• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SSD not showing up in BIOS

zzzTAG

n00b
Joined
Apr 22, 2010
Messages
11
I am in the process of installing windows 7 on my SSD drive. For the best performance I entered BIOS and changed the SATA mode from IDE to AHCI. When I rebooted I ended up with a blue screen. Changed it back to IDE, booted into Vista and did some registry changes to enable AHCI.

Ok...reboot and enter BIOS..change SATA mode from IDE to AHCI, and made sure my optical drive was set as the first in my boot priority.

Reboot...and I ended up in Vista without ever being asked to boot to CD. I reboot and enter BIOS just to notice that none of my SATA drives have been recognized there. I tried turning off all other options in the boot priority, only leaving the optical drive, but I still end up in Vista every time.

Is there anything I can do to make my BIOS find my SATA drives?


Motherboard: Abit IP35
SSD: Intel X25 G2 80GB
Optical: Samsung SH-S138A DVD RW
 
Ugh....Abit...

Well I would try to clear cmos, load setup defaults in bios, then go from there first.
 
Don't know about the HDDs, but to boot.. hit F8 at the right time during start up and just select your boot device manually? That's the way I've always done it.
 
You probably have the same problem as I did with my Abit IP35 Pro and need to use an IDE optical drive to install the SATA drivers before it recognizes anything SATA.
 
You probably have the same problem as I did with my Abit IP35 Pro and need to use an IDE optical drive to install the SATA drivers before it recognizes anything SATA.

Not sure I understand. Do you mean that I have to flash the motherboard to install the correct SATA drivers? If I change the motherboard SATA settings to IDE mode instead of AHCI everyting shows up as it is suppose to do, but when I use AHCI it cant find anything.
 
If I change the motherboard SATA settings to IDE mode instead of AHCI everyting shows up as it is suppose to do, but when I use AHCI it cant find anything.

AHCI is an advanced SATA and your board doesn't see SATA without the drivers but it does recognize IDE without the drivers.

It will recognize an IDE optical drive and after you load the SATA drivers it will recognize all SATA devices.....least that's how it was on mine.
 
AHCI is an advanced SATA and your board doesn't see SATA without the drivers but it does recognize IDE without the drivers.

It will recognize an IDE optical drive and after you load the SATA drivers it will recognize all SATA devices.....least that's how it was on mine.

I guess what I'm asking is how do I install the SATA drivers?
 
I have an Abit IP35 Pro as well, and none of my SATA drives show up in the BIOS. But everything works properly.... Once I'm in Windows, I see all my drives. Weird.

I have an Intel SSD and a WD 1TB.
 
I guess what I'm asking is how do I install the SATA drivers?

If you're installing Vista just install with SATA and AHCI enabled or RAID mode and that will install the drivers but you'll probably have to do this with an IDE optical drive as you are discovering.

I have an Abit IP35 Pro
I don't think the OP has a Pro version.

There is a workaround to the SATA driver problem on the Pro version using the JMicron chipset for the install but I don't remember it.

The strange thing is that one of my friends had the same IP35 Pro board and his board natively recognized SATA while mine didn't.

Somewhere in the production run they changed to a different version ICH9R chipset? Who knows but that's just my experience.
 
cpuz says Model: IP35 (Intel P35+ICH9/R).

I was hoping not to install windows 7 with the SATA in IDE mode, as I've read several places that to get the best performance out of my SSD it should be installed in AHCI mode.

I have never flashed the BIOS on my motherboard, and it is over 2 years old. Could that solve the problem?
 
I have never flashed the BIOS on my motherboard, and it is over 2 years old. Could that solve the problem?

Probably not but go ahead and give it a shot.

I'm thinkin' you're not understanding what the situation is and I don't know how to explain it any better but you need an IDE optical drive to install the SATA/AHCI drivers.
 
well...are you talking about installing those drivers in windows?

Yep, the drivers are included on your Vista install CD and when you do your install set your drive to SATA/AHCI mode.

This will install the correct drivers.
 
Last edited:
the whole point is to have the bios set to AHCI when installing windows. Please explain how I can install them in windows before installing windows :p
 
the whole point is to have the bios set to AHCI when installing windows
when you do your install set your drive to SATA/AHCI mode.

You're doing the install with the BIOS set to AHCI but you need to do it from an IDE drive.

After the install you can connect your SATA drive and everything will be OK.

This what I had to do on my IP35 Pro with the ICH9R chipset and I'll bet you hafta do the same thing.

It was not unusual for some of the chipsets at that time.

The BIOS is loaded before the OS install and tells it (the OS) what drivers to load when it installs to the hard drive.
 
What I did is install the OS in IDE Emulation mode then installed AHCI drivers and did the registry trick to switch to AHCI then rebooted, set the board to AHCI and it worked.
 
Back
Top