STALKER is absolutely fantastic!

How do you pick up weapons? All the message tells me is to press "()" to pick up weapon?

That msg most likely means you didnt bind it. Rebind it to a key and that key is what you use to pick up stuff.

Yah the Use/Pickup button is a very commonly used one. Usually is F. Can use it to search bodies, drag bodies, pickup stuff, and probably more.

I dont know why people say the AI is bad, it runs well in large scale fights and can control easily 50 enemies at once during a large battle including your involvement, packs of dogs seem to act like packs of dogs and have a pack mentality, troops don't just run straight at you, they use cover and appear to try and flank.

The guns are fairly realistic, you can't consistantly hit with SMG's over about 30 feet, you NEED to close in using cover, it maybe sparse in some places, you just need to use lean to see when your enemies are in cover and reloading or whatever, get some grenades out there, don't horde them.

I played on the 2nd difficulty, it sounds like the 3d difficulty is a bit too hard, enemies aren't tagging me at ranges I cannot hit them, their guns are equally as inaccurate as mine.

Just wait until you get the G36, fantastic weapon, can scope and use single fire mode to get headshots consistantly at about 100ft, you start finding them when you venture out into freedom territory.

just downloaded this to give it a try and man im glad i did. What a waste if i had ran out and bought it. 3 years ago this game would have decent graphics and pretty good gameplay but compared to titles like FEAR, Half Life 2, and Quake, games who are still a few years old this game doesnt come close. Subpar graphics, subpar gameplay. Time to uninstall and delete this waste of hard drive space...

rofl, subpar gameplay compared to Quake and Hl2? Which in general are fairly linear, Scripted driven games. Whereas Stalker is open ended to a degree with exploration and quite fairly well done AI that acts on it's own.

I dont know why people say the AI is bad, it runs well in large scale fights and can control easily 50 enemies at once during a large battle including your involvement, packs of dogs seem to act like packs of dogs and have a pack mentality, troops don't just run straight at you, they use cover and appear to try and flank.

The guns are fairly realistic, you can't consistantly hit with SMG's over about 30 feet, you NEED to close in using cover, it maybe sparse in some places, you just need to use lean to see when your enemies are in cover and reloading or whatever, get some grenades out there, don't horde them.

I played on the 2nd difficulty, it sounds like the 3d difficulty is a bit too hard, enemies aren't tagging me at ranges I cannot hit them, their guns are equally as inaccurate as mine.

Just wait until you get the G36, fantastic weapon, can scope and use single fire mode to get headshots consistantly at about 100ft, you start finding them when you venture out into freedom territory.

i pretty much agree with everything here. the G36 is a really nice weapon. only thing that bothers me is the size of it on the screen lol.

the accuracy isnt as bad as people make it out to be. if you play it like every otehr FPS your going to MISS alot.

i just started a game on the hardest diff. setting and cleared out the first mission "the car park" with the starting pistol and using only 1 bullet on each guy i just made sure i hit quick save after each of those kills incase i screwed up or wanted to try something. i only had to reload a quick save once when i knew there was a guy aorund the corner but i didnt know how many. so i pulled out my knife and rushed around the corner to find 3 guys and i stabbed 2 to death before the 3rd one finished me off lol that was fun and worth the reload..

the key is to aim for the head and single shot, not just aim for the head and spray but that first shot seems pretty dead on to me if your crouched. its the recoil that messes up the rest of the shots. just be sneaky and shoot em in the head. dont stand there and fight like rambo if they notice you just killed somone run around the building and shoot them in the back while they are trying to figure out where you went

Ive never played a FPS that was so innacurate. You can shoot and shoot and shoot and they dont die! Frankly its getting so frustraiting Im not wanting to play.

