Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

I think I'm going to pass on this one myself. It'll be the first ship I haven't thrown in for. I'm going to pay off a bill for my sister for a Christmas gift with the play money this month. I've got a hard limit on spending goof off money and this would break that.

If for some reason they don't blitz sell out, I may reconsider but for the time being; I'm sitting this one out.

EDIT: Just posted to Sandi's FB:

1501039_775103102542978_4888908257122397176_o.jpg

Last edited:
I can't believe we have over 11,000 posts in this thread now. I'm still debating picking up a scout, I don't really have a good smaller ship atm.

Just FYI regarding insurance and upgrade packages for those that care:

ANNIVERSARY UPGRADE PLAN - Please Read!

Hey guys! As some of you know, if you purchase a ship upgrade during the sale it does not change the insurance included. (For instance, if I purchase a Hornet Tracker upgrade today as part of the sale, I can make my ship into a Tracker... but I will still have six month insurance instead of two year insurance.) First of all, that is NOT intentional. It has to do with how the upgrade process works, which we will correct for future sales. And we will be making things right for everyone who purchased an upgrade this time around, too.

Here's the plan: on or about December 10th, we will run a script which changes the insurance for any upgraded package from the sale. This will change the insurance from six months to two years, and everything will be right again! What you need to know is that because of how the process works, you must have APPLIED the upgrade before we run the script, or we won't have a way to change it (that's why we're giving it a week past the sale before processing.)

So in summary: if you purchased an upgrade during the sale hoping to change your package or ship to two year insurance, please make sure to apply the upgrade before December 10th. If you upgraded a ship that had LTI, your insurance will not change.

New letter from the chairman:
Greetings Citizens

Congratulations on helping us get to $63 million in crowd funding! Many backers have picked up limited or wave two ships during the anniversary sale, and I’m truly grateful. We’ve always stressed that you don’t need anything beyond a basic starter ship to be able to earn anything or go anywhere in the Star Citizen universe, but we acknowledge that the support the community gives by investing in bigger or additional ships allows Star Citizen to deliver a deeper, richer experience much sooner than we could otherwise. In addition your continued support is allowing us to make some smart investments in the world wide team and technology that will safeguard the future of the game.

I’ve had a number of backers ask me why I don’t ‘stock pile’ letters and have them ready to go immediately… especially during an event like this. My answer is that I don’t feel right assuming things like that when it comes to backers providing the project with millions of dollars! The letters may take a few extra days now, but they’re always from the heart.

The $62 million stretch goal was the penultimate ‘wave four’ ship design:

Genesis-class Starliner – The Genesis is yet another landmark in Crusader Industries’ proud history of transport designs. This ship utilizes award-winning manufacturing techniques and the highest quality parts to create one thing; a next-generation passenger ship at a price that won’t break your budget. Crusader Industries’ proprietary NeoG engine technology offers some of the most efficient flight for a ship of its size. The Genesis line has been cited in Whitley’s as “one of the most reliable and safe public transport ships on the market.” Genesis Starliners are available in a number of stock configurations, focusing on everything from passenger capacity to freight to overall comfort. The UEE military operates multiple Genesis conversions for support roles, including SWACS and starflight test operations.

I love options like this, because they’re more than just fighting ships. They help us populate a living breathing universe… after all, most people are more likely to encounter 737s than F-22s in their daily lives! For the next goal, a whopping 50% of the vote went to the MISC Reliant to be the third starter ship:

MISC Reliant – With the success of the Freelancer “Built for Life” campaign, MISC has moved to join RSI and Consolidated in the single-seat introductory starship arena. Their silver bullet? A starter ship with more than one seat… and their ace in the hole: Xi’An technology. Where the Aurora is a pure utilitarian platform and the Mustang is a delicate, maneuverable personal transport, the Reliant is MISC’s most Xi’An tech-heavy ship to date. Featuring impossibly sleek lines, two separate crew seats and a vertical fuselage design, the Reliant’s streamlined cockpits glow with some of the finest xenotechnology available!

