• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SSD Raid question

zod96

Suspected BAD TRADER
Joined
Feb 23, 2008
Messages
2,709
If I were to RAID 2 crucial M4 128GB together, would my system boot slower than having just one drive? I know that once it windows that the RAID setup will be very fast. Its just I seem to remember when doing RAID your system will boot alot slower though. And does RAID make your system faster, like opening programs unzipping files etc or is it more of a safety thing with backing up data and such?


Thanks
 
Depends on what controller you use. My Areca, for example, adds about 30 seconds to bootup while its onboard firmware does its thing. But Onboard RAID does not have this delay.

As for performance, it depends what type of RAID you use. 0-stripe will be faster. But it really isnt necessary. A single SSD will do just fine, unless you have some unusual requirements.
 
It takes a little longer to boot because start-up now requires a look at the RAID status before booting.

If that extra coupla seconds bothers you don't do it but in many cases the rewards of RAID will make the 3-4 second longer boot time irrelevant.

You have simple questions that a simple search will resolve. ;)

Good Luck!
 
I can say from experience the speed increase on RAID 0 with SSDs is much more noticeable then RAID 0 on standard hard drives. Seek times on standard hard drives takes back a little of the performance increase on smaller files. It's not an issue on SSDs.
 
My raid 0 of Vertex 3s boots slower than a single drive by 10-15 seconds.
 
Wow, folks really care about a few seconds on boot time? I could understand launching programs and such, but boot time? Really?
 
Wow, folks really care about a few seconds on boot time? I could understand launching programs and such, but boot time? Really?
It means nothing to me and I even turn the computer on and off several times a day.

I really think this is more of a novice question for e-peeners but it is another stat. :)

The problem is many results aren't from an equal playing ground with the same game rules.

Some count this, some count that, are you using a password......and it can go on and on.

I believe I ran across some "official boot time" rules but I wasn't interested enough to actually investigate any farther.
 
Back
Top