SSHD hdd seagate $85

Those have been around for many many years and I had one in my previous build as an SSD was insanely expensive at that time and there were no large-capacity ones either. It's certainly better than a regular hard drive under the right conditions so it'd be great for a budget build.

Can't you just use a smallish ssd or even use a ramdisk as a cache drive for a regular hard drive? It says this is only 64mb cache on this hybrid drive anyway.

Not bad, this hovers around $95 on Amazon. I just bought one for my PS4 Pro, works great.

Great alternative to a pricey large capacity SSD used as a secondary drive for digital download games, especially when paired with a true SSD as primary/boot.

I wish the 2.5" versions were the same 7200rpm like these 3.5"

Nice price! I also bought one of these for my ps4 and I’m very happy with it. (2.5” obv)

Have a 1tb 2.5” model in another system. The 8gb ssd cache does make a difference in day to day use. It’s not near as fast as a pure ssd obviously but it does provide similar snappiness in the operating system.

I wouldn't say this deal is on "fire" or anything but its certainly a good drive at a good price : ). Always loved these hybrid drives.

It's what i use for my gaming drive. nice little spinning disk until large cap SSDs maybe hit a good price point.

These were $65 at Amazon in Nov of 2017. This is an OK price. These are SMR drives with 8G ssd cache. If that works for you, great. Just be warned they are SMR. I'm not sure how performance could be as a boot drive...I've never tried.

Also: These have 5 year warranty standard which IMHO is great. Same price at Amazon

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
These were $65 at Amazon in Nov of 2017. This is an OK price. These are SMR drives with 8G ssd cache. If that works for you, great. Just be warned they are SMR. I'm not sure how performance could be as a boot drive...I've never tried.

Also: These have 5 year warranty standard which IMHO is great. Same price at Amazon

IIRC, only the smaller 2.5" variant uses SMR while the larger 3.5" used PMR. Can anyone confirm?

You linked the 2.5", which differs from the OP. The Amazon link to the 2TB 3.5" is here (same price)

Last edited:
IIRC, only the smaller 2.5" variant uses SMR while the larger 3.5" used PMR. Can anyone confirm?

You linked the 2.5", which differs from the OP. The Amazon link to the 2TB 3.5" is here (same price)
My mistake....I read 3.5 as 2.5

Yes, 2.5 should be SMR. 3.5 should be PMR. Thank you for the correction.

Back