Staples Starts Computer Recycle Program

HardOCP News

[H] News
Staples has announced the expansion of its electronics waste recycling program. The company will now accept used computers and monitors at any of its 1,400 stores for a fee of $10.

The step by the world's largest office products supplier follows similar initiatives by many computer makers and retailers to confront the growing environmental and public health risk posed by discarded computers and other electronic gadgets containing toxic metals and chemicals.

What they dont tell you is that the re-claim all the gold from the pc parts and make a tidy sum from selling it. Saw a program about it on the discovery channel the other day!

I'd rather sell my junk on Ebay and make $10...

Exactly, except of course you can make way more than $10 selling off your old motherboards, memory, cpu's, graphics cards, etc. People will buy anything on ebay, as long as it's not too heavy to ship.

(In other words, you can't sell your ancient crappy monitors, give those to Staples I guess)

I used to work for them. Personally I do not think they would charge unless they needed to in some form. They may want to make a small profit on paper, but there's always the man hours and so on and so forth, so its hard to say if its worthwhile or not. I think if they even could just break even, that the company would do it.

Actually, this is pretty good news for me. I have a number of old dead CRT's that my town wants to charge $50 to take away.

I used to work for them. Personally I do not think they would charge unless they needed to in some form. They may want to make a small profit on paper, but there's always the man hours and so on and so forth, so its hard to say if its worthwhile or not. I think if they even could just break even, that the company would do it.

Psht, they'll be getting tons of stuff from idiots that think their 2 year old computer is broken because Windows won't load. I'm sure they'll make profit, even before the fee.

I'm not about to pay somebody $10 to take my junk. I'll let it sit in the closet and collect dust before I do that.

I'd rather save older parts in case someone I know could use a computer or a more modern system. That or give to charity or something.

This is great to get rid of old CRT monitors, especially the broken ones :). Thanks for the heads-up!

If they did it for free, more people would use it, and they are still making a profit. Charging $10 is just being greedy and an excuse for cheapskates not to recycle, so it will sit or go to the curb and get picked up with the trash.

lol they CHARGE a fee for something they will profit from

So what's wrong with capitalism? So what if somebody found out a way to make some money off my garbage. Good for them! What's the alternative, put all that crap in the landfill? So it cost me $10 pitiful dollars. It's worth it to get all this junk out of my house.

PLEASE, I will throw my old stuff in a dumpster or leave it on the side of the road before paying someone to take it away. This is exactly the opposite of an incentive.

Hmm do I want to pay $10 to have my crap taken away or leave it in front of their door or in the dumpster behind their building, tough decision.:D

PLEASE, I will throw my old stuff in a dumpster or leave it on the side of the road before paying someone to take it away. This is exactly the opposite of an incentive.

Hmm do I want to pay $10 to have my crap taken away or leave it in front of their door or in the dumpster behind their building, tough decision.:D

So you'd rather be a criminal, and dirty up your city instead of getting rid of toxic waste the correct way? ehh, okay.

I don't see a problem with charging for big bulky items because most Staples stores have very limited space to store this shit, and it costs of time and money to ship it out and what not. By the way, there's no fee for LCD monitors, and most smaller electronics items.

And no, "we", or any one who works for Staples does not harvest the precious metals in the products, we sell them to scrap companies who do that and recycle them for us.

Actually, this is pretty good news for me. I have a number of old dead CRT's that my town wants to charge $50 to take away.

Show the economists community your town is raping you by deliberately throwing those chunks of metal in the river and claiming your town gave you no other choice because you couldn't afford to throw it away correctly.

Maybe we can get welfare to waste money on something else ..... please government, I need money to throw my stuff away that I've already paid for and been taxed on.

So you'd rather be a criminal, and dirty up your city instead of getting rid of toxic waste the correct way? ehh, okay.

I don't see a problem with charging for big bulky items because most Staples stores have very limited space to store this shit, and it costs of time and money to ship it out and what not. By the way, there's no fee for LCD monitors, and most smaller electronics items.

And no, "we", or any one who works for Staples does not harvest the precious metals in the products, we sell them to scrap companies who do that and recycle them for us.

So they shouldn't take it then. If your worried about your local community surviving the struggle of the precious well-being of its citizens; Simply call the guy that drives the truck around town with the sticker "We pick up garbage for free!". Atleast a community member can take scrap to the local scrap place and make a few bucks.

I have seen multiple vehicles, some of which are spraypainted with messages like the one mentioned above.

Congrats, As mentioned above, there are plenty of services that will drive to your house, pick it up, and deal with it. Why does it take $10 for Staples to accept something that YOU bring THEM?, which they just turn around and sell for profit anyway? Pure greed.

Back