And since we’ve already hit $63 million, the Reliant is in the bag! It sounds like backers are interested in seeing more alien technology! That’s one thing Star Citizen will deliver on. As I said last time, never say never for the other concepts… I especially liked the Drake ‘space motorcycle.’

We’ve added a lot of ships lately, and so we’re making the $64 million goal a fun one.

Pets – We have repair bots, we have fish… but we haven’t implemented a traditional pet system in Star Citizen yet. At $64 million, that changes. From Jones the Cat in Alien to the Battlestar Galactica’s Daggit, pets have a place onboard starships… and we want to give you that option in Star Citizen. Expect traditional terrestrial options, plus anything exotic we can dream up in the Star Citizen universe! (Those Torshu Grey crabs that keep escaping are just the start.) This stretch goal is in honor of Paddington, Strike Dog of the UEES Paul Steed. In one of our first videos Paddington helped us get to $4 million back in the initial campaign, and sadly passed away recently.

For those looking ahead to $65 million, we have a major feature we’re investigating as an option. Suffice it to say, we’ve heard a lot of your feedback about modular ships and we want to expand our plan for how to do them… so check back next letter for more information!

I can’t say it enough: thank you. I often finding myself sitting down to play Arena Commander and just admiring what we’ve made together. Sure, we could have done this behind closed doors… but it wouldn’t have had the same heart and soul, and it wouldn’t be coming together in the same way. Arena Commander is a microcosm of Star Citizen: your backing made it possible, your feedback is making it work the way we imagined together… and your belief in what we’re doing here (and patience with real software development!) is going to push us to continuously iterate and improve. As we deliver more aspects of Star Citizen, from first person combat, to planetside exploration to a gripping single player narrative story to planets and star systems you can fly between, I think it will dawn on all of us just how groundbreaking and unprecedented the journey that we are all taking together is. Nothing of this scope has ever been attempted, and never in this fashion.

See you in the ‘Verse!

— Chris Roberts

so, only 700k away from finding out what that 65m goal is, that is one i want to read about asap.

New letter from the chairman:

We’ve added a lot of ships lately, and so we’re making the $64 million goal a fun one.

Pets – We have repair bots, we have fish… but we haven’t implemented a traditional pet system in Star Citizen yet. At $64 million, that changes. From Jones the Cat in Alien to the Battlestar Galactica’s Daggit, pets have a place onboard starships… and we want to give you that option in Star Citizen. Expect traditional terrestrial options, plus anything exotic we can dream up in the Star Citizen universe! (Those Torshu Grey crabs that keep escaping are just the start.) This stretch goal is in honor of Paddington, Strike Dog of the UEES Paul Steed. In one of our first videos Paddington helped us get to $4 million back in the initial campaign, and sadly passed away recently.

<sound of my head hitting the desk repeatedly>

pets don't bother me, worst case scenario is you capture someones pet and they pay a fortune to get them back muahahaha.

seems like pets are something puuurrly optional to take part in
It's more the fact that they're wasting time on it in what's supposed to be a space sim, not Second Life.

so just melted my Xian scout and my connie. Grabbed a merchant man and upgraded my cutlass package to a cutlass blue package so hopefully they add the 2 year insurance to it, and I have $75 in spare store credits to use for future ships. Not sure what I will grab for $75 that cant be filled in by my cutlass and merchant man, mabey a racer like the omega mustang or something when its available

Well since the upgrades wont carry the insurance i had to buy my F7C now, bought the Dragon Con special for $100 so my Super hornet was only $155 ;)

AxhEzvC.jpg

It's more the fact that they're wasting time on it in what's supposed to be a space sim, not Second Life.

i guess that depends on how much time is "wasted" i mean we already have fish, and the do need to get animal AI done even without pets because of animals on planets ect. stray dogs or cats in an alley ect all add to the atmosphere as well as natural wildlife.

allowing those animals to roam in your hangar or ship does not seem like a lot of extra work if those assets are going to be there any way, there just might be a little more diversity than what was originally expected.

so just melted my Xian scout and my connie. Grabbed a merchant man and upgraded my cutlass package to a cutlass blue package so hopefully they add the 2 year insurance to it, and I have $75 in spare store credits to use for future ships. Not sure what I will grab for $75 that cant be filled in by my cutlass and merchant man, mabey a racer like the omega mustang or something when its available

Maybe use it on an Avenger variant early next year?

