• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ST32000641AS vs ST2000DM001

Ajiki-kun

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 7, 2012
Messages
484
Both are 2TB 7200RPM drives.

Taking price out of the equation, which is better? I'm actually leaning toward the ST32000641AS because it doesn't have the over-active parking heads phenomenon.

Are there any other functional differences between the two?
 
ST32000641AS = older drive, 500GB platters (total 4)
ST2000DM001 = 1TB platters (total 2)

The higher density platters make the drive significantly faster, and less platters also mean lower temps. However I'd give more weight to price and length of warranty than # of platters - that's not the most important metric especially if you're just storing large media/movie files. Example the hundreds of Hitachi drives I've owned the last 7 years are all 5-platter, pretty much never fail, and during those years I've seen the threads with people getting hung up on platter counts come and go.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top