• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Standby for LCD: Yes or No?

ho72

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 20, 2005
Messages
119
When I ran a CRT, I always had Windows put the monitor in standby after 30 minutes of non-use. What about with a LCD? Instead of switching off a high power circuit, Windows is just turning off the backlights. Turning lights off and on is typically not a great way to extend their lifespan, but maybe there is more to it. So I'm asking... what's the thinking regarding power management and the new panels?
 
i've always used power management to turn off the TFT after 10 minutes of non use, and never seen any issues with it. Leaving images on the screen for prolonged periods of time can lead to occasional issues with image persistance, and has occurred on some TFT's if they are left on too long. CCFL backlights also have a set life span, obviously this is very long, but it's probably better for them to be preserved as much as possible.
 
I have it set for so long that I usually just turn it off myself when done with it. I hate setting things to like 30mins-1hr and then right when it turns off I need to get back on. The more you turn it on and off also has an effect on its life span no?
 
I think I'd disagree. Look at it this way: if you took two monitors and had them running full power for the same number of hours, but you turned one on and off three times as much, you really wouldn't expect it to last only a third as long would you?

But if you took two monitors and turned them on and off the same number of times, but kept one running three times as long, I would definitely expect one to have a backlight that's three times as worn out.

I;d favour a few more on and off cycles if it meant significantly reduced up-time for the backlight. I have mine set to switch off ofter 20mins. I rarely have to wake it up soon after its turned off.
 
infecto said:
...and then right when it turns off I need to get back on...

Thats how I feel. I use the power button to control power management. Things like this are always somewhere in the middle. Shutting something off and on a lot shortens its life span, leaving it on all the time makes you burn through its life quickly. Think of it this way, if it runs 24/7 then you are going to wear out because they never get a chance to "rest" while everytime you turn something on it heats up and then cools down when you shut it off. The constant heat cycling is also hard on components. Most if not all components can handle this in everyday use with ease, but be sent into early failure if you are on either extreme.

I use a general rule, if I am not going to be away from my computer for more than 2+ hours I shut it off, otherwise it is always on. For me this basically means it gets turned on when I get home from work, and shut off when I go to bed, it then usually stays off until I get home from work the next day. My work one goes through the same thing. On when I get there in the morning and off when I leave for the day.

This way I only power cycle my LCDs/CRTs 1-2 per day, but yet it is off for 14-16 hours per day, so the doesn't eat through the backlights lifespan quickly.
 
caboosemoose said:
I think I'd disagree. Look at it this way: if you took two monitors and had them running full power for the same number of hours, but you turned one on and off three times as much, you really wouldn't expect it to last only a third as long would you?

But if you took two monitors and turned them on and off the same number of times, but kept one running three times as long, I would definitely expect one to have a backlight that's three times as worn out.

I;d favour a few more on and off cycles if it meant significantly reduced up-time for the backlight. I have mine set to switch off ofter 20mins. I rarely have to wake it up soon after its turned off.


Its all relative. Your example is kind of faulty because your not really counting what kind of time span your turning the monitors on and off. You burn a little bit of the coating every time you turn the bulb on. And if you keep turning it on and off in short amounts of time you are more then likely using up the life of the bulb faster then just leaving it on. So you can't really say oh because this one was on 3x longer its going to be dead sooner then if you turned one on and off 3x more.
 
Back
Top