Last edited:
Man, I really wish that there was a CCU for the tali. I would upgrade my 350R and melt my cutlass blue just to get it.

Man, I really wish that there was a CCU for the tali. I would upgrade my 350R and melt my cutlass blue just to get it.

i ended up just getting it, 2 years in game insurance seems like plenty to me, sure not as good as lti, but it should be long enough that you have no issues earning enough credits and be situated well enough that once you do need to renew it there should be no worries about it.

i mean i could of not got it now and bought it later and ccu'd a herald into it but it needs to go through a hangar ready sale and flyable sale and price increases i just did not want to pay 300+ for it to get it with LTI,

so i liquidated my heralds and bought it with credits, still holding onto 1 herald to ccu to an Andromeda tho for my phoenix upgrade.

i am $301 away from hitting Grand Admiral.. so close heh.

Really? That's the coolest ship in the game!

it is, but its not usefull. Same reason I didn't grab the hornet. I want this game for exploration, trade and piracy. Having a ship with no storage room eliminates half the job. Add in the fact the cutlass is already a nimble fighter that can pirate and explore, and with my new merchantman I can just earn a khartu.

it is, but its not usefull. Same reason I didn't grab the hornet. I want this game for exploration, trade and piracy. Having a ship with no storage room eliminates half the job. Add in the fact the cutlass is already a nimble fighter that can pirate and explore, and with my new merchantman I can just earn a khartu.

i didnt keep it either, partly because i didnt want to start with an alien ship and second i wanted the super hornet more since i also have the F7A upgrade/trimkit so i needed something for it to be attached too and i didnt need a fighter overlap with having both the scout and the hornet.

Looks like they'll be a few melted Constellation Aquilas. I think the plan is that the Carrack might not be fly able without an npc or PCs crew though.

Shiftys back for The day! every one give thanks!

happy thanksgiving.

looks like i missed quite s bit.

A lot more views of the Carrack on around the verse today. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14337-Around-The-Verse-Episode-22

So this beast... Javelin

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14335-Introducing-The-Javelin-Destroyer

Technical Specifications

Length: 345m
Beam: 148m
Height : 65m

Null-Cargo Mass: TBC

Cargo Capacity: 5400 standard cargo units (SCU)

Minimum Crew: 23

Max Power Plant: 2 x Size 8
Factory Power Plant: TBA

Max Engine (Primary Thrust): 4 x TR7
Factory Engine: TBC
Maneuvering Thrusters: 12 x TR4
Factory Maneuvering Thrusters: TBC

Max Shield: 14
Shield: TBC

Weapons:
x13 Size 5 ATA Turrets
x2 Size 7 STS Turrets
x2 9m Desolator Class Anit-Capital Ship Torpedo launchers

Escape Pods: 16 × 5-man 3m x 3m x 4m (Total &#8211; 80 )
Modular Component Bays: x12
Modular Rooms: x6

YhApou5.jpg

we hit 70 Org members, there are enough escape pods for everyone lol... unless Shifty launches them half loaded so he has more test subjects.

Wow... dat minimum crew size. So many turrets.

Thats why I just went ahead and got the Aurora LX with 2 year ship, so I can CCU it when I am ready.

That's why I bought Aurora LX with LTI last year. :D

Wow... dat minimum crew size. So many turrets.

yeah it will be something to work at, will be a lot better getting used to the idris-m and outfitting that before jumping right in and trying to do that on a javelin.

once we have the Idris-M game play and coordination down we can turn our attention to try funding a destroyer and building up to that.

