SSD Tweak slowing performance??

OS1R1S

n00b
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
13
Was utilizing one of the many SSD tweaking guides that are out there. Part of the guide i was using had a few registry changes. I made the below changes per the guide:

This one is supposed to reduce shutdown time:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
WaitToKillServiceTimeout

Value: From 12000 to 1000


HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\MemoryManagement
ClearPageFileAtShutdown and LargeSystemCache

Value: From 0 to 1

The performance problem i see now is that it seems to take even longer to shutdown. Windows 7 will sit at the "Shutting down.." screen for longer than it seems it normally would. I put WaitToKillServiceTimeout back to default setting, but that made no difference. I'm wondering if the ClearPageFileAtShutdown is causing the slower shutdown???

Can anyone advise?

Thanks
 
ClearPageFileAtShutdown

Value: From 0 to 1

Of course that will take longer to shutdown. Enabling that will make the OS overwrite the page file on shutdown causing unnecessary wear on the SSD. I would set this to 0 instead of 1.
 
Last edited:
My advice would be to stop following "tweak" guides you find on random websites, and just let Win 7 manage itself. It does a pretty good job nowadays.
 
My advice would be to stop following "tweak" guides you find on random websites
I agree 100% but I never followed that advice.

That's how I got to know Acronis so intimately! LOL!

It's been my friend for at least 10yrs.
 
Why would people recommend ClearPageFileAtShutdown as a tweak for SSD's? You're increasing your writes for no real benefit :confused:
 
Pretty sure ClearPageFileAtShutdown is a security setting, not intended to improve performance. Turn it off.
 
Back
Top