They dont die coz you aint hitting them, everyone just got use to HL kind of aiming - where all u need is to point the cross press the button - no matter how far away they are... in reality its different..
Also wait till you get hold of better guns with better accuracy and u can takeout enemies with 1 shot to the head from greater distance. or u can creep up to one of the bad guys and try shooting him in the head from 5-7 feet away even with basic weapons - you wont miss:)
I think the game it great, 8/10 imo

just downloaded this to give it a try and man im glad i did. What a waste if i had ran out and bought it. 3 years ago this game would have decent graphics and pretty good gameplay but compared to titles like FEAR, Half Life 2, and Quake, games who are still a few years old this game doesnt come close. Subpar graphics, subpar gameplay. Time to uninstall and delete this waste of hard drive space...

Huh???? The game is graphically stunning at 1920. It's as good or better than HL2 in many aspects and very different from FEAR. The open ended game play is solid.

It's not a standard run and gun shooter.

This game is the way all FPS should be, we just got used to the wrong kind of gaming.
You need to buy the game and play it like everyone else here and you'll see.

I ws skeptical at first, but now find this to be one of the best games I've ever played.:D

People got too used to: place crosshair over head, click button, "boom headshot".

Now comes Stalker, where you fire in bursts and volleys, and not every single bullet is going to "boom headshot".

Yes - though the fact that it takes about 5 AK rounds to the torso to take out someone wearing a leather jacket at default settings is a bit silly.

The enemy AI seems to be intelligent. They react to sound and sight well enough. Especially sight, they can see perfectly in the dark and through foliage. :p

In the first quest where you raid the bandit camp to rescue that one guy, I noticed the AI vs. AI battles were incredibly stupid. They're so critical about sound, they'll forget what/who they just saw and face in the direction of another threat. For example, I circled around the camp to attack the bandits from behind while my buddies grabbed their attention from the front. When I was in the middle of the maneuver, one bandit made a ruckus when moving from the garage to the neighboring building. One of the stalkers stopped, looked in his direction and slowly walked around the building to see where the guy went, then walked straight backwards into another building where there was a bandit waiting with a sawed off shotty. I hear the bandit firing his shotty like a maniac, reloading, firing again, then the AI stalker goes flying out the door face first (as if he never turned around to engage).

When I download the patch, I'll surely be doing this part again. I can take screenshots of my exact location when I observed all this. It was good for a laugh though. :D

Yes - though the fact that it takes about 5 AK rounds to the torso to take out someone wearing a leather jacket at default settings is a bit silly.

Would you believe ... mutant leather from mutant cows?

Is it me or does it seem like this game is seperating the boys from the men?:D

Yes, if you cant shoot the guy once and move on, obviously the game sucks.
And if you cant carry three automatic weapons and a BFG with unlimited ammunition,the game sucks.

The imagination and gameplay here are superb. Yes, the AI will do some dumb stuff once in a while, but overall this IS a great game, end of story.

And if you cant carry three automatic weapons and a BFG with unlimited ammunition,the game sucks.

The imagination and gameplay here are superb. Yes, the AI will do some dumb stuff once in a while, but overall this IS a great game, end of story.

I agree!

Seems so, some people out there simply cannot live without forumla of CS style headshot gameplay. Which is a shame, because the whole taking cover, moving up close enough for a decent shot, out flanking and all the rest of it make the gunfights actually fun, and last more than 5 seconds, which in my book is good!

I very much like that style of play, I liked Rainbow 6 Vegas, you couldn't use SMG's at range in that either, you have to lay down suppressing fire, switch positions, move up close, you had to give yourself an advantage to close the gap and get the kill.

I can only speak for the 2nd (2 of 4) difficulty setting, i think some people are setting it to the 3rd hardest and finding it too hard, I've not tired this but if you are finding it way to hard even after adapting to the style of play you need, then I suggest restarting it on a bit easier.

It's starting to seem that way to me, I haven't been having much trouble with all these things people are complaining about. I just adapted to the play style of the game, and kept on rolling.

