Star Wars: The Force Awakens Official Poster

The hypocrisy of the liberal left is illuminating.

Whenever anyone dares to question why the lead Jedi in Star Wars respin ( arguably a white culture movie) is now black that person is automatically slammed with allegations of racism and hatred.

But imagine the following; what if Michael Bay took "Bad Boys", an African American pop-culture movie and cast two white guys as leads, with the same movie name. The kicker?! Will Smith is now replaced by Channing Tatum, who in the movie is a native Texan who likes big trucks and country music.

Yea...like no one would find that racist at all.....

Hi All

Why not make it & find out

So here's the deal...

And neither side will like it.

African Americans (or black) population represents ~13% of the population. Latinos around ~17%

Both are HUGE untapped markets and as a whole spend a larger percentage of income on disposable non durable goods like phones, movies, entertainment, dining out & music.

To tap this market they market characters of ethnic decent they can take pride in. And having a racially diverse demographic creates a good image for the company who presents it.

So it's all about marketing an image to sell things. Sorry people.

BTW: One of the major characters dies.

BTW: I could give a rats tail what any main character's sex or race is. But I do get pissed off by overly politically correct bullcrap because someone might get offended.

What you're offended there's a cross on federal cemetary grounds? Or a flag that's really a symbol of history, tradition, culture and rebellion against federal oppresion that's mistakenly used as a racist symbol? Or the ten commandments on display in a court house? Or that a private owner of a bakery refuses to sell you a wedding cake because it goes against their religion. Awwwwww poor baby. Now go and put your f'n big boy pants on and realize these things in no way affect your life before you get self rightously indignant.

BTW: I could give a rats tail what any main character's sex or race is. But I do get pissed off by overly politically correct bullcrap because someone might get offended.

What you're offended there's a cross on federal cemetary grounds? Or a flag that's really a symbol of history, tradition, culture and rebellion against federal oppresion that's mistakenly used as a racist symbol? Or the ten commandments on display in a court house? Or that a private owner of a bakery refuses to sell you a wedding cake because it goes against their religion. Awwwwww poor baby. Now go and put your f'n big boy pants on and realize these things in no way affect your life before you get self rightously indignant.

Hi All

You really believe all that don't you?

I'm so offended that you guys are offended.

Seriously, who the fuck cares? If the movie is good, WOOHOO! If not, BOO.

So here's the deal...

African Americans (or black) population represents ~13% of the population. Latinos around ~17%

Both are HUGE untapped markets and as a whole spend a larger percentage of income on disposable non durable goods like phones, movies, entertainment, dining out & music.

To tap this market they market characters of ethnic decent they can take pride in. And having a racially diverse demographic creates a good image for the company who presents it.

POLITICS

So here's the deal...

Absolutely positively wrong.

No one cares about "percentage of income". If Kenny McCormick spends 50% of his disposable income that month, a whopping 35 cents on Star Wars merchandise, vs say 2% of Token Black's income of $1500, guess who you cater to? Percentage means NOTHING, its about absolute dollars.

In absolute dollars, black and hispanics do not justify more than a token reference, notably because the United States is not the world. The Star Wars franchise is about more than movies, its about legos, toys, t-shirts, back packs, costumes, and Star Wars the flamethrower... so you have to start looking at the major GDP's globally.

When you do so, you see that the major markets are North America, the European Union, and China/Japan. So going by raw dollars that means that your most important demographic is white and east-asian. So why are white males in particular often a punching bag of the "evil white patriarchy" with an emphasis on strong white females and empowered minorities (with great over-representation for example of both in positions of authority, scientists, and doctors), with examples like Mad Max where Max is reduced to an ancillary supporting character to Furiosa, the white feminist star of the show whom he has to ask permission/approval for action with the theme being rape culture in the evil white male patriarchy that destroyed the world, saved by a feminist overthrow to an all female government; or more or less the same theme in Hunger Games of a white female feminist again taking out the old white male patriarchy; or Fear the Walking Dead where a powerful white female breadwinner divorces her white husband to hook up with a middle-eastern man, with her daughter hooking up with a black guy, and the only major white characters are the evil white patriarchal military commander and the privileged yet useless druggy white son; or even more subtly like in Jurassic World where again a strong independent single woman is running a multi-billion dollar facility bank rolled by a wealthy and powerful Indian with even the star white male being a lowly ranch hand subordinate employee; to even little things like race swapping so the Avengers are subordinate to a black leader even if its against cannon; or even to the highest level of a black God in Bruce Almighty....

The answer? Because its not JUST about money, and they will make money regardless. Hollywood has its own culture of approval, and to fit in those circles you have to fit in and push the collectivist politically correct approved agenda, or you get attacked and ostracized making it an uphill battle.

