ssf case mini-itx,flexatx mod?

onedestinazn2

[H]ard|Gawd
so my little brother just bought a case off of craigslist that he thought he might be able to use with his matx board but it turns out it is a chyang fun cfs868 case which is a flexatx case which doesnt even have the included motherboard with it! so im wondering if i can get a flexatx mobo or is there something i can do with the case like shove a mini-itx motherboard in it? any suggestions would be nice, also he bought it for like $10 so i wouldnt be too heartbroken by throwing it out.

http://hothardware.com/articles/Chyang-Fun-CFS868-Small-Form-Factor-PC/

EDIT: i also found this flexatx motherboard/cpu on newegg for 44.99 on newegg but i think i'd rather try to put in a atom mini-itx motherboard if possible

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813185103&Tpk=flex

from the looks of it. It uses Shuttle boards.

Actually... it looks like a cheap Shuttle rip off.

Yeah that does look like a cheap Shuttle ripoff, but the layout looks identical to Shuttle's motherboards. Don't think you can buy them seperately, but who knows? The I/O Port looks like it could be a problem.

anyone think its possible to fit like a mini-atx motherboard in here i mean if they can fit in a NES why not try this right lol?

Definitely go with a Mini-ITX motherboard since it will fit inside the case with no problem.

Some motherbord figures:

Form Factor: HxD or LxW
That Chyang Fun case: 262mm×180mm
FlexATX: 229mm×191mm
Mini-ITX: 170mm×170mm
mATX: 244mm×244mm

So using the figures above, your best bet would be a mini-ITX motherboard.

but then brings me to the psu, im not sure if i should use the psu in the case which should be like 6 years old.

I wouldn't trust it. It's a generic brand PSU. And it's six years old. Not a good idea to use it.

But it looks like that case uses a proprietary PSU format. Or maybe it could be a mATX or SFX PSU. Can you measure how much room you have from the back of the case to the drive cages for a PSU?

I wouldn't trust it. It's a generic brand PSU. And it's six years old. Not a good idea to use it.

But it looks like that case uses a proprietary PSU format. Or maybe it could be a mATX or SFX PSU. Can you measure how much room you have from the back of the case to the drive cages for a PSU?

ill have to measure it out when i get home and let you guys know

heres some pics i took earlier of it next to my antec earthwatts 500w.

oh thanks for those links now im wondering about the psu. im really not trying to spend too much on this little project a pc to watch movies and surf the net would be nice

Some measurements of that case PSU would help. Also, the measurements of how much clearance you have from the drive bay to the rear of the case would help.

But judging from the pics, this PSU should fit inside the case:
SeaSonic SS-350SFE 350W SFX12V PSU

OR this PSU:
FSP Group FSP300-60GLS-MJR 300W MicroATX Power Supply

My 2c ...

About 3 weeks ago I had one of these die on me. PSU, MB, and circuitbreaker all went at the same time. Not sure if the circuitbreaker tripping killed the PC or the other way around ... (the machine had had less than 1 month on-time, but had been in storage for a while ... ).

Those two PSUs will not fit. Check the mounting hole positions, they may (like in shuttles) not be standard.

Back