SSD or Watercooling?

rampantandroid

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I can nab a 120GB Vertex 3 for around 300 USD, or do a loop with my GPU and CPU for $400 - not equal, but it is one or the other.

I've already got two 150GB Raptors in RAID 0, so my HDD perf isn't TERRIBLE, but I could do better with an SSD.

On the flip side, I have a TRUE-120 Ultra on my CPU such that with a modest 3.2GHz overclock, I max my temps at 55C or so on the hottest core, and my GPU maxes at 75C.

So, what's worth the money?

:D

3.2GHz OC on a 920 is pitiful

Watercool to hit 4.2GHz

or

SSD if you like fast load times

3.2GHz OC on a 920 is pitiful

Watercool to hit 4.2GHz

or

SSD if you like fast load times

I just stopped at 3.2 because...well, I just kinda stopped...partially because I don't have 1600 RAM, I guess. I didn't hit a hard limit though, so I suspect I can hit 3.5. I honestly see no reason to go above 3.5 though. I'm not CPU limited in games it would seem, and I do not fold...so why hit 4?

SSD.

and overclock more, faster cpu = faster data getting to your vid card and with your vid card more power the better.

SSD.

and overclock more, faster cpu = faster data getting to your vid card and with your vid card more power the better.

Again, I'm really not CPU limited...

For some reason, I find sinking $400 into a WC setup more digestable than dumping $300 into a 120GB drive....probably because I find the idea of paying over $2 per GB loathesome...

I vote for SSD.

If $300 is your budget, then go with the Crucial C300 128GB for $270 (plus $3 shipping). If you can add another $25 to your budget, then get the Intel 160 GB SSD (320 series) for $325 shipped.

Last edited:
Enjoy how snappy everything is with a SSD, it will last you through several builds, and it's far more compatible than WC.

Back