Votes: 13 20.6%
  • hibernate

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • shut down

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • nothing

Votes: 29 46.0%

• Total voters
I used to use Hibernate because I tend to leave many things open, but now apparently it's missing from my new computer so I just use Sleep because it's quick and seems to turn off (almost?) everything as well.

I was unaware that it was possible to "shut down" as you say, and I have never heard of this "standby" and "hibernate" thing either... sooo......;)

I fold, 24/7.

I used to use Hibernate because I tend to leave many things open
Yeah, that's the same reason I use hibernate. :cool: I hibernate at night and in the morning before I leave for work.

Shut down, because it's never really doing anything overnight.

what is this 'shut down' business? I let it go 24/7... until something crashes or windows makes me restart for an update...

I thought shut down hibernate and sleep were just for laptops.. J/K

My computer is like the refrigerator I don't want to have to wait for it to boot up to use it..... and I fold too

I also leave mine on 24/7, the monitor does go into standby after 1 hour though.

I leave mine on for 24/7 most of the time...spend the time folding...I'll shut down once in awhile for a night...or maybe when I go to work...might have to shut down more when summer comes and it gets really hot while I'm at work...

Not trying to hijack this thread.....but...

I'm glad to see that some of you that run your machines 24/7 are folding. It's a great cause and we have the best team in the world right here.

How's about all you that run 24/7, folding or not, come on down to the DC subforum and say hello, and maybe get to know some of us? We'd love to have you and maybe some of you non-folders might learn a bit about the project and decide to join the [H]orde:)

Anyhow, that all. After reading through this thread again it just got me to thinking, if you have the spare cycles, might as well put them to good use..

I shut down at night... considering i have a VERY loud PC and its right next to my bed its not the best idea to leave it running :p

I used to use Hibernate because I tend to leave many things open, but now apparently it's missing from my new computer so I just use Sleep because it's quick and seems to turn off (almost?) everything as well.

in XP? Click shut down but hold SHIFT and standby switches to hibernate option.

I had to change a weird BIOS option in my last PC to get sleep working correctly, but I switched to that a couple of weeks ago. My new PC had all power modes working perfectly out of the box. I'm much more satisfied with sleep than hibernate now. If I didn't have a UPS I would probably still use hibernate though.

Leave it running, as well as my media center PC and my PS3...All folding!

normally run 24/7 or is shutdown. Sleep is okay for a laptop. Not good for desktop if you want a UPS to command an orderly shutdown from a power failure. Hibernate is nice if you want a little faster startup resuming where you left off and the UPS is no longer an issue.

PC runs 24/7. My monitor shuts off after an hour, but night time is when my system(s) defrag, virus scan, and update.

shut down... my system does updates while i am @ work but while i sleep its off

laptop is used as music player overnight, server is torrenting overnight. So, nothing for either of them.

Not sure which one to pick b/c I use hybrid sleep in Vista. None of the programs complain and everything seems to be okay.

If i leave mine ON 24/7 it tends to slow down, So i shut it down everyday.

that's windows for you, i assume :) Happens for my older systems like the P4 3.0 Northwood. Things run fast on the C2D though.
nothing like a fresh reboot to get things fast again.

I shut mine down at night, mostly because I'm in my last year of high school and still live with the parents. They don't like the power consumption of it being on 24/7. If I had a choice (i.e. my parent's didn't care), I would set my computer to shut off for about an hour a day, then start back up (auto-boot at 6 AM, auto-shutdown at 5 AM, granted it's idle at that point). This is because I fold >.>

I also leave both my computers on 24/7. I honestly don't know how I sleep at night with this thing a few feet from my head, it's insanely loud.. but somehow it doesn't bother me.

Back