ ore pretty regularly. In Starbound, you are lucky to find half a dozen ore at a time, and it's way more rare than in Terraria.

Not to mention in Starbound you regularly die and lose 20% of your Pixels (unrecoverable, unlike Terraria), making it hard to actually do anything with them. Plus you can't store them without a super high-tier item which, even then, you lose 40% of them in the "conversion process".
 
zrikz.dynns.com:25562 if anyone is interested.

New Server is up and running, small population right now, just getting started. Feel free to check it out
 
Progression is still in development and the current system is very much a placeholder. The developers updated the website with a bit of information on their goals / plans. Most interesting bit is on the collection of pixels:

"Obtaining pixels will be key to progressing through Starbound. To access the mission in each tier you must first gather a certain number of pixels.

Currently obtaining pixels in Starbound feels like a bit of a grind. Particularly given the pixel death penalty and the high cost of various pixel sinks. In large part however this is down to unimplemented features being missing.

In the finished game you’ll be able to earn pixels in a multitude of different ways, essentially allowing you to play through the game the way you want to play. If you’d like to become an intergalactic farmer, growing and selling crops, keeping livestock and so on. The farming feature will be fleshed out enough for that to be your means of pixel gathering. On the other hand, if you prefer to be an adventurer, taking quests and gaining pixels as rewards. That route is just as good. Perhaps you prefer to be a builder, charging npcs rent based on the quality of the homes they inhabit. A pirate, robbing towns and ransacking villages. A tomb raider, gathering rare artifacts.

There will be many different routes through the game, each just as deep and profitable as the last. Each will branch out and become more complex as the player advances through tiers, unlocks new technology and becomes more proficient in their chosen skills. Essentially we’re describing the gameplay equivalent of a tech/skill tree."
 
See, this is one of the problems that I have with games like this being in Early Access. You want to support the developers and get a working product, but then given that half of the features are going to change or haven't even been added yet you feel like kind of an idiot putting a lot of time into an unbalanced and incomplete title.

So essentially what you have to do is just sit on the game until it reaches a point where it is worth putting time into. Or, play the game and suffer through multiple character wipes or complete revamps of the gameplay/mechanics.

IMO, of course.
 
Been having a great time playing this game. Really excited to see the professions fleshed out.
Got my first base setup, just defeated the 3rd boss. So far I am loving the amount of items and the crafting.

 
See, this is one of the problems that I have with games like this being in Early Access. You want to support the developers and get a working product, but then given that half of the features are going to change or haven't even been added yet you feel like kind of an idiot putting a lot of time into an unbalanced and incomplete title.

So essentially what you have to do is just sit on the game until it reaches a point where it is worth putting time into. Or, play the game and suffer through multiple character wipes or complete revamps of the gameplay/mechanics.

IMO, of course.

If you're not one of the people actively helping with the development of the game, such as bug submissions, then yes Early Access is a waste of time in most cases.
 
See, this is one of the problems that I have with games like this being in Early Access. You want to support the developers and get a working product, but then given that half of the features are going to change or haven't even been added yet you feel like kind of an idiot putting a lot of time into an unbalanced and incomplete title.

So essentially what you have to do is just sit on the game until it reaches a point where it is worth putting time into. Or, play the game and suffer through multiple character wipes or complete revamps of the gameplay/mechanics.

IMO, of course.

I like hopping on the forums and linking videos of bugs that I have found to the devs so they can fix them. Really good devs will banter back and forth with you after you've established a relationship with them. After you've become a pillar of the community, that opens the possibility of becoming a moderator on the forums or actually joining the dev team.

Of course this depends on the game / publisher / developer. :)
 
If you're not one of the people actively helping with the development of the game, such as bug submissions, then yes Early Access is a waste of time in most cases.

I like hopping on the forums and linking videos of bugs that I have found to the devs so they can fix them. Really good devs will banter back and forth with you after you've established a relationship with them. After you've become a pillar of the community, that opens the possibility of becoming a moderator on the forums or actually joining the dev team.

Of course this depends on the game / publisher / developer. :)

Fair enough, and I do get involved with some games (ArmA 3 for example) to help in bug submission and confirmation.

