SSD + nforce 780i SLI on windows 8

xshaney

n00b
I am trying to get windows 8 to allow defragment to work [trim] using my SSD on an nforce 780i SLI. I do not know what to do... help? :(

15i3ywk.jpg

Defragment is not TRIM. You absolutely do not want to defrag your SSD.

in windows 8 Defragment on SSD will read as TRIM instead of Defrag. I have a HP laptop with SSD and windows 8 and I open the Defragment apps and click to run and it read as TRIM. I've did some research on windows 8 and SSD and many people say that defrag on SSD using windows 8 are recommend.

Hello, In Windows 7 - we turned off defrag for SSDs as you mention in your entry; but in Windows 8, we have changed the defrag tool to do a general optimization tool that handles different kinds of storage, and in the case of SSD's it will send 'trim' hints for the entire volume;

SSDs are storage devices made of flash memory; flash memory unlike hard disks are block erasable devices - they can be written to at a byte level but need to erased at a block level; Trim is a storage level hint that was introduced in the Windows 7 days to indicate that Windows is not using certain regions of the storage device; NTFS will send these trim hints when files are deleted or moved from those regions; SSDs consume these hints to perform a cleanup in the background called as 'reclaim' that helps them get ready for next writes. The SSD may choose to perform the optimization immediately, store the information for later optimization or throw away the hint completely and not use it for optimization since it does not have time to perform this optimization immediately.

In Windows 8, when the Storage Optimizer (the new defrag tool) detects that the volume is mounted on an SSD - it sends a complete set of trim hints for the entire volume again - this is done at idle time and helps to allow for SSDs that were unable to cleanup earlier - a chance to react to these hints and cleanup and optimizer for the best performance. We do not do a traditional defrag (moving files to optimizer there location for space and performance) on SSDs.

Thank you for your question and I hope this clarifies the need to run the Storage Optimizer on a regular basis.

If defrag isn't recommend for SSD using windows 8 then why others said it is OK to do in windows 8?

And then again if I am not reading you correctly then my bad but to perform an TRIM on SSD is by using windows defragment. So that Windows Defragment will send TRIM command to SSD instead of defrag it.

or should I say Disk Optimizer.

Cant you check the TRIM status with
Code:
fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

Although I would expect the problem is probably that the nforce driver does not send TRIM commands to the device.

Cant you check the TRIM status with
Code:
fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

Although I would expect the problem is probably that the nforce driver does not send TRIM commands to the device.

It shows DisableDeleteNotify = 0

Does that mean TRIM is on? or it is off?

I think the nvidia driver is the culprit, you could uninstall it and go for the Microsoft AHCI driver and see if things change.

Although I would expect the problem is probably that the nforce driver does not send TRIM commands to the device

I think the nvidia driver is the culprit, you could uninstall it and go for the Microsoft AHCI driver and see if things change.

Yep.

And AFAIK there's nothing you can do with the NVidia software to make it work.

Back