SSD upgrade time

Sarra

Weaksauce
So, after waiting for too long for graphics card prices to become reasonable, I've given up on upgrading my GPU for the time being, and have decided to focus on other components that are affordable right now.

So, quick info: I've got a slightly older PC, i5 4440 no OC, 32GB of DDR3, GTX 980, and, I believe, no M.2 slot. I do have 8 SATA 3.0 ports.

For hard drives, I currently have a 120 GB SSD for Windows, a 320 GB laptop drive for overflow, a 2TB Seagate drive for large data files, and two 128 GB SSD's for my all-important, time consuming, constantly being used, video games.

My problem is, my two gaming drives are getting a bit full, all of those Minecraft mods take up space (my old FS X install from my last PC was actually 1.3 TB in total size), so I've started overflowing onto my windows drive. I've attempted to keep my SSD's at or below 50% of their rated capacity, for longevity and performance, but both gaming SSD's are about 75% full right now. My windows drive is around 30% full, but I don't want to put any more on it. And sadly, the HDD is slow enough that I notice it (MMO's, yo).

Since the games on my gaming drives actually back up their save files to Steam, it would be an easy task to move them to a different or new drive, and other than a few mods, I wouldn't really lose anything.

So, I have two paths that I'm considering for upgrading.

1) Buy a pair of larger SSD's, and add them in with my existing drives. I'm thinking 1TB or similar for capacity
2) Buy serveral smaller SSD's, 250ish GB, and replace my existing 128 GB drives, but retain them in my second system for improved performance (it's currently running a single 3TB HDD, which is... slow).

Any ideas?

I'd say a 1TB SSD but I like to keep drive count low. Maybe use the current smaller SSD that you have for Windows(assumuing they are good and not needing an upgrade) and get 1 TB SSD for games and stuff. Keep the spinners for media and stuff that doesn't benefit from an SSD. That's at least what I would do if it was my system.

I'd say a 1TB SSD but I like to keep drive count low. Maybe use the current smaller SSD that you have for Windows(assumuing they are good and not needing an upgrade) and get 1 TB SSD for games and stuff. Keep the spinners for media and stuff that doesn't benefit from an SSD. That's at least what I would do if it was my system.

Hello Sarra. Take a look at our Hybrid FireCuda drives. They come in various storage sizes (Including 1TB) but not in a 250 GB presentation however we believe they would suffice your needs. These drives drives combine the latest NAND flash technology with a traditional hard drive for a compact blend of capacity and speeds up to 5× faster than typical hard drives, all backed by a 5-year warranty.

If you are looking for SSD drives, look at our Nytro series.

Independently what drive you choose, we thank you for considering Seagate.

I was in a similar situ last year with a fast 256 SSD for my OS and a few games but nowhere near enough gaming space.
I bought a 500GB 850 EVO to last me a few years.
Games I wont play for some time get copied to hard drive, which will likely happen to you unless you get more than 1TB of SSDs.

Get a 500GB to 1TB SSD and have fun :)
You can make a sizeable partition and put your OS on it. I suggest you create the major partition sizes first. ie 100GB for OS, rest of drive partition for gaming. Delete the first partition then install OS and it will use the 100GB available space.
The other SSD is still available for games.

I use a 256GB SSD as my boot. 1TB as my games/music/general storage. Though movies/tv shows etc all sit on an external NAS, so storage space usually isn't too big an issue for me. I find this to be the best option, as I don't need large mechnical drives inside my computer creating noise/taking up space.

Yep, I'd do much the same. A 1+ TB SSD for the OS, apps, games, VMs, and anything else that truly benefits from being stored there, and use the 2 TB HDD for media files and other stuff that doesn't benefit from SSD storage. If a 1 TB SSD is a tight fit and something larger is outside the budget, then use the best of your existing SSDs for the OS.

Pull out the rest of the drives, use them for friend/family upgrades, USB/portable drives, etc.

I have a 500Gb 960 Evo for OS, 500GB SATA Ssd for game storage, and 4tb Seagate Barracuda of Plex and photo storage.

I think a combo is the best answer but a hybrid hdd might just be the easiest.

Getting a 1 TB (or more SSD) would be the best choice. Moreover, it would be more cost effective comparing to getting 2x500GB drives.

Back