Can't wait to see the Org Idris in formation with some other ships like tali's and fighters prowling around and a couple reclaimers ready scoop up what ever mess we make lol.

See, stuff like that picture above makes me somewhat interested in this game. If there is a super cohesive group of players from here that all rally around massive ships like that.....well that would be neat. I still don't feel like blowing $100 on some average ship in the game though.

See, stuff like that picture above makes me somewhat interested in this game. If there is a super cohesive group of players from here that all rally around massive ships like that.....well that would be neat. I still don't feel like blowing $100 on some average ship in the game though.

You mean a ship like this one?
W4rjQiX.jpg

tjDrItM.jpg

Join us friend
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/DOKAZON

Last edited:

luckily you dont have to spend more than $20 if you manage to get one of the 5k packages going up tomorrow, or you just pay 35 or 40 not sure what the cheapest package was with beta access.

there is no real reason to spend more on a ship unless you choose too.

$20 Aurora Packages are up at 900am EST.

They are going at a steady pace, about 1750 out of 5000 gone in 20 minutes

luckily you dont have to spend more than $20 if you manage to get one of the 5k packages going up tomorrow, or you just pay 35 or 40 not sure what the cheapest package was with beta access.

there is no real reason to spend more on a ship unless you choose too.

Absolutely! Wildace has the right of it. One great thing about Star Citizen is that all of these ships (even that cost $2,500 as the Javelin) will be available in game (Public universe) without an additional cost. Those who are purchasing are typically doing so to support expanding the game's scope, to have the ship "from the start", and to get additional bonuses (Lifetime Insurance, 2 Year Insurance etc..).

Now is a great time to get into the game because ships and packages not normally available are present for sale! As Wildace said, there will also be some introductory packages that normally would have been around $40 (still less than the cost of a normal AAA title today!) released for $20! What's more, is these packages will likely come with the Anniversary insurance instead of the normal 1 month, 2 month etc, which are available for all ships purchased during the Anniversary sale! This is the second-longest duration insurance around, eclipsed only by "LTI / Lifetime Insurance". Note that hull insurance is also purchasable in game using in-game currency (ie no real money transaction), but many enthusiasts like the idea of their ships having LTI and thus never having to pay premiums for that ship in game, which, combined with the somewhat limited nature of LTI ships etc... mean there are many who are willing to pay extra to get a package with LTI!

Furthermore - by creating a Star Citizen account and buying a single package, you'll have the chance to accrue certain community rewards. During earlier parts of funding, many funding goals (each million etc..) granted a specific item (ie ORC MK9 Combat Armor etc..), but even though they've moved away from linking each item to a funding goal directly, they still give some extras (like UEC credits etc) and other items , now and then to anyone considered a "Backer". That is to say, anyone with an account on which at least one purchase has been made directly. Note that things gifted to you do not count - it is what your account has spent in total. However, even a single $5 purchase of one of the "extras" (like a skin, ship Upgrade, or special item etc) qualifies.

As you can see, many of the thread regulars (Lorien, Wildace, Shifty and others) have formed an Organization, which I highly recommend and as posted, Lorien already owns an Idris-M Frigate, which is the second largest capital ship sold to backers (with only the new Javelin being larger.). Follow his link to DOKAZON and I'm sure you'll be able to participate in crewing everything from single seat fighters, to larger multi-person exploration/trading/combat ships, to massive capital ships!

If you have any questions about starting out, what package/ship to buy, feel free to ask!

Wow, I started writing this last night so a few updates...

It seems the Anniversary Starter $20 packages include 6 months of insurance, which is still boosted considerably from the norm, but not quite the same as the 2 years on the "full priced" Anniversary edition ships in the store. Still, it is a good value indeed and it comes with full Beta access, as well as the Arena Commander pass. At the moment, either they've not started selling these $20 packages, or the first lot of them have all sold out. Likewise, the first lot of Javelins seem to be gone as well...

Back