I agree entirely. I've also seen people complain about the ending sucking. There are 7 endings. Apparently only one or 2 of them are correct, happy endings. If the one you got sucks, it means you didn't do something right along the way.

I can’t wait to try the patch I just purchased the game on Sunday so I am only a few hours into it, with that said the game is buggy, some of the missions don’t work correctly, some don’t give locations, and some don’t get rid of a location on the GPS after completing the mission, on the main story mission when you save the STALKER using a medkit whatever he has to say about SHRET? doesn’t show up it just closes, its just not polished which sucks since the game has been in development for so long.

Allot of my complaints seem to be fixed in this patch, stealth wasn’t really possible but people are saying the AI doesn’t have superman vision now. I don’t know yet hard to say if it was worth the purchase because while I am impressed with the world/AI they created the game needed more playtesting. Performance is sluggish in certain areas especially in daylight my system only manages 30-40FPS outside, at night however it runs smooth even with the awesome lightning/storm effects, speaking of which lighting is very well done in this game. Apparently AA is not supported in the Geforce 7 series and only works in software which kills performance so I don’t use it. All in All I am still on the fence hopefully this patch will address allot of my issues with the game…

*** WARNING!!! ***

Saved games will NOT WORK with the patch! I patched my game and lost all my saves... I was only an hour or so into it, but it still pisses me off so badly. Gorram THQ and their stupid programmers! :mad: :mad: :mad: I've never seen anything like this before.

Agreed

This is not just an FPS. Its a damn good realistic FPS that hasnt conjured up to the "everyday standard" version we are all used to. You know, the sniping with a pistol kind of FPS play. The auto healing after getting shot.

This is not that. Its realistic.

Very true but I decided that I wasn't too far into the game to not patch and start over. Didn't want to get towards the end and hit a quest bug. Over all it does improve the balance and gives you a reason to actually trade (quests don't break as easy) but it is little easier after the patch. I had turn the difficulty level back up to master. That is the only downside to the patch. Maybe it balances out as I get farther in.

It would be cool if this game and Oblivion were to inspire some more designers to move towards more open environments and open quest systems.

On a side note, when was the last time THQ released a good FPS? Red Faction (one)? I hadn't played a game from them in ages.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a pretty decent game, but nothing phenomenal. I'm sure everyone remembers what it was meant to be however many years ago - if not you can check out this page and look for the DirectX 9.1 trailer - and it just seems like they spent all this extra time taking out content. If you look at this map it looks like they took out most of the map.

But, I guess I am satisfied overall. It is an enjoyable game, probably would be more so if I hadn't had my hopes up. I especially like the pretty intelligent A.I. that constantly tries to flank and outmaneuver me.

Definitely worth playing in my book. I'm only at 1600x1200 (19" CRT) but with all the goodies maxxed out, and I'm impressed with the feel of the game. The guns do take some getting used to, but I'm glad its not a "click, boom, headshot". It requires you to use cover, and tactics (like someone pointed out, drawing people into killzones, etc). Once you get the SMG and shorty AK things ease up, but in the beginning it's pretty rough with the pistol and sawn-off shotty (till you get some slugs! )

I'm also playing on Veteran, and it is a real challenge. I F6 after almost ever encounter / kill, and I think that's a good sign.

*** WARNING!!! ***

Saved games will NOT WORK with the patch! I patched my game and lost all my saves... I was only an hour or so into it, but it still pisses me off so badly. Gorram THQ and their stupid programmers! :mad: :mad: :mad: I've never seen anything like this before.

Well, if you read the patch release, it stated clearly you would loose your saves. Yes its stinky, but what are you going to do???? cry???
Play it through and patch it the next time.:D

Well, if you read the patch release, it stated clearly you would loose your saves. Yes its stinky, but what are you going to do???? cry???
Play it through and patch it the next time.:D
First of all, I am less than happy with your derisory attitude, but I guess I can live with that. What I'm going to do is restart the game, period.
Secondly---I didn't read that before installing the patch, and I should have. But what's most annoying is that I have yet to encounter a game where, once patched, you lose your savegames. It's like making a painkiller drug that, as a side effect, will grow a big cock-shaped rash on your forehead. "Oh, it's written clearly in the instructions!" so it's okay. Not quite, my friend. This is very poor planning, plain and simple.