For this game it is not so much that it's buggy...in fact, I don't think I've encountered any bugs to speak of...but it's just feature-incomplete.
 
Fair enough, and I do get involved with some games (ArmA 3 for example) to help in bug submission and confirmation.

For this game it is not so much that it's buggy...in fact, I don't think I've encountered any bugs to speak of...but it's just feature-incomplete.

If you gave me a choice between a bug-ridden early access with all features included, and a bug-free early access with some features included, I think I’d go with the latter most of the time :p
 
I get what you're saying, my point is just that for games like this (longer RPG-like where you build a character) it kinda sucks to get into the game, only to have the mechanics totally changed and/or your character wiped.

Not saying at all that it's a bad game or not worth playing, just in response to the article about how pixels are "eventually" going to work, it makes me not want to play the game until they get everything added properly, lest I waste my time trying to farm pixels only to have it become super easy in the future.

After playing a lot of Minecraft/Terraria, I am kind of over games where you build a bunch, then the developer updates and you have to wipe and start over again.
 
The game is like minecraft 2D, i love terraria and starbound is not bad. I actually like terraria better. however comparing the final version of Terraria to the starbound alpha is not exactly fair. Starbound has a long way to go and based on my experience with terraria the developer will keep adding content for a long time. But I still prefer the Terraria style.

That said, currently the game is fun but short. Characters should be safe from wipes. However, I would want to start a new Character after a major update anyways,
 
I haven't played this for a few months now. Anyone have any updates on how playability/progress are coming along?
 
I haven't heard about any updates...maybe there have been some, but nothing huge unless I have been totally out of the loop.

I haven't played this for a long time, either. Hope this doesn't turn into another Cube World.
 
I haven't been playing for awhile, as I don't want to get burned out before the game is complete.

But anyway, development is definitely on going, short news on what they are working on often gets posted on their official site. Among the stuff they are working on in past month are new ships and combat changes.

As for their long term plans, they posted an article back in February discussing about a new progression system. Right now I'm just waiting for this major change. Not sure how far along the development is though.

Hi guys,

So today we spent our Sunday having a long (5 hours!) design discussion in which we are pencilling in the finer details of the games progression.

As we said before, the current progression is entirely temporary, existing to provide temporary gameplay whilst we work on the engine. Today I want to share more with you about the games new structure and the beginning of the game.

First of all we’re removing the different universe sectors. In the final game there will be only three sectors. The sector the majority of the game takes place in, a pvp sector and a creative sector without dangers.

Instead of progressing through the game sector by sector, you’ll advance by upgrading your tech to allow you to visit planets that were otherwise inaccessible due to hazards. An example being a planet with no breathable air. Progression will be less linear and more akin to the kind of progression you find in modern metroidvanias.

We’re building the game with 3 main paths of progression that branch off later on. Farming, adventuring and building. We want players to be able to advance through the game whilst doing whatever they enjoy most.

At the beginning of the game (what would be the alpha sector in the current progression) you start on a ship with a broken fuel module, giving you access to only one planet. Through a series of quests you’re taught how to farm, find trophies in dungeons and build the beginnings of a settlement. Completing these quests will give you the pixels you need to use your ships 3d printer to produce a new fuel module. Which in turn allows progression to the other planets in your current solar system.

At this stage were introducing a new planet type called an outpost. A small and safe planet populated by members of every race. A safe haven for trade and quest taking. You’ll learn how to generate pixels through selling crops, taking quests, selling trophies found in dungeons and renting out houses in your settlement.

From here each of these roles will expand outwards as you progress (for example animal farming becomes an optional part of the farming progression).

More on that later

http://playstarbound.com/23rd-february/
 
Looking forward to the finished product. I played the shit out of this game upon its EA launch but it quickly got a little old with the lack of depth. You could build bases but leaving the planet after only a hour or two made it kind of pointless. Never heard of any profession/job system but that also sounds really bad ass.
 
Based on that update, I am hoping they don't make the game feel too linear...kind of sounds like you go down one of three paths and are required to do certain things in each. I wasn't a huge fan of the current tutorial/intro because every time you start over you have to do all the intro crap again.
 
Back
Top