ssd raid 0 question

venomous41

Limp Gawd
i have a intel x25-m g2 ssd, and looking to add another to go raid 0. my question is, can i go with any brand of 80 gig ssd? or can i go with a intel x25-m g1? or does it have to be the exact same make and model? thanks for any replies.

Modern Raid controllers work with any kind of drives. You could even hook it up to a mechanical drive and it would just be slowed down to the other drives speed.

Don

i dont know why a member here would till me that it had to be the same make and model of ssd to work in raid 0.

your right, it was a member at overclock.net. but i think he is a member here too. wont swear to it. but anyways, thanks for the info.
so i can raid-0 a 80 gig and a 120 gig together? and no ill effect will become from it?
do i only get 80 gigs due to the smallest drive in the array? im sure i know how it works after using raid-0 in all my systems for the last 10 years or more, but ive only used hhd's and always the same make and models.

The array will be no better than the slowest, smallest, least cache drive in the array.

Neither manfg or drive size matters.

The array will perform at the lowest drives specs.

Edit...Application wise, SSDs are no different than mechanical drives.

now to figure out how to transfer only windows and a couple games to new array.
I'd be getting the origional drive in the condition I want, then make the image, then try to install that image to the array.

You'll probably run into a problem if the RAID drivers aren't installed on the MB and you may need to add the drivers during the reinstall. I know Acronis has a universal restore feature but it does cost extra.

On the other hand you sound like a RAID novice so it would probably be better just to reinstall everything.

Maybe someone else has an easier/better idea.

Let us know how it works out for ya.

Good Luck!

Back