First of all, I am less than happy with your derisory attitude, but I guess I can live with that. What I'm going to do is restart the game, period.
Secondly---I didn't read that before installing the patch, and I should have. But what's most annoying is that I have yet to encounter a game where, once patched, you lose your savegames. It's like making a painkiller drug that, as a side effect, will grow a big cock-shaped rash on your forehead. "Oh, it's written clearly in the instructions!" so it's okay. Not quite, my friend. This is very poor planning, plain and simple.

First of all, you're preaching to the choir.
Secondly, it still stands, in black and white. You have to read the whole statement before you push the button. Dont blame the company for something you did, despite their warning.The developer decided to do it that way, dont take anything in life for granted. I agree it stinks, but I didnt put giant red flares all over the place. Grow up.
Third, in the grand scheme of things.....this is a game, get over it and calm down, stop whining about it.:eek:

Allright, guys. Guys. I don't want to have to lock this thread. Take your qualms through PMs.

Besides, it's not like this is the first game to kill your saves when you patch. It's been happening for years, and still happens every now and then. I'm sure if they could have kept it from happening easily they would have, but it was probably a big PITA for them, so they didn't.

First of all, you're preaching to the choir.
Secondly, it still stands, in black and white. You have to read the whole statement before you push the button. Dont blame the company for something you did, despite their warning.The developer decided to do it that way, dont take anything in life for granted. I agree it stinks, but I didnt put giant red flares all over the place. Grow up.
Third, in the grand scheme of things.....this is a game, get over it and calm down, stop whining about it.:eek:
LoL... in the grand scheme of things, we shouldn't even be talking about this. I am disappointed about an unusual (no matter if warned-about) thing and I posted my dissent. End of the story. I've already re-played the game back to that point. Still, I am sure some users who do not read the statement before they patch will appreciate the advice. :) Period.

The OP has nicely asked that you take this debate elsewhere.

Now I'm asking as well.

How does the combat fair to a game like BF2/Bf2142? It seems like the accuracy and open battlefield nature would make them similar in tactical style.

How does the combat fair to a game like BF2/Bf2142? It seems like the accuracy and open battlefield nature would make them similar in tactical style.

well BF2/2142 are more like arcade style combat to me, where stalker is more sim-like (not a true sim though)

Does anyone know where I can repair my suit(s)? After the patch they degrade incredibly fast and I am finding myself having to replace my suits often.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a pretty decent game, but nothing phenomenal. I'm sure everyone remembers what it was meant to be however many years ago - if not you can check out this page and look for the DirectX 9.1 trailer - and it just seems like they spent all this extra time taking out content. If you look at this map it looks like they took out most of the map...
That DirectX9.1 trailer was interesting. I personally skipped most of the hype about this game because I gave up on it being released. The funny thing is the game looks 9/10 as good as that video except for the lack of physics on background objects. I guess they had to turn it down to compensate for the AI and persistent world thing. In the video it reminded me of a cross between Crysis and FEAR. No doubt the game is good but yes, there was some lost potential. There is always the sequel.:D

Not at all similar. Think more like Ghost Recon rather than BF2. BF2 is a much faster paced game that allows for running and gunning. The accuracy penalty for moving while shooting in BF2 is almost none existent and things like dolphin diving even post patch 1.41 allow for close up engagement. You can do a lot of cool things in BF2, most of which are completely unrealistic but make for great online game play.

STALKER its pretty much about who uses cover better. Enemies at any distance can only be hit while stationary and aiming.

Back