For example, this is a quote from JJ Abrams about why he prefers a disproportionate amount of minority protagonist positions when possible:
"You look around that room and you see the WHITEST fucking room in the history of time. Its just unbelievably WHITE!"

Now imagine that was director Clint Eastwood or Mel Gibson said the exact same words but replace the word "white" with "black" about why he cast a disproportionate amount of white actors in a movie. "You look around that room and you see the BLACKEST fucking room in the history of time. Its just unbelievably BLACK!" Pretty racist right?

Ah, but the catch is, Jewish guys are a minority (less than 2% of the population... well except when it comes to hollywood directors, producers, etc but I digress), and white males certainly no "vulnerable" protected class, and so you can discriminate against white males as a punching bag with impunity, and if any complain about this treatment, then that is just all the more proof they are racist/sexist. Its quite brilliant, but I think a bit too transparent at this point.

And so alas, the antagonist will likely be a older white male "patriarchy" that is overthrown by a strong white female feminist and empowered black male, that will probably have an interracial love scene, and receive tremendous applause for being so PC... except maybe the lack of a homosexual love scene or transgender character, but that will be in the next one.

Theory: John Boyega is Lando's son. He got the light saber from his father as a Gift to him since Luke lost Anakins Light saber (yes the Light saber that Finn is using is Anakins original Light saber) to Vader at Cloud city which Lando ran.

OTherwise Tickets bought and people who wont watch a movie because they think it's too black are stupid.

The hypocrisy of the liberal left is illuminating.

Whenever anyone dares to question why the lead Jedi in Star Wars respin ( arguably a white culture movie) is now black that person is automatically slammed with allegations of racism and hatred.

But imagine the following; what if Michael Bay took "Bad Boys", an African American pop-culture movie and cast two white guys as leads, with the same movie name. The kicker?! Will Smith is now replaced by Channing Tatum, who in the movie is a native Texan who likes big trucks and country music.

Yea...like no one would find that racist at all.....

I've never seen bad boys. Does race play a part in the characters/plot (assuming it has one)? If not, then Bay probably chose to cast it that way. If he'd cast it with 2 white guys, a white guy and a hispanic guy or an Asian and an Iraqi, nobody would have known and you'd complain when Bad Boys 2 had 2 black guys in it :rolleyes:

For example, this is a quote from JJ Abrams about why he prefers a disproportionate amount of minority protagonist positions when possible:
"You look around that room and you see the WHITEST fucking room in the history of time. Its just unbelievably WHITE!"

Now imagine that was director Clint Eastwood or Mel Gibson said the exact same words but replace the word "white" with "black" about why he cast a disproportionate amount of white actors in a movie. "You look around that room and you see the BLACKEST fucking room in the history of time. Its just unbelievably BLACK!" Pretty racist right?

That's a horrible example. It would be like John Singleton saying that, and nobody would call him racist for saying that, though he would almost certainly be attacked for being wrong on the issue. Blacks are a minority that has been historically discriminated against and marginalized. How many black movie stars were there 40 years ago? Most of the best roles are played by white actors. And maybe it matters to you, but I honestly don't care about the race of the actor in most roles. Obviously Lincoln has to be white and MLK has to be black, but this is fucking science fiction movie and the character is so obscure that most people will first hear his name in December.

rwm2bn.gif

That's a horrible example. It would be like John Singleton saying that, and nobody would call him racist for saying that, though he would almost certainly be attacked for being wrong on the issue.
How so? Jewish people do not typically identify as white, and will correct you if you call them white (particularly when referencing white-guilt/privilege theme). Like on 60 minutes where Morgan Freeman made the error of calling Mike Wallace white, to which Mike quickly corrected him that he's Jewish, not white.

How so? Jewish people do not typically identify as white, and will correct you if you call them white (particularly when referencing white-guilt/privilege theme). Like on 60 minutes where Morgan Freeman made the error of calling Mike Wallace white, to which Mike quickly corrected him that he's Jewish, not white.

Wallace can think what he wants, but he couldn't look at a random person and say Jewish not Jewish, never mind that he wasn't saying he wanted to hire more Jews. Besides, in what world are JJ Abrams movies skewed towards non-white characters? There was 1 main character in Alias, maybe 1 in MI3, 1 in Star Trek (not looking at the sequel) and Star Wars' and it's mostly white.

Wallace can think what he wants, but he couldn't look at a random person and say Jewish not Jewish, never mind that he wasn't saying he wanted to hire more Jews.
Christ, talk about tangent subterfuge.. your thoughts are all scattered and random, I don't even know where to start. To backtrack before you started doing flying no handed somersaults in mental gymnastics (not that I'm not impressed), you argued that a clearly bigoted statement is acceptable as long as the bigoted statement is made WITHIN a member of that group. Someone that doesn't identify as white certainly does not qualify as being WITHIN that ethnic group to "cancel out" the statement that there's too many fucking WHITES.

