Star Wars: Squadrons

I’m hyped! I really hope it’s similar to X-Wing vs Tie Fighter series, but I’d settle for Rogue Squadron with multiplayer.

I also liked Battlefront 2’s space combat, so I’d even settle for that.

Finally, a space ship based Star Wars game. Honestly I would prefer a unique IP because Star Wars is fairly lame and this would make it harder for something better to get funding. But seeing as no one else stepped up to the game, I suppose this is a good thing.

Can’t wait. My kids and I have been playing a lot of star wars battle pod, during quarantine, but it’s on rails ... not exactly the x-wing or tie fighter experience of old.

I actually was about to buy the original Rogue Squadron on GOG recently because I miss playing it so much on N64. Same with Rogue leader on Gamecube (which I don't think came to PC). Those were amazing games, so if this is more of the same in a modern engine and IQ, then I'll be all over it when it launches.

Looks like multiplayer only, $40 asking price. Makes me wounder about microtransactions though. I'm interested though. 5v5 isn't too worrisome if the gameplay is solid.

Edit: SP campaign?

Last edited:
Steam just flashed this in my face and I see this description:

Master the art of starfighter combat in the authentic piloting experience STAR WARS™: Squadrons. Buckle up, feel the adrenaline of first-person multiplayer space dogfights alongside your squadron, and learn what it means to be a pilot in a thrilling STAR WARS™ single-player campaign.

I'll be keeping an eye on this.

5v5? What the crap?! Battlefront 2 has 12v12 for their space multiplayer. PASS!

5v5 conveys to me that they actually put some thought into it, tested it many different ways and decided that 10 players was the sweet spot for competitive play, and a higher skill ceiling.

In other words they actually want it to be a mode that you can use teamwork and tactics, rather than 24+ ships with kids and casuals playing pew-pew-shoot everything on screen then get bored after two rounds. That was the problem with Air Superiority mode in BF3/BF4 - high playercount lowered skill ceiling because it was chaos.

Last edited:
5v5 conveys to me that they actually put some thought into it, tested it many different ways and decided that 10 players was the sweet spot for competitive play, and a higher skill ceiling.

In other words they actually want it to be a mode that you can use teamwork and tactics, rather than 24+ ships with kids and casuals playing pew-pew-shoot everything on screen then get bored after two rounds. That was the problem with Air Superiority mode in BF3/BF4 - high playercount lowered skill ceiling because it was chaos.
low playercount sucks IMO. I miss the old days of 128 player 1942 servers on maps like coral sea. Where you actually had real dog fights going on with many planes.

Finally, a space ship based Star Wars game. Honestly I would prefer a unique IP because Star Wars is fairly lame and this would make it harder for something better to get funding. But seeing as no one else stepped up to the game, I suppose this is a good thing.
Everspace 2 is also coming.

This is suppose be a Spiritual Sequel to Rogue Squadrons right?

low playercount sucks IMO. I miss the old days of 128 player 1942 servers on maps like coral sea. Where you actually had real dog fights going on with many planes.

They should allow the players to choose if they want large or smaller battles in server options instead of forcing this one size only crap down on us.

Won't suprise me if EA pulls something with an expansion for larger game modes.

Given the multi-platform support, I'm betting that the 5v5 limit is more of a hedge against all of the various types of lag involved.

Beyond that, I keep hoping for a 'Star Wars Battlefield' game, but I think we're still a console generation from that even being feasible at scale.

Given the multi-platform support, I'm betting that the 5v5 limit is more of a hedge against all of the various types of lag involved.

Beyond that, I keep hoping for a 'Star Wars Battlefield' game, but I think we're still a console generation from that even being feasible at scale.
Did you play the first (2015) EA Battlefront? Playing the beta felt like SW Battlefield. Unless you just mean you wish there was more focus on combined arms vehicular + infantry combat ala BF3/BF4, rather than infantry-focused run and gun with a couple AT-ST's and X-Wings thrown in as an afterthought.

Last edited:
Did you play the first (2015) EA Battlefront? Playing the beta felt like SW Battlefield. Unless you just mean you wish there was more focus on combined arms vehicular + infantry combat ala BF3/BF4, rather than infantry-focused run and gun with a couple AT-ST's and X-Wings thrown in as an afterthought.

It felt a lot more casual and the flow was very different. DICE specifically stated this as they wanted it to be very easy for non-gamers to pick up given the theme of Star Wars.

That being said, I'd rather have a good MP/campaign based purely on flight/space combat. I think 5v5 might be a bit small but I'll see how it is. $40 is tempting if they don't shove it full of micro transactions.

I spent countless hours playing Rogue Squadron (N64), RS2, and Rebel Strike (Gamecube) in High school. They were amazing games back in the day. Very high hopes for this as the flying in the Battlefront games has been aweful imho.

I am more than ok with the lower player count. Too many people sort of takes away the teamwork aspect as no one is really accountable.

Lemme guess: No single player campaign? That's the impression I got from the trailer.

Didn't the old XvT have 8v8 or something? Why is it back to 5v5? You can be competitive while increasing the player count, especially for this kind of genre...

Lemme guess: No single player campaign? That's the impression I got from the trailer.
1592308232643.png

Well, I'm still cautious, I hope it does not mean like XvT single player, or Q3A single player mode.
I see a lot of red flags.
This seems like a looter shooter in space, but I wish to be wrong about that.

Considering its EA and their most recent attempt at shoehorning an SP campaign into a MP centric game (i.e. Battlefront 2) was dismal, I am not holding my breath for it being anything other than half baked garbage.

Combined arms, as you put it, is what I'm getting at yeah.

Something like two basic scenaio settings, either space with ships / stations / asteroids, where you have crewed ships / stations to take / defend / destroy along with spacefighter combat, and another basic scenario like traditional Battlefront on a planet surface. Perhaps with 'Rush'-like scenarios that involve back and forth pushes?

Well, I'm still cautious, I hope it does not mean like XvT single player, or Q3A single player mode.
I see a lot of red flags.
This seems like a looter shooter in space, but I wish to be wrong about that.

Says "story" but I too am worried. If its a looter shooter I'll be disappointed.

I bought VR for HL:A and so glad I did. Although playing it at 4K might be better (I’ll probably just switch off lol).

Looks like male Caucasians are now virtually extinct in the Star Wars universe. The rebel diversity squads must have rounded them all up and interned them in re-education camps on Tatooine after the Empire was defeated, I am sure Disney has a movie in the works to make that canon.

Looks pretty good for what it is, I am interested. If the campaign is okay and the MP is good I'm in at $40. Just hope it isn't too grindy, all those upgrades look worrisome.

Seriously? Keep the politics off this.

I'd agree, but the the video itself explicitly injects politics by mentioning the diversity of the characters (who cares?).

Looks pretty good for what it is, I am interested. If the campaign is okay and the MP is good I'm in at $40. Just hope it isn't too grindy, all those upgrades look worrisome.

I'd agree, but the the video itself explicitly injects politics by mentioning the diversity of the characters (who cares?).

Diversity could also mean different races. But I will say that there were very few caucasian males in the trailer, but I did find some haha.

4D0E6D0E-254E-41BD-B9DF-A90D18314AF4.png

Back