Star Wars: Galactic Racer

I only had like 10 minutes to fire it up before bailing for work, but I noticed there's no HDR option. In general, the graphics menus were a bit strange with a controller. The A button was randomly acting like a toggle instead of confirm.
 
Just given it a quick whirl, bloody impressive! Graphics are the best I've seen in any game ever, I'm not kidding. Lighting is spot on everywhere, especially in the paddock area which I've only just seen. It makes you remember games don't need bullshit like ray tracing and DLSS5, good artists can make amazing looking games the 'old' way. Proper Star Wars fans are going to go nuts over this, you just imediately feel right in the world.

*edit*

Tried out DLSS5 swapper and it runs surprisingly well and looks incredible, made a quick n dirty video:


View: https://youtu.be/9uGTC8VU_EU
 
Last edited:
Game looks incredible, it's one of those genres I don't enjoy a ton but in a year when it's alot cheaper I'll probably grab it and enjoy the single player for a few weeks.
 
So does this game has a shipbuilder, or is it just locked to a few default designs?
 
default designs and parts, afaik. youre not building anything "from scratch" if thats what you mean.
 
Last edited:
Just given it a quick whirl, bloody impressive! Graphics are the best I've seen in any game ever, I'm not kidding. Lighting is spot on everywhere, especially in the paddock area which I've only just seen. It makes you remember games don't need bullshit like ray tracing and DLSS5, good artists can make amazing looking games the 'old' way. Proper Star Wars fans are going to go nuts over this, you just imediately feel right in the world.

*edit*

Tried out DLSS5 swapper and it runs surprisingly well and looks incredible, made a quick n dirty video:


View: https://youtu.be/9uGTC8VU_EU

This game features plenty of Ray Tracing.

I think the PC version has RT everything, and does also include Nvidia Ray Reconstruction (I'm looking at the settings menu on my own system, right now).

Whereas the consoles have Hardware Lumen for Global Illumination----but Screen Space reflections, to save on resources.

I thiiiiiiink I also heard they pre-baked some of the GI, for Series S and base PS5. Rather than doing all of it in real time.
 
I played for about 45 minutes last night. Neat game. It's really quick and butter smooth. I'm still figuring out the UI and when I can do what, but I'm enjoying myself thus far. It's like Need for Speed (and even a little Mario Kart) in the Star Wars universe.
 
I thiiiiiiink I also heard they pre-baked some of the GI, for Series S and base PS5. Rather than doing all of it in real time.
Indeed, they used Lightmass to pre-bake lighting for Xbox Series S, and for PC GPUs which don't support Ray Tracing, or don't have much RT performance.


View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIPgivtETng

1791402836623.png



They also put some extra thought into their art/asset pipeline, to try and make stuff which would 'upscale' relatively better with TSR, with less flicker/noise/etc.
 
Last edited:
Reminds me a bit of old school racers like "Road To The Top", Top Gear 2000, or even Biker Mice From Mars------ Where you start a GP tour, and in between races, you can choose basic upgrades.

The racing itself is also mechanically pretty basic. But, everything is SO FAST. You REALLY have to pay close attention and react on a dime. And on the hardest difficulty, maximizing when and how long you use your boost/turbo options, becomes critical.

Its very fun. But....it may also not be exactly what people were imagining. I thought this was going to be more like Motorstorm or San Francisco Rush. But, its actually more like an arcadey Formula 1 with hover cars.
 
game started crashing today. just when i started getting the hang of it. gotta fiddle with the settings i guess. frame gen and DLSS seem to be the two problem children
 
game started crashing today. just when i started getting the hang of it. gotta fiddle with the settings i guess. frame gen and DLSS seem to be the two problem children
If you have any overclocks or undervolts, try disabling those. Including PBO/Curve Optimizer on AMD. And if you are pushing your RAM to the limit, try backing it off a bit.

I had lots of crashing in Star Wars: Zero Company, until I disabled Curve Optimizer on my 9800X3D, and dropped my 64GB DDR5 speed from 6400 to 6000.

A system which has otherwise been rock solid stable for about two years, with several games.

Something about the latest UE5 games is flexing hardware a bit differently.
 
If you have any overclocks or undervolts, try disabling those. Including PBO/Curve Optimizer on AMD. And if you are pushing your RAM to the limit, try backing it off a bit.

I had lots of crashing in Star Wars: Zero Company, until I disabled Curve Optimizer on my 9800X3D, and dropped my 64GB DDR5 speed from 6400 to 6000.

A system which has otherwise been rock solid stable for about two years, with several games.

Something about the latest UE5 games is flexing hardware a bit differently.
system is completely stock

had the same problem in parts of zero company, yeah.
 
Some motherboards are known to push unreliable settings when set to Auto. If you're getting crashes in more than one game it might be worth it to try manual values on CPU and RAM voltages. (My x570 board tries to run my DDR4 at like 1.2V on Auto (and crashes) while the actual memory spec is 1.4V)
 
Some motherboards are known to push unreliable settings when set to Auto. If you're getting crashes in more than one game it might be worth it to try manual values on CPU and RAM voltages. (My x570 board tries to run my DDR4 at like 1.2V on Auto (and crashes) while the actual memory spec is 1.4V)
If you set it to XMP, it usually will set the voltage right on the vast majority of motherboards, though the setting won't take effect until you reboot.
 
If you set it to XMP, it usually will set the voltage right on the vast majority of motherboards, though the setting won't take effect until you reboot.
You would think that but XMP on my Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI sets the DIMM Voltage too low. 1.2V is good enough to boot into the BIOS and desktop but I'll get random crashes. Gotta set 1.35V to be 100% stable under all conditions.
 
Last edited:
You would think that but XMP on my Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI sets the DIMM Voltage too low.
It can vary by individual brand or even certain kits. I've seen some that needed 1.4v to run stable even though they were spec'ed for 1.3v on some boards. Corsair RAM was notorious for that during the DDR4 days. It's a bit of a crap shoot with that.
 
It can vary by individual brand or even certain kits. I've seen some that needed 1.4v to run stable even though they were spec'ed for 1.3v on some boards. Corsair RAM was notorious for that during the DDR4 days. It's a bit of a crap shoot with that.
Sure. Still worth checking if you're having issues though.
 
Was only while watching a livestream did I learn it was made by ex-Burnout devs. Makes a lot more sense how they nailed the action now.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Dan_D
like this
You’re Likely Playing Star Wars: Galactic Racer All Wrong, Like I Did For My First 16 Hours

It wasn’t until after I had finished my review and was excitedly talking about the game to a friend and was showing them a trailer that I noticed some of the gameplay being in first-person...anyone who simply opens the settings menu and looks at the controls will see that there’s a button to change your perspective...the game never teaches you this; you just need to know to go looking for it in the settings...I immediately jumped into a quick arcade challenge to test it, and, turns out, first-person perspective is 100% the way to play this game...

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/y...r-all-wrong-like-i-did-for-my-first-16-hours/
 
Back
Top