In any case, as I said originally, in a vacuum this doesn't matter to me and I'm sure I will enjoy the film. What does matter to me is how persistent this anti-white male patriarchy propaganda is, and the clear double-standard in the way that white males are treated from every other group as the new whipping boy because its somehow deserved (white guilt) or he can take it (not "protected" group in liberal compartmentalization of people).

Christ, talk about tangent subterfuge.. your thoughts are all scattered and random, I don't even know where to start. To backtrack before you started doing flying no handed somersaults in mental gymnastics (not that I'm not impressed), you argued that a clearly bigoted statement is acceptable as long as the bigoted statement is made WITHIN a member of that group. Someone that doesn't identify as white certainly does not qualify as being WITHIN that ethnic group to "cancel out" the statement that there's too many fucking WHITES.

In any case, as I said originally, in a vacuum this doesn't matter to me and I'm sure I will enjoy the film. What does matter to me is how persistent this anti-white male patriarchy propaganda is, and the clear double-standard in the way that white males are treated from every other group as the new whipping boy because its somehow deserved (white guilt) or he can take it (not "protected" group in liberal compartmentalization of people).

The term you are looking for is "white shaming" and its a passive agressive way of saying all white people are racist. This is of itself is a form of racism which is both ironic and sad.

John Boyega is the new Luke, cmon now..Movie has to be politically correct!:)...............:rolleyes:

I'm probably going to sound like a self hating black guy

<-- mixed black/korean

but I wished they would have chosen anyone else. Because he's a black guy? No, because he's an ugly black guy. Dude is straight up unattractive. It's not even that he's average looking, when he popped that helmet off it was like woah, they went there? for a potential lead?

When it comes to hollywood media like movies and tv shows I'm a bigot, I prefer the leads to be better looking on average unless the person is known as a REALLY good actor like Forest Whitaker or something. That or the character calls for them not being good looking. Or a side character.

Hollywood almost ALWAYS leans towards attractive people as the leads, else you get a scene that takes you OUT of the movie like dark knight with bruce wayne - a debonaire billionaire being matched with... Maggie Gyllenhaal.... REALLY? THAT was the great object of everyones affections?

But I digress.

I find it kind of offensive that the cast for star wars that is new is generally good looking, but when it comes time to cast the black guy, those typical standards of leaning towards better looking actors gets thrown out the window. As if to say, well, he's black so who cares, that's the best we could do - what do you expect?

... I expect a bit more parity, I expect something more along the lines of:

4282207_shawn-carter-peterson-talks-pitch-perfect_481b31f9_m.png

or this

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...l-Davis.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130411233401

not this

http://nerdreactor.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/star-wars-the-force-awakens-x551_tea001.jpg?394dcb

Have you seen some of the other new cast?

beautiful people abound, but when it comes to the black guy, that is the figure represented to the world.

I get that it's not all about looks, the last Anakin was a pretty boy that no one seemed to like, but to go this far in the other direction for a god damned movie lead irritates me. I'm still seeing the movie of course, and who knows, maybe John will be so amazing in the role it would drown out the visuals. But he's got a LOT of work to do for that to happen because that visage is working against him. Not because he's black, because he does not look like a lead for a movie.

First choice with picture...no. Second choice...that's fine. First dude looks like he just got out of bed and hit the bong immediately.

I'm hoping John lives up to the hype as well. I haven't put as much thought into how the actors look like you, but it makes you think I guess. Then again, as you stated, they did it with Batman...

Still love the new poster.

But...I'm still trying to figure out how this thread derailed so badly from said new poster to a non-relevant discussion about race and racism. It's as if someone shat out troll bait, then everyone picked up a handful, ate it, shat out more troll bait, and now the thread is stuck on that rinse, repeat cycle. Seriously, WTF?

But...I'm still trying to figure out how this thread derailed so badly from said new poster to a non-relevant discussion about race and racism. It's as if someone shat out troll bait, then everyone picked up a handful, ate it, shat out more troll bait, and now the thread is stuck on that rinse, repeat cycle. Seriously, WTF?

A whole lot of sad, angry people felt the need to project .... IMO.

Then rinse our pallets and compliment white people. Say we make the best deserts or something.

SOB, lack of edit... incoming pun storm about deforestation or excessive water consumption or something. *facepalm*

Ha! Only on [H] forums can people go from debating a movie trailer and transition so flawlessly off topic into politics, racism, sexism.

In a world of skin colors, he's white. He's also jewish, but he wasn't saying, "We need more Jews. Bring me more Jews!!!!" He said he wanted more people of color, not "Bring me more black...but make sure they're Jewish."

And again, this movie is still way whiter than the U.S., never mind the potential audience.

Can you people please tell me how many women and negroes the movie SHOULD have had in it?

And then STFU and take your shit to the soapbox?

Back