SSD prices increasing

Especially true with enterprise drives jumping hundreds of dollars on the higher capacity models

This was expected right? Something to do with resources and production. I don't recall specifics, just that chip production was expected to decrease like the first half of this year

This sucks, I was hoping to pick up another 4TB Teamgroup MP34.
I snagged one right before the end of the year and right before the prices really started climbing again. It's currently $45+ more than the price when I ordered mine. Even then the price had already gone up a bit from the lowest point back in mid to late November.

I snagged one right before the end of the year and right before the prices really started climbing again. It's currently $45+ more than the price when I ordered mine. Even then the price had already gone up a bit from the lowest point back in mid to late November.
Ya, I bought 2 around Xmas to put in my laptop, want to throw 1 in my Legion Go. Guess I 'll stick with 2TB til Xmas again.

Well seeins how I bought over $2k worth of 2 & 4TB 850x's late last year when prices bottomed out, I guess I could just wait a few months & start reselling them for more than I paid for them, but then that would make me a sleazeball scum of the earth scalper wouldn't it ?......

Which is something I absolutely will NEVER, EVER be !

And just an FYI, all but 4 of those drives were/are for Dec, Jan, Feb & upcoming client builds, and YES I passed most of the savings on to those clients :)

Well seeins how I bought over $2k worth of 2 & 4TB 850x's late last year when prices bottomed out, I guess I could just wait a few months & start reselling them for more than I paid for them, but then that would make me a sleazeball scum of the earth scalper wouldn't it ?......

Which is something I absolutely will NEVER, EVER be !

And just an FYI, all but 4 of those drives were/are for Dec, Jan, Feb & upcoming client builds, and YES I passed most of the savings on to those clients :)
That is not a scalping.

Maybe not technically, but still a scummy, opportunistic, greed-mongering thing to do IMHO :D
Scalping is buying something that's in high demand and low supply then reselling for a profit. That's scummy.

If you're sitting on a new in box item you bought in the past, availability is good but prices are inflated, there is nothing wrong with you selling it to make a profit from what you originally paid. Someone looking to buy that product might have to pay more for it brand new, so they're saving money and you're turning a profit. Nothing scummy happening here. Capitalism at work.

Scalping is buying something that's in high demand and low supply then reselling for a profit. That's scummy.

If you're sitting on a new in box item you bought in the past, availability is good but prices are inflated, there is nothing wrong with you selling it to make a profit from what you originally paid. Someone looking to buy that product might have to pay more for it brand new, so they're saving money and you're turning a profit. Nothing scummy happening here. Capitalism at work.
Ok then, just send me about $4K & the whole lot is all yours :D

I'll even throw in free shipping, hehehe !

j/k, cause as I said before, those drives have either already been installed in or earmarked for client builds... so I used Capitalism 101 to my advantage, cause I still made $$ from them, just in a slightly different way than what you described :D

How do you personally determine if a price is inflated on a product that has good availability?

The markup calculation you come up with will not be the same calculation that someone else would come up with. You need to define what you think an inflated price is before your post will have any tangible meaning.

How do you personally determine if a price is inflated on a product that has good availability?

The markup calculation you come up with will not be the same calculation that someone else would come up with. You need to define what you think an inflated price is before your post will have any tangible meaning.
I would say tracking the price via pcpartpicker, camelcamelcamel, or comparing it against the price you paid in the past. Inflated might be the wrong word to use. SSDs are generally going up in price across the board.

If you're selling it at less than the market rate, that provides value to someone. If you bought it in the past at a lower rate, you also make a profit. Every party benefits in this transaction.

I would say tracking the price via pcpartpicker, camelcamelcamel, or comparing it against the price you paid in the past. Inflated might be the wrong word to use. SSDs are generally going up in price across the board.

If you're selling it at less than the market rate, that provides value to someone. If you bought it in the past at a lower rate, you also make a profit. Every party benefits in this transaction.

So then after you determine how much the SSD is currently going for on PCpartpicker, how do you determine how much profit you deserve to make off selling the one you have? Do you price yours exactly the same as the lowest one on PCpartpicker? Is charging $10 over that okay? What if that technically made your drive the most expensive one on the site? Would it be okay in that case?

Expected but still unpleasant. We can only hope that prices do not skyrocket for all components at once. But even if this happens, I will always look for the best prices with Priceva.

Last edited:
Yep, I took advantage of SSD insanity last year and converted completely to SSD with 8.5 TB now in total on my workstation (512G NVME, 2x2TB SS EVO, 4TB SS EVO).

I think I got the 4TB 870 EVO for like $168 USD. With that said, I did have to RMA and get a replacement from Samsung.

I remember sometime in November I had 3 4tb Crucial MX500s in my cart for something like 160-180 apiece to swear off disk drives. I got up to go grab some water and my wallet, sat back down to my cart getting updated to "new" prices of over 200. Now they're $260 and I'm still hitting myself for not checking out faster.

Back